Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Onboard Photographers - What's Your Opinions?

57 posts in this topic

Hi  I used to buy the odd photograph from the onboard photographers but after quite a few cruisers I can't remember the last time I purchased one.  Infact I often politely decline the offer to have my photograph taken especially during meal times I find it a little intrusive.  Do you think purchasing an onboard photograph is a good memory of your cruise or do you do as I do have take your own and with the available digital software programmes these days you can "make" them as good as those taken on the ship?

PS At least one cruise line (Silversea) no longer has onboard photographers.

Well sign me up for the next Silversea cruise!

I don't particularly like cruise photographers, but at least in ports you can just ignore them or decline politely while walking past.

The meal-time photographers I find intrusive and unnecessary.  I take my own photos while on board, and typically if I wanted a photo of Alex and I together most waiters or bar staff would be happy to oblige when asked.

That said, if it didn't make them money they wouldn't do it.  If other people enjoy having their photo taken and paying top dollar for each addition to their album I'm more than happy for them to subsidise my cruise :)

seawitch and ron like this

Hi Land Ahoy I think you said it yourself "you used to when you were new to cruising" I think for the first few cruises everyone gets them.

I remember a cruise we did back in 1998 when we had our first digital camera we must have been trend setters as everyone was in awe of being able to see a picture without developing and being able to delete it if it was rubbish. I think people bought ships pictures then as you never knew what was going to come back when your own were developed but in todays camera world ship photographer's are no longer really needed. 

I agree 100% I hate it when they come round during meal times but I guess they are just trying to make a living like the rest of us and a polite no always does the trick.

They as many others on ships have a job to do even if it's freelance, just a polite no thank you with a smile goes a long way, I must admit I do enjoy looking at the photos in the galleries but keeping my remarks to myself.

ron likes this

I found the best photographers were on the Balmoral when we were on a couple of years ago. Both onboard and in the ports .  I didnt find the ones on the black tie nights intrusive at all . i dont photograph well but it is the best photos of our family we have had .

I sometimes dont mind the odd one, but already got loads, so dont need any more. I mean you are copped when you board (or just before), then the port ones going down the gangway, then the meal time ones, as others have said i find them intrusive. I know they are only doing their job. If i have nothing to do i tend to talk to them regards photography, as it is my hobby, on my last cruise my camera was more upto date than theirs, i have a Nikon, i use adobe lightroom, and elements 12, like shooting in the raw, gives me better scope to get a true image.

Ah yes sorry ships photogs, overall i dont mind them as i say only doing their job, i hate traffic wardens but once agbain only doing their job., :P

freonwarrior likes this

Personally, I think the photographers would generate more sales if they made the photos smaller.

Portrait size is ok for a formal shot but not for something I consider to be a snapshot.

We also find photographers in the dining room to be intrusive and generally would politely decline but now they tell us that they have to meet their daily quota.

It appears that everyone has to meet their targets these days.

Well sign me up for the next Silversea cruise!

I don't particularly like cruise photographers, but at least in ports you can just ignore them or decline politely while walking past.

The meal-time photographers I find intrusive and unnecessary.  I take my own photos while on board, and typically if I wanted a photo of Alex and I together most waiters or bar staff would be happy to oblige when asked.

That said, if it didn't make them money they wouldn't do it.  If other people enjoy having their photo taken and paying top dollar for each addition to their album I'm more than happy for them to subsidise my cruise :)

I'm devastated with a Silversea cruise on the horizon.

God forbid, I'll have to learn to do 'selfies'. 

DavidH and Rikki like this

It's a funny old world.

Forums can and do discuss this subject till the cows come home but pop into the on board photo gallery a couple of mornings and see the passengers spending the money.

Guilty m'lud.

12519334823_08ef5dc5b7_z.jpg

They used to be half the size on P & O and were around £6. That was a lot better, the others are too big. I know that the photographers have to make a living but how many photos of oneself does a person need. When I was in the Caribbean the photographers started to take photos on location as opposed to port and that was better because at least it got you within the scenery of the country as opposed to a crummy dockside with the ship behind you. Lets face it that ship could be parked anywhere.

:wacko:  :)

Journeyman, when you said you 'like shooting in the raw' I had to do a double take before I got what you were on about… lol… :huh:

Raw shooting is when you shoot a picture or frame, what ever, it is basically like a negative and with the correct software you reall can create stunning effects. Trouble is im still learning my camera, love to experiment. So if you happen to see someone on a cruise taking pictures with no clothes on that could be deemed in the raw, but one thing for sure "It wont be me" :D

Rikki and The Pesky Pirate like this

Raw shooting is when you shoot a picture or frame, what ever, it is basically like a negative and with the correct software you reall can create stunning effects. Trouble is im still learning my camera, love to experiment. So if you happen to see someone on a cruise taking pictures with no clothes on that could be deemed in the raw, but one thing for sure "It wont be me" :D

Loved it Journeyman. I too take 'raw' pictures: my Nikon allows them side by side with jpg.

Like you also I am still learning but I believe their is so much better quality 'in the raw'.

The shortcoming is that they take up so much storage space. I eventually jumped from an 8GB card to a 32 GB one.  

sheilaandmike likes this

I for one would buy them if they weren't so expensive.    I've got a couple around the place - special birthdays or anniversary etc but would be happy to buy a few each cruise  if they weren't nearly £12 each.  Especially ones with new friends - I'd make a little album of each cruise with photo's + cruise log + cruise card (saddo that I am, happy that P&O have let you keep the card again).

Like others we bought quite a few on our first cruises. Now we don't bother. We did have some taken on the World cruise as we weren't sure we would be doing another. I'm happy like PollyBrolly that we can keep the cruise card, I just wish they'd allowed it last year so I could have kept the World cruise card as a memento. 

just been on Balmoral and like everyone else dont really buy them now but we did buy one of the 3 of us as was only £6.50 which i thought quite reasonable

I think the days of the ships photographers have gone, years ago, before all the fantastic technology which we now have at our fingertips, the ships photo's stood out for size and a quality that you just couldn't get yourself, so I always bought them but these days its far cheaper to do it yourself,  I find the prices on board way too high. But rooseyroo the cost of the photos you bought on the balmoral is really good and for that price I would possibly consider buying if the photo was good enough ie hairbrushed etc.

I only ever purchased my very first one on my first cruise with P&O. I think i would have purchased another on my second cruise if they werent as pricey. I dont mind being approached for photos because its just a simple "no thank you". However, when you are first checking in and the photographers are there, i find it annoying. After a 9 hour flight over to the ship, my face definatley wasnt photo ready :unsure:

I don't particularly like the photographer thing. We have never bought one  as we prefer to take our own. I don't believe in ignoring people as that is just rude so I politely decline.

If pushed, I politely decline again but with a slightly firmer tone.

Loved it Journeyman. I too take 'raw' pictures: my Nikon allows them side by side with jpg.

Like you also I am still learning but I believe their is so much better quality 'in the raw'.

The shortcoming is that they take up so much storage space. I eventually jumped from an 8GB card to a 32 GB one.  

What nikon do you have my friend. Sorry for long delay in replying, been having Router problems, all sorted now, thumped it with a hammer and brought a new one. :P

Rikki likes this

What nikon do you have my friend. Sorry for long delay in replying, been having Router problems, all sorted now, thumped it with a hammer and brought a new one. :P

A Nikon D5100.