Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oldworldtraveller

Azamara Memories Of World War 2

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone else on this cruise?

To the few who are still alive this cruise will bring back a mix of memories that will have stayed with them for 70 years. The ‘D’ Day Landings in June 1944 represented a turning point in the war allowing us to remain the free people we are today.  Many died to give us that freedom and this will be an opportunity to bow my head and say 'Thank You'.

DavidH, kerry304 and RiverSong like this

This will be a very poignant cruise OWT . My uncle was one of the young soldiers rescued from the beaches , sadly he is no longer with us but he never forgot his ordeal or his rescuers.

Have a memorable voyage on board Azamara .

Hi Northern Star,

I also had an uncle in a similar position. After being rescued from the beaches at Dunkirk as part of Operation Dynamo he then went back in 1944 as part of the D-Day landings. It is also my 70th birthday just before so it will be memorable for many reasons.

OWT

Was not aware of this cruise. Pity. Think it will be quite poignant.

Hope it is a memorable trip for you OWT and that you enjoy your birthday celebrations.

My husband and I are going to the Royal Albert Hall for the D Day commemorative concert though. Not as good as a cruise but memorable, all the same.

Hi  I suspect it will be quite an emotional experience, even when I visit the war graves in Northern Europe I can't help feeling tearful.  The ages of the average soliders buried there were so young.  On a more positive note I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise and the ship.

I feel it is more important than ever to maintain the history of this moment, so that the future generations can realise the sacrifices that had been made for them.

Furby likes this