Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

The First Record You Bought

23 posts in this topic

Hi  Which was the first record you bought with own money, presents don't count but can be mentioned?   I'll show my age - I bought a 7inch single (younger members ask your parents) of Telstar by the Tornados and was certainly the first synthesized music I had ever heard.   The first album I purchased was a record of a top twenty covers (on the Music for Pleasure label) mainly for the song Are You Going to San Francisco originally recorded by Scott Mckenzie.

The single was Golden Brown by the stanglers, again on 7in vinyl

Not sure on the Album, it was Shakin Stevens "this ole house" or Showaddywaddy I think

Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight, back in 1982 I was only 6 & saved my pocket money to buy it from Woolworths think it was about 50p.  I thought it was fab :wub:   

Hello,when I was young we could not afford records let alone anything to play them on.

Rodger.

Hi  Your response reminds of a Monty Python sketch -  Can anybody claim to be even poorer!

Land Ahoy likes this

This topic also made me think of memorable songs from sailaways on the various cruise lines or ships that I had been on, of which there are plenty to choose as each company & sometimes ships captain seem to have their own favourites

We must be a similar age Land Ahoy as I bought The Tornado's 2nd release 'Globetrotter' when I was 10 years old.

Hi  I was eight in 1962, techincally Gobetotter was their third single the first release (Love and Fury) didn't make the charts 

Ooh ! Now I feel really old !

First single was Elvis' 'The Girl of My Best Friend ' in 1960 bought with pocket money.

First album was ' Please Please Me ' by The Beatles & still have it in my loft !

Happy Days !

I think it was 'memories are made of this' by Dave King in about 1956. I certainly remember buying 'Diana' by Paul Anka in 1957. What a talent and a credit to Canada. A lot of people don't realise that he wrote songs for many of the early pop stars. 'it doesn't matter any more' for Buddy Holly, composed Tom Jones hit 'she's a lady' and wrote the English lyrics for Frank Sinatra's 'my way'. Still performing in Canada and the USA I would love to have the money to attend one of concerts. How many of today's recording artists will still be around in 57 years time???

DavidH likes this

Like Rodger we couldn't afford a modern record player, so the first record that I bought was from a slightly later period than when I first discovered music. It was Race with the Devil by The Gun, even then it was bought cheaply from a market stall in the old Market Hall in Eccles. We didn't even have a record player to play it on, but my cousin did.

The mention of Dave King reminded me that in the fifties there were a lot of covers by British singers of American songs released before the American original. Sometimes there might be five or so versions of the same song in the charts, I could never work this out as a child. In the fifties I was into Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard, how times change.

My dad had a lot of 78s by the likes of Slim Whitman and Guy Mitchell, but I never realised their value until they were gone.

It's nice to reminisce.

RayO

Hi  Which was the first record you bought with own money, presents don't count but can be mentioned?   I'll show my age - I bought a 7inch single (younger members ask your parents) of Telstar by the Tornados and was certainly the first synthesized music I had ever heard.   The first album I purchased was a record of a top twenty covers (on the Music for Pleasure label) mainly for the song Are You Going to San Francisco originally recorded by Scott Mckenzie.

If your showing your age Land Ahoy, I'll show mine even though I'm not keen on off cruising topics.

It was Del Shannon's 'Runaway' and I played it on my little Alba driving my poor mother bonkers because it was the only one I had till the following week when I received the next weeks Paper round wages.

Remember the year?

I joined the Royal navy the following year.

Mine was 'Rock Around The Clock' by Bill Haley & His Comets. Rita's was 'Love Me Tender' by Elvis. Both were 45s.

Hi,

Sugar Sugar by the Archie's (and I still like that song!).

The album or should I say LP was by The Partridge Family with the devine David Cassidy!