Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Do You Always Go Ashore When The Ship Is In Port?

52 posts in this topic

Hi  I wonder if I am unusual in that if I have previously visited a port and found it uninspiring (Vigo springs to mind along with others) I often don't leave the ship.  I find that I can create a relaxing "sea day" for myself and essentially have the run of the ship to myself plus a few fellow passengers, not having to get up early to find a well positioned sun loungers, no queues for the self-service restaurant and reduced prices in the Spa.  Do you always go ashore or do you sometimes just enjoy a peaceful break from the crowds.

We always go ashore, even if we have been there before, or even if the place is uninspiring as you say. Basically just to have a change of surroundings or to have a proper walk instead of walking around the promenade deck a dozen times. Or to relax outside a local bar/restaurant. We may only stay ashore a couple of hours, but it just makes a change. 

We always go ashore even if only for a walk. Land Ahoy- if you don't like Vigo (We don't)Try a wine tasting tour to Cambados ,visit La Toja Island or Compostela.After visiting these places we now look forward to Vigo.

We always go ashore even if only for a walk. Land Ahoy- if you don't like Vigo (We don't)Try a wine tasting tour to Cambados ,visit La Toja Island or Compostela.After visiting these places we now look forward to Vigo.

Hi  Wine tasting doesn't appeal to me.  It's a personal decision but I can't understand why anybody would buy I good bottle of wine when you can purchase a malt whisky for a similar and often cheaper price, maybe it's a Northern thing. Thank goodness we are all different or life would be boring!

PS Have been to Santiagp De Compostela twice both times from La Corona (another uninspiring port IMO)

Pebbles93 likes this

When we have visited a port before we still go ashore for a stroll even if it's just for a short time as sometimes things can have changed from a previous visit.

Like Seawitch We have done La Toja Island from Vigo and it is a really beautiful area when you get out of Vigo itself.We had lunch in a fabulous parador on the journey there and had a really great time.

Like many ports the immediate port vicinity in Vigo is not very exciting you really need to venture further to really appreciate it.

However I do appreciate what Land Ahoy says about enjoying peaceful time on board when you have visited a port before .

It doesn't matter how many times you have visited a particular port there is always something new you can find. Even the port areas have hidden gems if you are prepared to look for them. Here is a site that some of you may find useful. Just select the country and then the port and be surprised at what there is to do.

www.whatsinport.com

CruiseHL likes this

A lot of good points made for going ashore, even if you been to a particular port more than once but I actually think it depends on how you feel on the day.  If you've perused the excursion options and haven't booked anything of interest then if you wake up on the day and prefer to stay on board, I can't fault you.  Sometimes it's nice to stay on board in port as the ships quieter, more relaxing and if the weathers great, even better.  I love going ashore and seeing new places but can definitely understand why, at times, you'd prefer to stay on the ship.  I've done it myself more than once and I'm sure I'll do it again. 

I reckon there's always something to do, even if it means getting a taxi/train/bus a little further afield.  

Alex and I love sampling local delicacies, so at the very least I imagine we'd get off for a walk about and some lunch.

We don't have that problem yet though, as we're still new to cruising.  The only port we've done twice is Bergen, and there's just so much to see and do there I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

If it is a port that I have been to numerous times like Gibraltar I might stay on board and it is nice not to have a lot of people around.

I'm the same with Vigo...nice little place for the first couple of visits but I'm bored with it now so stay onboard.

I have only been to Vigo twice and both times it rained… Its a bit like Bergen I suppose… remember to take a brolly..  :)

We were so lucky the first time we went to Bergen (May 2013) as it was beautiful.  We were back in June and it was miserable.

Apparently miserable is much more common... :(

The only time I dont get off is if the weather is bad. Its always worth a mooch about somewhere even if you have been before!

My uncle literally never gets off the ship regardless of port! Bonkers.

Personally, I've not done enough cruises to have doubled up on ports - they are the highlight of the cruise for me and the cruise we choose is 100% based on the itinerary!

We always get off, and have usually booked one of the excursions. Not been on that many cruises so have not visited the same places more than once.

On our Azura New Year Caribbean cruise we did get off at every port. Even the ports that people had told us beforehand to stay onboard. It was these very ports that we enjoyed the most :) For me i could not stay on the ship when it was in port. I would much rather get off and find something new.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I agree willow_12. People cruise to broaden their knowledge and see different places and you wont see them by staying on the ship. As I have said many times before, it doesn't matter how many times you visit a port there is always something new to be found if you are prepared to look.

willow_12 likes this

i always like to get off the ship when at shore to see different places but if it is somewhere i have been a few times i use the opportuinity to

make the most of the ship when its quieter and less people on

Furby likes this