Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cruiselady

Norway And Arctic Circle

25 posts in this topic

On cruise to  Norway and Arctic Circle at end of this week and hoping someone can give me and idea of the weather I have already  read that it is like our spring but any further info would be much appreciated. Also have booked excursions to glaciers can anyone advise if best to take walking boots  or will  good walking shoes be enough? 

Hi both.

We've only been as far North as Norway at this time of year (similar temp as here - sunny with some rain) so I'm not much use to you, sorry.

However, would be very interested in how you get on if you get a chance to post on your return,

Have a great cruise.

Hello cruiselady

Have done Norway & Arctic Circle cruise a few times now so hope I can be of help.

The weather can vary from a spring or summer's day and be prepared for some showers or drizzle ,especially at the glacier.

We took layers of clothing , a lightweight fleece & waterproof for visiting the glacier.

We also took our walking shoes ,proper walking shoes with non slip soles as the rocks and scree underfoot around the area can get quite slippy ,especially if it rains or drizzles as it did when we were there.

You do not state which glacier you are visiting but I guess it will probably be the Briksdal Glacier from Olden.

Just to give you an idea of the temperatures that day ..in Olden when we left the ship it was a very sunny springlike day ,really quite warm but as we got near the glacier it became overcast and started to rain & was much cooler.

The further North you travel obviously it gets cooler and When you reach North Cape the temperatures can be quite chilly & breezy so a fleece is nice to wear especially if you are on deck to watch the Midnight Sun.

So my advice is to take layers of clothing with you which you can add as required.

I am sure you will have an amazing cruise to one of my favourite cruise destinations.

The scenery is stunning ! Hope you manage to see the midnight sun as it's an amazing experience .ENJOY!

We had fantastic weather on our holiday in May 2012, only getting colder from Tromso onwards, but it is what to expect that far North. This is a perfect time to go to the fjords as the waterfalls are in full flow. In the middle of summer the majority of waterfalls have dried up. You will have a fantastic time!

freonwarrior likes this

A great piece of advice someone gave me for the artic circle was to take a pair of glove liners, there is nothing worse than the rest of you being warm but not being ble to take photos because of cold hands, they just take the chill off but still allow you to take the photos you want

freonwarrior likes this

Having been numerous times to Norway and Arctic Circle/North Cape never felt it to be that cold to wear glove liners as well as gloves in the summer.

freonwarrior likes this

OWT, I remember that very well Kirkenes was trully a cold place, with the ship breaking the ice into the harbour, I was advised when I was there that the temperatures we both have experienced are about the norm, but 2 weeks prior to my voyage it dropped to -53 (just pleased I wasnt there at that time)

Still stunning scenery though even when it is snowing!!

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I did the same cruise  on Oriana  last July, the weather was wonderful except for the Lofoten Islands which were drizzle,  I do hope you enjoy it as much as we did  it was a wonderful cruise. and wonderful scenery .

I did a review  entitled     

"); Wonderful Wonderful Oriana And Our Cruise To The Arctic Circle..

It may be of some help to you,CG

We were in Arctic cruise from the http://poseidonexpeditions.com/arctic/ and using boots was a great idea. Even when it's dry and no wind, when it's 10-20 degrees below zero it's cold and lay in the bed with temperature is not very good i think. You should consult with your tour operator, they have a lot of experience and they will recommend you to take boots :) 

Your right OWT, this is a very informative review & with the ddition of the picture wall gives a good feel of the ship & surroundings, Travelling on this voyage certainly gives you the feel for Norway and all the smaller ports visit plus also Hammerfest which although large in size doesnt seem to be visited by the mainstream cruise operators

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Here is a review I have found covering Norway and the Arctic with Hurtigruten.

http://www.yourholidaytv.com/norway/4588193584

The review you found looks great, I have Not travelled with Hurtigruten, Wonder if the  the cabins are all   similar to The  DFDS and other cruise ferries  or have some  similar to a cruise ship. 

I was lucky to visit the North Cape on QV however we did have to take tours on smaller vessel along some Fjords  Unlike MSC Opera where she was small enough last year prior to rebuild. Obviously not a problem on Hurtigruten.

I have been on one of the Hurtigruten ships pennbank and whilst the cabin I had was basic it was also functional. The shower I remember was excellent, powerful and hot. The public areas were certainly better than the cross channel ferries and the main lounge was quite plush.

I have been on one of the Hurtigruten ships pennbank and whilst the cabin I had was basic it was also functional. The shower I remember was excellent, powerful and hot. The public areas were certainly better than the cross channel ferries and the main lounge was quite plush.

Thank you, Yes I forgot that DFDS now do the Cross Channel , My line of thought was their Old Cruise Ferries. used on Runs to Hamburg and Esjberg, Dana Anglia, ms Hamburg and The Pearl and Crown of Scandinavia on the Olso route. 

Off on side track the DFDS ferry ms Scandinavia which was built for a new venture in the USA which failed eventually became Island Escape for Thompson Cruises which they have now sold I think.

Just seen some fabulous pictures on Facebook for the newly refurbed Kong Harold which does the Classic Round Voyage with Hurtigruten from Bergen, it is a massive difference from how the ship previously looked and all credit to the company far moor appealing to travel on. As a previous traveller on this ship it would certainly encourage me back

The Kong Harold has been done up very nicely. I read that article recently and it does look very nice. It actually looks quite chic which I wouldn't have expected from a Hurtigruten ship. I always expected it to be very dated on board and not at all as inviting as some of the pictures on that blog.