Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jerry

Venice Water Taxi

9 posts in this topic

Going on Ventura shortly, just wondered how much is the water taxi from Ventura to the main tourist area and do you have to queue for ages ? I know we Brits love to queue :0

i paid £15pp and can go in and out as many times as you like during that day it takes you straight to st marks square and only a small queue it wasnt bad, or the monorail is about 1.30 euro each :)

ron and Jerry like this

i have never been to Venice but will be going on Ventura in June & calling there.

As I only have a day can anyone recommend the best way to see a little taste of Venice

i've heard I should get a particular water taxi that cruises the Grand Canal

Depends on whether you're looking for a private water taxi or the Vaporetto service that operates up and down the grand canal almost like a Venetian bus service.  Private water taxis, much like gondolas are a lovely experience but can be really pricey.  We met an American couple on Holland America a few years ago that had paid just over the equivalent of $150 for a water taxi from the airport to the port so make sure you agree price first.  

The Vaporetto service is great though, really easy to use and never have to wait long.

Going on Ventura shortly, just wondered how much is the water taxi from Ventura to the main tourist area and do you have to queue for ages ? I know we Brits love to queue :0

You never know, we may see you there, my wife and I are also on Ventura soon.

We walked from the ship into Venice. It takes about 10-15 minutes to arrive at the station which is at the 'tourist' end of the Grand Canal. From here it is easy to walk through the backstreets towards the main sights.

The Vaporettos are great but have dramatically increased in price in recent years. The cost of a single journey is now 7 euros. So, the cunning plan is to walk pretty much as far as you can towards the Lido and then take No1 service all the way back up the Grand Canal. Only some stops sell tickets but often newspaper stands sell them and they must be validated in the machines at the stops.

The monorail is cheap but to be honest it is a bit of a gimmick as the journey time is about 2mins

We walked from the ship into Venice. It takes about 10-15 minutes to arrive at the station which is at the 'tourist' end of the Grand Canal. From here it is easy to walk through the backstreets towards the main sights.

The Vaporettos are great but have dramatically increased in price in recent years. The cost of a single journey is now 7 euros. So, the cunning plan is to walk pretty much as far as you can towards the Lido and then take No1 service all the way back up the Grand Canal. Only some stops sell tickets but often newspaper stands sell them and they must be validated in the machines at the stops.

The monorail is cheap but to be honest it is a bit of a gimmick as the journey time is about 2mins

The picture of the Vaporetto ticket office above was taken near the railway station you mentioned...

13924819311_79acd2ce13_z.jpg

That is  the Santa Lucia Railway Station,  to the left of this photograph...

13924830616_f614f6e952_z.jpg

...taken from the Scalzi Bridge.