Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Harvey

Drinking Alcohol.

28 posts in this topic

During almost every thread on 'Smoking', and there have been one or two, a 'smoker' nearly always says "Ah! But what about the Drinkers?".

So - I thought I'd start a thread on the smokers' behalf and see if it gets as strong views - or as some would say - sarcasm.

Question:- Do people having a drink on a ship cause as much consternation as people smoking on a ship?

Have fun. :rolleyes:

cheers

Harvey

Unfortunately, Harvey I have met some people (both men & women) who were loud and obnoxious when fuelled by alcohol. 

I have reported someone for being foulmouthed and crude but where possible, I just keep my distance.

Prefer it when drink makes people happy but maybe I just don't get the need for booze, especially when it changes an individual's personality.  I enjoy the odd glass of champers when on holiday but in all honesty, I prefer tea and I can still have a good time if in the right company.

cruiser 2 likes this

During almost every thread on 'Smoking', and there have been one or two, a 'smoker' nearly always says "Ah! But what about the Drinkers?".

So - I thought I'd start a thread on the smokers' behalf and see if it gets as strong views - or as some would say - sarcasm.

Question:- Do people having a drink on a ship cause as much consternation as people smoking on a ship?

Have fun. :rolleyes:

cheers

Harvey

Certainly looking forward to the fun Harvey.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, Harvey I have met some people (both men & women) who were loud and obnoxious when fuelled by alcohol. 

I have reported someone for being foulmouthed and crude but where possible, I just keep my distance.

Prefer it when drink makes people happy but maybe I just don't get the need for booze, especially when it changes an individual's personality.  I enjoy the odd glass of champers when on holiday but in all honesty, I prefer tea and I can still have a good time if in the right company.

Good morning again Sheila.

I can understand your point but in all honesty, whether I've been lucky or not, in my many cruises I have never witnessed what I would refer to as 'over the top' drunken behaviour.

Heard lots of stories but never actually witnessed an occasion.

On the other side of the coin I have heard foul language but can confirm it wasn't drink fueled. 

With regard to your 'happiness' indicator, then I am in complete agreement. The dullest cruise dinner tables I have ever frequented have been those where little alcohol is being consumed.

Cheers.

Fudge and Harvey like this

I shall look forward to the comments from cruisers who appear to consume copious quantities of alcohol  Apéritifs in their cabins.

Personally my wife and I prefer to get out amongst the ships atmosphere prior to dinner, though we have been known to have the odd G&T in the bath while getting ready for the evening's entertainment.

Certainly We would never view cabin drinking as an alternative venue, unless of course...

8594900702_831387c77e_z.jpg

Hi  On a personal level I am not too bothered about passengers drinking or smoking on a ship and I can say that my enjoyment of cruising as not been affected by either.  Both are legal pursuits and provided the passengers follow the local regulations they aren't doing anything wrong and society usaully takes a dim view of those who put themselves above the law.  I do not book cruises where drunken behaviour is more likely to occur - these include "party" cruise lines such as Carnival and short cruises which I assume may attract a higher percentage of stag and hen parties.

DavidH, sheila, Cruiseada and 3 others like this

Someone consuming alcohol on a ship doesn't necessarily impact other people (though those who drink in excess can, but that's not the question).

Those who smoke on a ship do necessarily impact other people because of passive smoke and the smell left behind.

Someone drinking on the balcony next to you (or above you, or below you) won't stop you using your balcony or cause harm to you and your family.

Someone drinking in the pool area won't detract your use of the same area or cause harm to you and your family.

So I don't think the two are comparable.  Frankly I'm happy for people to kill themselves in whatever way they want as long as they don't impact others, be that through drink, smoking or food.  Smoking is the only one that impacts other people, so it's the only one I have much of an issue with.

Consuming alcohol on a ship does not physically affect other passengers except if a drunk hit you or blundered into you. What does affect me is (possibly drunk) people loudly returning to their cabin shouting goodnight to their new-found chums and letting the door slam. On an earlier point we don't drink in the cabin either, much rather be in one of the bars. It is interesting and a little worrying to realise that it takes a drink or two to make people come out of their shells and how much more relaxed people are when they've had a few.

Oldworldtraveller and dst87 like this

Hi  On a personal level I am not too bothered about passengers drinking or smoking on a ship and I can say that my enjoyment of cruising as not been affected by either.  Both are legal pursuits and provided the passengers follow the local regulations they aren't doing anything wrong and society usaully takes a dim view of those who put themselves above the law.  I do not book cruises where drunken behaviour is more likely to occur - these include "party" cruise lines such as Carnival and short cruises which I assume may attract a higher percentage of stag and hen parties.

I aree LA.   Very sensible and objective post.

Has anyone noticed how noisy it can get in the MDR the more people drink , mind this can occur anywhere where there is a low ceiling?

