Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kellyohara

Formal Nights

60 posts in this topic

I love getting dressed up, & you don’t get enough opportunities to do it anymore. It is so sweet to see all the children in their Sunday best & the men looking dapper in suites or if us ladies are lucky kilts. :rolleyes: 

cabin boy and kerry304 like this

Forum nights can be fun, but it's interesting that the majority (maybe all) of the luxury lines stick to a country-club casual dress code!

For me I just wish people would stick to whatever dress code is in place.  There's nothing worse than people ruining an ambiance with their jeans and t-shirt when 95% of the ship is dressed to impress!

Hello,it is possibly my favourite time of a cruise.I love getting my dicko bow on.

Some time ago I read a very comical reveiw of a cruise and the writer refered to Scotsman as jocks in Frocks.This was quite obviously meant to be taken as humour.Alas by some it was not.

I am not a Scotsman but I think they look brilliant,even with my legs if I was Scottish I would wear one lots.

Rodger.

dst87 and cabin boy like this

Hello,it is possibly my favourite time of a cruise.I love getting my dicko bow on.

Some time ago I read a very comical reveiw of a cruise and the writer refered to Scotsman as jocks in Frocks.This was quite obviously meant to be taken as humour.Alas by some it was not.

I am not a Scotsman but I think they look brilliant,even with my legs if I was Scottish I would wear one lots.

Rodger.

I hired a kilt for my first cruise on Queen Mary 2 - it went down well with my fellow passengers!

Anne10aber and RiverSong like this

Forum nights can be fun, but it's interesting that the majority (maybe all) of the luxury lines stick to a country-club casual dress code!

For me I just wish people would stick to whatever dress code is in place.  There's nothing worse than people ruining an ambiance with their jeans and t-shirt when 95% of the ship is dressed to impress!

Hi  Just to let you know Silversea are still very formal (twice a week) while Crystal have at least one formal evening per week more while sailing in Europe.,

dst87 likes this

Hi  Just to let you know Silversea are still very formal (twice a week) while Crystal have at least one formal evening per week more while sailing in Europe.,

Thanks for the clarification, Land Ahoy.

I still enjoy dressing up for dinner on a cruise, so I'm happy with a handful of formal nights.  I do need to get a casual jacket that can increase the formality of a casual look, but haven't required that on Celebrity.  I may need to for Royal Caribbean who, surprisingly, are more formal than Celebrity!

cabin boy likes this

I love the formal nights. Standing around the atrium and seeing everyone in their finery.  Its as though you are making an entrance when you walk down the stairs.  Where else do you have a chance to dress like that any longer.

cabin boy likes this

Forum nights Duncan..? You might be starting something new there lol ;)

Forum nights Duncan..? You might be starting something new there lol ;)

Well spotted!  I didn't even notice that, but I'll leave it un-edited for posterity.

Great idea though - who's hosting the first forum night? ;)

Thanks for the clarification, Land Ahoy.

I still enjoy dressing up for dinner on a cruise, so I'm happy with a handful of formal nights.  I do need to get a casual jacket that can increase the formality of a casual look, but haven't required that on Celebrity.  I may need to for Royal Caribbean who, surprisingly, are more formal than Celebrity!

On very limited experience of one RCI cruise there were very few jackets on informal night - a shame in my opinion. Others will have more extensive experience.

On very limited experience of one RCI cruise there were very few jackets on informal night - a shame in my opinion. Others will have more extensive experience.

Funnily enough I've been popping into the Royal Caribbean forum on Cruise Critic and I was rather shocked and surprised at the number of threads where people ask about dress code, only to be told by some very frequent cruisers "It's not enforced, so wear what you want!"  It wasn't everyone, and certainly caused a lot of debate, but it seems the average Royal Caribbean cruiser might not follow the rules to the letter.

I won't be one of them.

cabin boy likes this

I bet the kilt went down well dst87 :)

It certainly did, though dressing for dinner was a significantly more time consuming job than when donning a tuxedo!

on our first cruise my husband wasnt looking forward to wearing a dinner suit, after now having done a few cruises it's part of his holiday, secretly loves it

Funnily enough I've been popping into the Royal Caribbean forum on Cruise Critic and I was rather shocked and surprised at the number of threads where people ask about dress code, only to be told by some very frequent cruisers "It's not enforced, so wear what you want!"  It wasn't everyone, and certainly caused a lot of debate, but it seems the average Royal Caribbean cruiser might not follow the rules to the letter.

I won't be one of them.

On our cruise I would say that formal night was reasonably well respected - a mixture of black tie and suits. The informal nights just seemed to be largely ignored.

Hi  I think formal nights add a special night time ambience on cruise ships but unless everybody adheres to the dress code the atomsphere is lost.  It's upto the cruise lines to either enforce the dress code or go the way of many cruise lines and opt for country casual.  It works well on the Seabourn and Azamara, you don't see anybody in shorts or baseball caps in the evenings,  Furthermore,, everybody remains in this style of dress and they don't go back to the cabin after dinner to change back into jeans and T-shirts.

cabin boy likes this

I am not a fan of formal nights although we do respect the dress code.  Husband looks great in a DJ, but carrying carrying it on a plane or on the land component of our trips is a nuisance.  I would prefer smart casual if everyone followed it.  I don't want to sit down for dinner with people in tank tops and shorts,  

Formal nights can be fun, but it's interesting that the majority (maybe all) of the luxury lines stick to a country-club casual dress code!

Fully agree Duncan.

Indeed, it often beggars belief that some cruise on the more 'formal' lines than reject that ethos when it comes to the event.

I can't wait for my first formal night onboard!! can't wait to see everyone dressed up in their best!!

There is nothing to beat it Rita, as long as you are comfortable in the setting of formal nights...

12519334873_6e3b9dc0bd_z.jpg

12519729334_864e16a9e5_z.jpg

12519334823_08ef5dc5b7_z.jpg

Go for it.

RiverSong and DGH like this

I hired a kilt for my first cruise on Queen Mary 2 - it went down well with my fellow passengers!

Are you sure you meant that Duncan?  ;)  ;)

I'd guess the only time your'e going to see my legs would be on a very un-formal occasion...

8432318100_2973a5ab0e_z.jpg 

RiverSong likes this