Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahoy

Mini Cruises - What Are Your Thoughts?

43 posts in this topic

Im thinking of doing a mini cruise next year, what are your thoughts on them? are they good to try new ships? when is the best time to go the get the best weather?

Hi  I have only done two mini-cruises and I didn't think of them as  cruises, more a short break, since time is limited you tend to spend less time relaxing.  As for the weather it's an unanswerable question, I assume you wish to undertake a short cruise from the UK and as such you are confined to Northern Europe and so you can't predict the conditions you are going to get.  Are they good to try new ships, I prefer to try different cruise lines the similarities between ships in the same fleet are not as great as those between different cruise lines.

I like the mini cruises but i don't think it gives a true indication of cruising. They tend to attract a lot of hen/stag doos. On the ones I've been on the service at the bars and restaurants hasn't been as high as on longer cruises but as long as you expect this before you go they are a good little break.

Furby likes this

I gave never taken a mini-cruise but I would imagine it would be a different experience than a longer cruise, just as a weekend break is different from a month's holiday. That does not mean that it can't be enjoyable and that you can't find out information about a new ship or line.

i think they are a great way of trying different ships and having nice mini breaks, i have done the oceana for 2 nights to bruge and the queen victoria also for two nights and really enjoyed both of them - i went on the oceana in september and queen vic in december which was great as it was the xmas markets. Also because we live about 4 hours away from Southampton we always book an overnight hotel the night before so it feels like more of a longer break.

I have been of a few mini cruises and I see them more as a short getaway rather than a cruise. Living fairly near Southampton for me they are worthwhile and I have done 2, 3 and 5 day cruises. The weekend ones do attract Stag/Hen parties but the ones I have seen were not rowdy just a party atmosphere. The five day cruise was lovely and seemed like a week and it is also nice to try different ships.

I have been of a few mini cruises and I see them more as a short getaway rather than a cruise. Living fairly near Southampton for me they are worthwhile and I have done 2, 3 and 5 day cruises. The weekend ones do attract Stag/Hen parties but the ones I have seen were not rowdy just a party atmosphere. The five day cruise was lovely and seemed like a week and it is also nice to try different ships.

I agree.  The short cruises feel different to a longer cruise but we have thoroughly enjoyed them nevertheless.  

We have tried 2, 3 and a 4 night mini cruise.  The latter was more relaxed and we felt like we'd been away for a while, which was in sharp contrast to the 2 nighter which disappeared in the blink of an eye. :blink:   lol

We live quite a long way from S'ton, so taking mini cruises can be quite a trek for us but if the right deal came along, (and especially if it was on a new, for us, ship)... well.... we'd definitely consider throwing the bags in the back of the car and making the journey.  :D
Jaczs likes this

I have been on several 'mini-cruises' and agree that they fall short of a proper cruise experience. One I did was full of stag and hen parties. However who can blame them as it is a good way to celebrate without having to fly to a destination first with all that hanging around airports. My other dislike about a mini cruise is that as soon as you have unpacked you seem to packing again to go home.

Mini cruises are vary 'intensive'. Everyone wants to experience everything on-board in the short time available.

One week cruises are more relaxed but can still be intensive.

Two week cruises are much more relaxed and three week cruises (my maximum experience) are extremely relaxed as there is plenty of time to do whatever you want.

cheers

Harvey

I have done a couple of mini cruises and I don't think that you get a real feel for the ship as everything is so rushed. If you just want to escape for a couple of days they are ok though. I suppose it depends on where you are travelling from, if you are some distance from the port I would say that to make it worthwhile you need at least the 7 night ones. Just my opinion. 

I have just returned from a 3 night cruise on the Arcadia, the weather was fab! i think they are a great idea, as you get to try out different cruise ships/lines

I have never done a real mini cruise because we have to fly to cruise and it is not worth the air fare for such a short time.  Earlier this year we did two five day cruises back to back on Princess and found the atmosphere was quite different from any other cruise we have been on.  The mornings were really quiet, even around the pool, then people began to emerge around noon.  We ate dinner early (7 pm) and never had to wait.  When anytime dining was about to finish the queue was enormous.  We heard that the bars were buzzing until the early hours.  We had a pleasant time, but I don't think it would give a first time Princess cruiser a true picture of the average cruise.  If it had been our first cruise, I doubt if we would try another.

Sheila

Hello,we have never indulged in a mini cruise.

Because we live in Lincoln a two night would certainly be practical.

However we would like to try Queen Mary 2 and are watching the prices for four nights 4 September.Alas they are going up not down,oh well.

Rodger

We have done a few short breaks but not 2 night ones due to our location,cannot wait for Liverpool to get a proper cruise terminal operating ;)

We enjoy the mini-cruises. The stag and hen parties have never been a problem to us, in fact they provide a nice party atmosphere. As well as trying different cruise lines, it is also a chance to try out higher cabin grades that we wouldn't book on a longer cruise. We are not privileged enough to afford suites on all of our holidays, but we do treat ourselves to these on mini cruises.

For what it's worth my opinion is that Mini-Cruises should be just that: a mini cruise to be enjoyed like all others.

It never ceases to amaze me when I read reviews from folk who have done a mini cruise and had expected the full cruise experience.

Cunard in particular springs to mind. 

We enjoy the mini-cruises. The stag and hen parties have never been a problem to us, in fact they provide a nice party atmosphere. As well as trying different cruise lines, it is also a chance to try out higher cabin grades that we wouldn't book on a longer cruise. We are not privileged enough to afford suites on all of our holidays, but we do treat ourselves to these on mini cruises.

Exactly, as I have just said above.

To be enjoyed.

My personal view is that I don't enjoy mini cruises as they don't give the cruise experience that I enjoy. I have done several, not by choice, and each was marred by stag/hen parties that are not my cup of tea.

My personal view is that I don't enjoy mini cruises as they don't give the cruise experience that I enjoy. I have done several, not by choice, and each was marred by stag/hen parties that are not my cup of tea.

Each to their own OWT.

Me? I prefer to get amongst it...

9004781189_35ab8b67bd_z.jpg

Your'e only young once. ;)  ;)

J-Dog, WAVES and wheels36 like this

What would be the best place to go if I went on a mini-cruise Stag Doo? Or what would be the best cruise line to start looking at…

SR you seem to be the one to answer this? :-)

Always worth trying a mini cruise, just to see if you have sea legs, so many people travel on a ferry and think that they would never be able to sail again from a bad experience, its only when they do a mini cruise they realise its a different world

would love to do a mini cruise on the Anthem of the seas to just have a nosey around the ship! it looks like it's going to be amazing!! will have to wait and see how we feel after our 1st cruise in october!

What would be the best place to go if I went on a mini-cruise Stag Doo? Or what would be the best cruise line to start looking at…

SR you seem to be the one to answer this? :-)

Amsterdam springs to mind J-Dog.

And if you want a cheapo deal with little style then I can recommend Fred Olsen.

My wife and did a last minute one for a laugh a few years back. Our bar bill was larger than the fare. ;)  ;)  

J-Dog likes this