Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomYoungs

Favourite tribute acts?

35 posts in this topic

Who's your favourite? One of our best evenings on board was with lots of rum cocktails under a starry caribbean sky listening to "Mick Hucknall"!!  You have to be of a certain age ...

Firefly likes this

I have never seen a "Tribute Act" on board a ship :o  but thinking about it I would love to see how some of todays artists would go down like, Lady GaGa or could you imagin a Miley Cyrus tribute.  Secound thoughts think they best stick with the oldies x

Annie Lennox is another one that was terrible, it made me laugh though that she was cher one night and then annie lennox the next, surely you'd pick one and focus on being good at that rather than being bad at two :( 

Harvey likes this

on the NCL Epic we saw a Tina Turner tribute who performs in Vegas with the Legends she was absolutely amazing, my friend actually thought she was the real thing!

I saw the same "tina turner" and wouldn't say she was amazing, in fact I thought she was pretty poor

I agree with you re:  Freddie Mercury we have seen him twice now on Azura and although his act didn't change he is brilliant and also a nice guy, we bumped into him in one of the restaurants one night and he stopped to have a chat with us - very pleasant.  We also saw Tom Jones tribute act who apparently was on The Voice this year and he was also excellent.

Without any doubt there are 2 tribute acts that stand out in my mind as a cut above the rest. The first is Peter White who tributes to Kenny Rodgers. He looks like him, sounds like him and could pass for him any day. The second is Jonathan Kane who again looks and sounds like Elton and has his mannerisms off to perfection and is also endorsed by Elton John. The test of a good tribute act in my humble opinion is to close your eyes and listen to the voice to see how near it is to the original.

Oops hated Freddie Mercury we are big Queen fans and he just couldn't hit the notes. Walked out of Elton John, gave Annie Lennox a miss - I guess i just think the originals are better.

Oops hated Freddie Mercury we are big Queen fans and he just couldn't hit the notes. Walked out of Elton John, gave Annie Lennox a miss - I guess i just think the originals are better.

Obviously the originals are always going to be better and think you are unfair to Steve Larkin (Freddie Mercury) by saying that he couldnt hit the notes. Think if you go in with the right attitude and not too expect them to be as good as the original then a good night will be had. By the way they have tribute acts because if they could cruise lines couldnt afford the originals if it was possible and with the price of concert tickets think tribute acts are on the whole very good value. The only one we saw and didnt enjoy was "Shirley Bassey" but only went to see her because she was on with a George Michael tribute act who was very good and by the way if I saw the real Shirley Bassey I wouldnt think she was very good. Think it helps if you like/admire the music of the star the tribute act are portraying.

There was a chap on our last cruise (Shelton I think his name was) who was without doubt the worst tribute act I have ever seen. He was meant to be Stevie Wonder but might has well have been Stevie Nicks out of Fleetwood Mac

He was booed off and then the cheesy Ents Director (Nigel) announced at Breakfast that he was being substituted and huge cheer went up!

I agree with you re:  Freddie Mercury we have seen him twice now on Azura and although his act didn't change he is brilliant and also a nice guy, we bumped into him in one of the restaurants one night and he stopped to have a chat with us - very pleasant.  We also saw Tom Jones tribute act who apparently was on The Voice this year and he was also excellent.

I too thought the Freddie Mercury Tribute on Azura was outstanding.

It was Steve Larkins as Mercury Rising.

He is a New Zealander and did two shows to a packed theatre when we were on Azura last year. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PYCA3jFyt-4

https://www.facebook.com/stevelarkins

HI  As with all tribute acts, if you don't like the original artist you are unlikely to enjoy their show.  I have seen a few and most were good (Beatles QM2), (Queen, Arcadia) and Elton John (Serenity) were all enjoyable.