Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Art Auctions At Sea

29 posts in this topic

Hi  Am I alone in thinking that "Art Auctions" on ships are a particular waste of time, I have never had the inclination to attend these events let alone buy anything.  I assume they must generate revenue for the cruise line or they would stop holding them.  Have you ever attended one of these presentations and have you ever purchased anything?

No I am the same as above posts. I expect they are all above board ( no pun intended) but after watching Watchdog last night re Painting Auctions held In top London hotels I don't think I would bother with that sort of auction anywhere . Perhaps I should see what's in the attic!!!!.

I would say unless its a particular artist that you already have work from and you know what the uk prices would be I wouldnt be bothered, Art is very subjective anyway and some of the artwork I have seen recently  is really not my taste

I actually saw something that Alex and I really liked on Eclipse last year.  We were almost ready to buy (despite not being able to compare UK prices) when we spoke to someone else working there who was very pushy and "If I'd know that, I would never have given you that price" etc.  That was without the auction, as conditions were apparently too rough.

On Eclipse this time someone we got chatting to attended the auction and the first lot they started at about $35,000.  Nobody bid.  They subsequently had pieces that were bid up to about $500-$600 when bidding stopped, and the pieces hadn't met the reserve.

I'd be very wary of going near them unless you know what you're talking about and have the money to spend.  As someone else said, if you have the cash and like what you see then go for it, as it all seems genuine.  Just don't go looking for a bargain!

From the looks of some of the pictures I have seen in the art gallery on some ships I wouldn't give them houseroom…  ;)

Agree with you PP .Never seen anything decent !

Evening All

Most of them are prints..some are limited editions..but only because the auction company only had 500 printed.

The main problem is you're paying for the print..not the frame and you either have to carry off with you at end of cruise or have it sent by post.

The auction company charge an absolute fortune for this service.

To be honest the cruise companies must be making a bundle by renting space to these people...a cost that would be passed on to us if they weren't there.

Should be renamed Con at Sea.

We have been to these on P&O over the years and "won" a print from the raffle they do which in my opinion is a big con because you have to pay the extortionate postage and the pictures(prints) in my opinion were very poor so said nothing when my name was called out.

Hi  Probably more like cheap sparkling wine you wouldn't ever considering purchasing!

Ahh is that what they serve, pleased I've never bothered to go  ;)

Hi  Am I alone in thinking that "Art Auctions" on ships are a particular waste of time, I have never had the inclination to attend these events let alone buy anything.  I assume they must generate revenue for the cruise line or they would stop holding them.  Have you ever attended one of these presentations and have you ever purchased anything?

Yes I have attended a few. Never been inclined to purchase anything because nothing has ever really appealed though I'm always open to a bit of enrichment.

What I have enjoyed were the invites to join a presentation/review/gathering  and partaken of a few glasses of champagne while engaging in a dose of social chit-chat.

I think you will find that most on board 'Art Galleries' are leased by the various companies from the cruise line. As such I have no strong views either way about their existence.  

They obviously do make money otherwise they would not be in business - and able to afford to offer me champagne.

Hi  Probably more like cheap sparkling wine you wouldn't ever considering purchasing!

Ahh is that what they serve, pleased I've never bothered to go  ;)

I've always been offered perfectly acceptable champagne.

Beggars can't be choosers.   ;)  ;)

Those on P & O are Whitehall galleries I believe and we have a gallery in my nearest city… the prices are comparable with those on the ship but the items are just as bad… You don't see many people in there.

They are not of any interest to me, but I heard a number of people saying 'Must go and get the free champagne' so that is why a lot of people go to them I have never met anyone who has bought anything at one.

Those on P & O are Whitehall galleries I believe and we have a gallery in my nearest city… the prices are comparable with those on the ship but the items are just as bad… You don't see many people in there.

I passed through the gallery on my recent cruise on Ventura...

14148885020_0893c172f8_z.jpg

The space they occupied was amazing.

Someone must be doing the bizz.

They are not of any interest to me, but I heard a number of people saying 'Must go and get the free champagne' so that is why a lot of people go to them I have never met anyone who has bought anything at one.

As i said earlier, I have often been invited for the Champagne receptions. 

I enjoy them because I find it yet anther 'social' event.

I have also met passengers who have bought from the galleries. So it does happen.

We avoid the art auctions and the 'champagne' viewings. But we do like to walk around the galleries and look at the artwork when there is no-one around.