Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

midhusband

Civitavecchia To Rome

10 posts in this topic

Just booked on the Ventura this summer and it calls at Civitavecchia for Rome.We have cruised from Civitavecchia before and I know its over an hour away from Rome.Has anyone any advice on how to do a tour to Rome without doing an expensive ships tour .

I believe you can walk from the dock gates (where a complementary shuttle will drop you) to Civitavecchia station as it's less than 1km and quite a pleasant walk along the promenade.

The train from Civitavecchia to Rome takes just over an hour, and there are a couple every hour.  You can get off at S. Pietro (10 minute walk from St. Peter's Square and HOHO busses stop there) or continue to Termini (the last station for Rome).

Note that I haven't been, but will be visiting in May so have looked into it myself :)  Have a great trip!

Hi we went on Ventura last oct and called at Civitavechia.  We did think about doing the train but having spoken to someone who had done it before and had a bad experience we decided to book a basic excursion to get us there and back.  The day we arrived at the port there was a transport strike in rome so only one train a day was running.  Apparently this happens quite frequently so i would def book a excursion with the cruise co we also found another company called cruisingexcursions.com who seem quite good 

Hi we went on Ventura last oct and called at Civitavechia.  We did think about doing the train but having spoken to someone who had done it before and had a bad experience we decided to book a basic excursion to get us there and back.  The day we arrived at the port there was a transport strike in rome so only one train a day was running.  Apparently this happens quite frequently so i would def book a excursion with the cruise co we also found another company called cruisingexcursions.com who seem quite good

Yes Louise your advice regarding the trains is correct. I have been to Civitavechia several times on different cruises. Once on Azamara Journey the ship sailed without one couple who had used the train and due to timings of the trains they missed the ship.

It proved to be much more expensive than if they had done a tour , they had to pay for an overnight stay in a hotel and then organise their transport to pick up the ship in the next port . They were in fact our table companions !

My late wife and I did the train from Civitavechia to Rome and return

The trains are usually crowded.Make sure you get an early train back and look out for Civitavechia station and ask locals to inform you when it is approaching sation

We had plenty of time in Rome approx 3 1/2 hours

Did the open top bus tour very good

Michael Tuska

Visited Rome from civitavecchia with p and o many times a free shuttle to the dock gates where there is ticket office to book the train and a short walk to the station make sure you book on the fast train which goes straight to st Peter's square leave enough time to get back to ship on the return the normal train takes over an hour and a half 

I have only travelled from the Port to Rome on an excursion for the same reasons as previously mentioned… missing the ship etc.

However I would say that whilst I like the walk from the ship into town is nice for some exercise you must take water with you as it can be quite long (depending on how far back the ship is parked) and it takes around 20 mins or so, depending on how fast you walk.  :)

Hi, we went to Rome on the train last July when cruising in with Royal Caribbean.

Used the 'Ron in Rome' web site.

The walking tour on the site is very good. Had plenty of time to get back.

Done the walking tour in reverse and got the train back to the port from near the pyramid (?) metro station.

Only thing was it was very hot so take plenty to drink.

Hi, we did the train on our very first cruise and thought it was a brilliant way to do your own tour. Did not have any problems and walked from St Peters to The Roman Ruins etc, Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Made sure we had plenty of time to get back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Always do our own tours and have never had a problem yet!!

We did chat to some other passengers who wanted to do their own tour, but had been put off by the onboard sales team advising them that the trains were very unreliable. They ended up forking out approx £80 each, we spent about £20 between us.