Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elderlycruiser

Formal Evenings Mini Dress Code

34 posts in this topic

My wife and I have just returned from a cruise on Oceana, we chose freedom dining because we like the freedom to dine when and were we like. Most evenings we dined in the Plaza, because they had great theme menus. But on Formal evenings the feeling of dressing up and dining out was tainted by the fact that some passengers did not even have a jacket on, some worn jeans and a T-shirt. Would it not be possible to ask P&O to insist that on Formal evenings a mini standard of jacket and tie is required throughout the ship. What do other cruisers think, go idea, bad idea?

Elderlycruiser

You will find this topic is being well discussed on another thread. ;) Ron

I do feel it is nice to be able to dress up, not every night, however formal evenings are a lovely event and these days in the uk people go out very casually dresses these days than years ago so its nice to be able to dress up on a ship. I do get cross when they let people in the dinning room not dressed in formal wear!

Fudge and Bailey like this

To insist on a minimum dress code throughout the ship on formal evenings is, I think, expecting too much. Certainly, I would expect it to be adhered to in the main and speciality dining rooms but not (sorry, elderly cruiser) in the cafeteria. Those who do not wish to dress formally do need to be able to eat somewhere. Certainly we always look forward to and usually enjoy the formal dress evenings, which still add just that touch of class to those cruise lines that insist upon it.

So here is a question….. Usually on black and white nights I usually adhere to the colours by wearing separates but this time wrong I have decided on long dresses…… One a deep purple, one black and one blue….. So I shall not be able to adhere to the black and white theme…. would anyone actually care?  :unsure:

ron likes this

So here is a question….. Usually on black and white nights I usually adhere to the colours by wearing separates but this time wrong I have decided on long dresses…… One a deep purple, one black and one blue….. So I shall not be able to adhere to the black and white theme…. would anyone actually care?  :unsure:

Nope, I'm sure you will look gorgeous.  ;)  ;)

The Pesky Pirate likes this

Hi PP

I have seen ladies wearing black or white as well as black & white, so I would not worry.  Therefore, the  black dress alone would be fine but you could always wear pearls or a white corsage, if you prefer to wear both colours.

If the code specifies formal then in my mind it should apply across the whole ship

Indeed it used to be that way, certainly on P&O, and also for the whole evening.

But things have changed and as long as formal wear is worn in specified venues as stated then cannot see a problem if others go to buffet, theatre and certain bars in smart casual.

Hi  If you wish to follow the recommended dress code go ahead; do, but if other don't just accept the situation. However, I do find it a little disappointing when others decide to go "casual" it just spoils the ambience on formal evenings.  I have sialed on certain ships where country club casual is the recommended dress code (Azamara, Seabourn) and I don't think it's a bad idea no one turns up in jeans and T-shirts.  On other lines Crystal and Silversea formal evenings are adhered to by all passengers.  If you don't like the dress arrangements on one particular line the simple solution is to sail with a different comapny you will find one which you approve of.

if people want to wear shorts or jeans and t-shirts then go to butlins, in the evening at least trousers and shirt for men and dress or smart trousers for ladies.a little effort is not hard,the way things are going they will be turning up in swimwear.

Not wishing to put the cat amongst the pigeons I would pose the following question. Should formal nights be done away with? As some members know I spend a lot of time on cruise ships and have noticed the change as more and more people now ignore the recommended dress code on formal nights. At the beginning of June I was on Azamara where there are no formal nights just smart casual. People dressed as if going to a restaurant which indeed is what they were doing. MSC followed at the end of June where formal nights in many cases looked no different from what people were wearing for smart casual. This month was Fred Olsen where although the vast majority adhered to the dress code a large number of men wore lounge suits as opposed to DJ's which was the same as Fred Olsen in March this year. Finally P&O where the majority adhere to the dress code but with more and more men wearing lounge suits.

Yes I appreciate that formal nights are a tradition but like the Parade of the Baked Alaska, has the tradition had its day?

From what you're saying OWT it would seem so...the cruise lines must be looking at feedback and making this decision for less formal attire, and good on them for that.

Would we like to go the whole hog and go country casual as is norm on some high end ships? Can't for the life of me see why not.

Wonder what the Cunarders would think of it as they're the line that's the most traditional...

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Hello,Well here is what one Cunarder thinks.If you want to go to dinner dressed as if you had just left the pool that is your decision.Stick to a line that accepts your decision.I for one cannot agree with you, but of course respect it.I will stick to Cunard as I like formallity.Rodger.

Hello,Well here is what one Cunarder thinks.If you want to go to dinner dressed as if you had just left the pool that is your decision.Stick to a line that accepts your decision.I for one cannot agree with you, but of course respect it.I will stick to Cunard as I like formallity.Rodger.

Who mentioned pool wear?..we're talking lounge suits and country casual is shirt, trousers and a jacket with no tie.

If you still want to go with your dinner jacket then that's fine as well..but it's about having choices.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Good morning Rodger,

I don't recall anyone mentioning pool wear. In the future even Cunard may change their system as less formal wear becomes the norm and they will of course go the way the majority of their passengers want them to.

OWT

Terminator likes this