Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AFC04/03

Are Carnival Good For Brits?

9 posts in this topic

The ships look great for families and you can combine them with Florida vacations but I don't know anyone who has sailed on them. Can anyone offer any advice?

Because Brits, much like other groups of clones with identical personalities (such as Women and The Gays) all like the same thing...   :P

I haven't sailed with Carnival, but I'm never keen on such a broad question.  If you want to sail on a line with British food, in GBP, and with predominantly British passengers, then no - you probably won't like Carnival!

I believe they operate a 'fun ship' concept.  They're popular with a younger American demographic and are often seen are ships with a great party atmosphere (I don't know if that's true though, as I've never sailed).  I don't think it's the sort of line where dressing up is seen as important, and reports of people in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR are not uncommon.

I'd certainly give them a shot, but I'll try almost anything once!

smtcan likes this

From experience of being moored near Carnival ships and from what I have read, they do have a party atmosphere on their ships and so of course can be noisy at times.

I guess it depends on your idea of partying and what is an acceptable noise level.

Haha, you might be right there Dst, slightly too broad!! We are a youngish (possibly more at heart) family of four. I have sailed P&O and that is our benchmark really, however friends of ours really love RCI and NCL but budget wise if we where to do disney next year we need to be looking at carnival, Msc etc. so really I am looking to hear more from people that have cruised Carnival. we enjoy fun and games but also like to have some family and 'couple' time without throngs of people constantly around us.

We're getting ready for our 8th cruise on Carnival. They are not our first choice however we've never had a bad cruise with them. We only cruise with them when schools are in session to avoid an overload of kids. In our opinion their food and service are the same or better than RCI.

A few years back now, I sailed on a couple of Carnival ships. The first ship was a tub but the second (Carnival Pride) was new.  Even the Americans on our transfer bus gasped at their first sight of her.  'Wouldya take a look at that!'  The decor could be described as glitzy, but the atrium (as big as any I've seen) was amazing with glass lifts, plenty of seating, we could see upwards at all the decks.  The food was excellent and the shows very good.  The restaurant was very well appointed.  A young man from an American family on one occasion played a piano which was situated in the dining room.  Some Americans can be loud and extremely confident but not offensive in any way.  We did feel rather alien though on 4 July when they played their national anthem and everyone stood with hand on heart.  The waiters danced round the dining room on occasions but it was all good fun.  There was karaoke if you wanted it (we didn't).  The public announcements were a little over the top but I expect that has a lot to do with whoever the Cruise Director is.  'Welcome to Belize City, Belize!'  'So if you wanna go ashore to Belize City, Belize, make your way to the tender.' I suppose some people might find Carnival a little over the top, but overall we enjoyed it.  The downside was the awful queuing up and presenting of ourselves before American immigration who boarded the ship.  Not impressed with that.

We are sailing on the Carnival Miracle in June of this year, with our very good friends, two american couples, who we met on the Royal Clipper a few years ago and have sailed with them ever since (mainly on the Windstar).  They are great fun to be with and very entertaining.  We are usually the only Brits on board but never feel left out or marginalised in any way.  

Will let you know about Carnival when we get back! 

We've met a few Brits on our Carnival cruises. They all seemed to enjoy Carnival as they did not complain about anything to us.

We've done several Carnival cruises and are very happy with them. Just avoid the weekend trips to the Bahamas from Florida. They are the noisy party trips. We've sailed with several other cruise lines as well so we have plenty to compare them with.