Richard - re - your two bottles…. you will find plenty of them on ships already  - take that which ever way you choose but no offence meant to anyone…. just a little humorous  :blink:  :)

Richard - re - your two bottles…. you will find plenty of them on ships already  - take that which ever way you choose but no offence meant to anyone…. just a little humorous  :blink:  :)

I appreciate your humour TPP - but be aware that not all on this forum have the humour gene. (Just look at the Smoking thread.)  ;)  :rolleyes:

cheers

Harvey

Good evening SR

Unfortunately, I too have witnessed foul language from individuals both drunk and sober. When I asked if they could find another adjective to use their response was,

wait for it .........

"What is an adjective?"

Think that answered my question, don't you? ;)  :rolleyes:

Following my initial despair, it certainly caused me to chuckle.

Oldworldtraveller and Fudge like this

I aree LA.   Very sensible and objective post.

Good morning ladies.

On a personal note I tend to recognise what each cruise that I take is about. Hence I not only cruise mainstream but also enjoy the odd short cruise - though I would never consider a short cruise as a way of deciding whether or not I would like that particular ship or cruise line.

My point being of course that I can go and enjoy whatever on the understanding I know what to expect.

When in Rome.... 

Land Ahoy and Harvey like this

Good evening SR

Unfortunately, I too have witnessed foul language from individuals both drunk and sober. When I asked if they could find another adjective to use their response was,

wait for it .........

"What is an adjective?"

Think that answered my question, don't you? ;)  :rolleyes:

Following my initial despair, it certainly caused me to chuckle.

Never experienced bad language or behaviour on a ship because of excess alcohol. Have only heard it from those to whom it comes naturally.

Well said.

It would appear a pretty clear message is coming across.

Good morning ladies.

On a personal note I tend to recognise what each cruise that I take is about. Hence I not only cruise mainstream but also enjoy the odd short cruise - though I would never consider a short cruise as a way of deciding whether or not I would like that particular ship or cruise line.

My point being of course that I can go and enjoy whatever on the understanding I know what to expect.

When in Rome.... 

Hi  I'm reassured to hear that my visions of a Studio 54 ambience ( younger members on this forum ask your parents) on short cruises is misplaced.  Howvever, I have a second reservation I don't really think a short cruise is really "a proper cruise" it's a break and I will say it quietly in this forum I do go on short break land holidays instead (I realise real cruisers may believe that I am the anti-christ in this respect.  However, I may reconsider my options and try a 3-4 night cruise, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Terminator likes this

My comment to LA was really on the first two sentences rather than the last.   I would know absoluely nothing about the behaviour of people on 'short' cruises.  The shortest cruise we have done was for 5 nights - really the shortest length of time we would consider travelling to Southampton for.    

I can see I will have to be very careful with what I agree with in future ;)

The shortest cruise we have been on was a 4 night break too Amsterdam and Bruges due to the same reasons as Lulcat plus no issues about drinking ;) Ron

My answer to this question is decidedly 'NO'. As a general rule you can distance yourself from a drinker but how many times have I gone up on deck to enjoy the view and fresh morning air only to be greeted by a fug of cigarette smoke drifting across the deck. On Britannia for example, it was necessary to either walk through this horrible stink to get to the Epicurean Restaurant or make a detour and go via the other side of the ship. So far I have not come across anyone suffering the effects of too much alcohol. Maybe I've just been lucky.

My answer to this question is decidedly 'NO'. As a general rule you can distance yourself from a drinker but how many times have I gone up on deck to enjoy the view and fresh morning air only to be greeted by a fug of cigarette smoke drifting across the deck. On Britannia for example, it was necessary to either walk through this horrible stink to get to the Epicurean Restaurant or make a detour and go via the other side of the ship. So far I have not come across anyone suffering the effects of too much alcohol. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Good morning again Embo. A man/woman after my own heart.

I used to make that detour - along the starboard side of the pool deck - to avoid the unpleasant small of smoke. The other place was at the stern near the Sunset Bar.

As for alcohol, well i love it. particularly good wines with good food. They go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned and I've yet to see a question on a life insurance proposal form that asks 'do you drink"?

But there is always one "Do you smoke"?wink.png  

Embo likes this

One of the biggest turn offs, on board a cruise on Azura, was when a pin glass shattered next to my feet whilst eating lunch on arrival on board for the first time. This was a 12 day so no excuses being a booze cruise! We also saw several incidents of poor behaviour due to drink which has meant we will not go on that particular ship again.

One of the biggest turn offs, on board a cruise on Azura, was when a pin glass shattered next to my feet whilst eating lunch on arrival on board for the first time. This was a 12 day so no excuses being a booze cruise! We also saw several incidents of poor behaviour due to drink which has meant we will not go on that particular ship again.

Good morning Fred

With a total of 36 nights on Azura over 2 cruises I have never witnessed any such behaviour on Azura.

Indeed, across the fleet and with some 273 nights, I still can't recall any incident fuelled by excess alcohol.

All the more amazing when one considers the cheaper beverage costs on P&O. wink.png wink.png