Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Your First Pop Concert

28 posts in this topic

Hi  Most young people enjoy pop music and eventually most attend their first live concert.  I went to see Atomic Rooster (Carl Emerson was the drummer and found fame as a member of ELP).  To my surprise I enjoyed the support group more: a Scottish rock band called Nazareth who had a few hit singles subsequently.  Who did you see in your first live concert?

RiverSong likes this

First live concert of anyone famous was Lindisfarne - they were fantastic - it was in a small venue where everyone was standing - really enjoyable.

Hi  I'm envious of those who have seen the Pistols and the Beatles, I saw the Stranglers supporting The Who at Wembley Stadium but they couldn't compete with The Clash who I saw at Manchester Apollo on The London Calling Tour.

Went to see David Bowie and Slade but cannot remember which was the first concert because it was such a long time ago.

Sex Pistols were funny it was before they got fame and they threw beer glasses (plastic) into the crowd and then walked off stage in a huff when the crowd threw theirs back. Stranglers were epic as were Never mind the Buzzcocks and The clash.

Bo Diddley, with a German band called The Rattles. Micky Most was the compere at the old Gaumont Theatre in Sheffield (now the site of Jessops department store, I believe). Circa 1962.

Earliest memory Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders (with Eric Stewart before he went on to 10CC fame) in a local hall, The band Yes in Harrogate but the ones that really stick out was Emerson Lake and Palmer at the old Wembley arena and again Leeds Town Hall and Jethro Tull supported by a folk band (was it Steeleye Span?) also at Leeds Town Hall.

Who is going to be the first to say they have seen Matt Munro or Frank Sinatra in concert because if you go by the music and cabaret artists on P&O thats the majority of what they play and they think we are all over 75 and fans.

I'm definitely not over 75 and I love Matt Munro and Frank Sinatra and Perry Como and a lot of others of those era.   In fact the last song I downloaded was Nancy Wilson singing How Glad I Am - which is a great song IMO, however old you are.   Doesn't mean I would want to hear them all the time on a cruise though - but as I rarely 'do' the entertainment, it's not likely to happen.

Hi  I can't say I have seen Frank or Matt but have heard  Petula Clark, Andy Wiliams. & Grimethorpe Colliery Brass band plus groups such the Jam, Zeppelin, Nirvana and middle of the road acts such as The Seekers, 10cc etc.  I have a wide range in  music and so I would be happy to have a more diverse choice of music on a cruise ship, but most do play it safe.

The Levellers, and they still tour now been a few times since, but I still class Guns & Roses as my first real gig never seen anything like that before.  

Hi  You can't beat a bit of Axel and Slash, The concert I went to they were only 50 minutes later coming on it's must have been one of their most prompt concerts ever!

RiverSong likes this

cant remember for definate the first one, could have been barry manilow(the shame) have seen whitney houston and a few others but the best by far was oasis at man city stadium

I think it was Michael Jackson in Leeds, on the Bad Tour

I saw him twice in all and Prince also twice but the best ever never to be beaten was Barbra Streisand at Wembley in 1994  AWESOME

My first concert was to see Cliff Richard, my sister was a big fan NOT me I went under protest. One of the supporting acts was Gerry Dorsey who later became Englebert Humperdink. I didn't like him then and I never changed my mind. The first concert I went to for myself was The Beatles :D

I am a huge Prog rock fan, so ELP are a fave. Carl is still playing in his own band and currently touring with Asia (John Wetton ex King Crimson, Geoff Downes ex Buggles)

First concert, Queen Alexandra Palace, London.

Land Ahoy likes this