Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Paper Books Or E-Book Readers Or Tablet/ipad

38 posts in this topic

Hi  I definitely spend more time reading while I am cruising or on a land based holiday, and I assume I am not alone.  I purchased an e-book reader (Kindle) about three years ago which I find useful.  It’s certainly lighter than carrying paper books about and is particularly useful when undertaking a holiday involving flying.  Most libraries onboard most are quite poor (although I am not a great lover of Cunard I will admit the Library on the QM2 is well stocked) and find my Kindle indispensible.  Do you prefer a proper paper book or are e book reader/tablet your preference?

Just bought a Nexus 7…..what a great piece of equipment.

Small and portable.

Simple to use even for a technophobe like me.

I'm an avid reader whilst on holiday and often ask for specific books as birthday presents.

How I'll go about it now I have no idea...

A Kindle for me too LA. It's very lightweight and the text/background colours make for easy reading. Plus of course, you can load more books than you'll need - but useful 'just in case'.

It also slips easily in my trouser pocket when walking around the ship. And, the bookmark never falls out :rolleyes: .

Yes - it's a Kindle for me.

cheers

Harvey

Absolutely a Kindle.  I don't want to decide if/what I want to read on a cruise, and I certainly don't want to pack a dozen paperbacks just in case!

Kindle is small and light, and you can read whatever you want without anyone knowing (everyone loves a trashy novel occasionally, don't they?)

I also use my iPad for online articles/forums/Reddit or anything where photos are involved.  Much prefer the Kindle for actual novels though, because of the display.

Always enjoy reading books as part of my holiday experience.  Thanks to my wife's tuition, I managed to download the 2 most recent Ian Rankins' onto my recently purchased Samsung tablet.  It made for an easy reading experience during a month's tour of Australia and the outward and inward stopovers, so I guess I'm hooked.  I will still take the 2 most recent Lee Childs' in their hardback form (received as gifts) when we take the caravan to France in May though.

I take my iPad Air. Always fill it up with downloaded magazines or books before the holiday. I may put the odd movie or TV show on, too. It's great to put my feet up on board and have a choice of Film, TV, reading or just playing a game on it. Or just plug my headphones in to it and relax to my music. Aaaaaaah, isn't technology wonderful sometimes?

Cruiseada likes this

I prefer to read a proper book, i feel like im moving through the story more when i can actually see the pages left to read go down, i dont pay attention to the % bar on my kindle, and sometimes get dissapointed when the book suddenly ends lol, but i do take my kindle on holiday to save space :D

I was adament that I would never have a Kindle as like the idea of reading books. However it got to the stahe where my house over run with books as I like to keep them and re read so have ended up having a Kindle. Now this is the best thing I have ever bought and find it hard going back to the traditional book

We have a kindle & IPad but the kindle is better as you can read outside without the screen being effected. The IPad is ok for reading indoors but the screen display is not so good in sunlight.

Like others I thought I would prefer a book but until you try the kindle you cannot really compare.

I love my Sony EReader but it is purely for holidays - while at home I always read a proper book.  I'm lucky in that I am quite happy reading the same book over again, so I rarely buy new books these days - I buy them for my E Reader.   Lovely compromise

love my kindle but only read when on holiday, large text so i don't have to wear my glasses and no glare from the sun.  Also love the ipad but useless in sunshine!

I'm new to this forum. Hi everyone!

Did you know that you can read Kindle books without having a kindle? Amazon has some software so you can read the books on your PC or laptop.

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I just found out :)

Anyway, I just downloaded this free Cruise Romance a few minutes ago, and that will be my Saturday night reading.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K91URFS It's free btw.

I do read a lot whilst on holiday, and prefer to take my kindle rather than loads of books, plus the extra space means i can fit another pair of sandals in!!!!

Its got to be a book everytime. I like the turning of the page and seeing how much more I have left to read. Cannot get used to using a kindle its not the same.

I'm a book man myself but, having recently published my own book, have been amazed to see the kindle version outselling the paperback version on a ratio of 3 to 1.

I can see the conveniences a kindle, especially when traveling etc, but I prefer the more tactile experience of holding a real book I think.