Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kellyohara

Bank Insurance

19 posts in this topic

Many of my friends have insurance through their bank account (phone, holiday and some other perks) and im thinking of doing the same but unsure as to whether it actually covers for cruising? Anyone have insurance through the bank and can advice me?

Thanks x

I have insurance through Nationwide's FlexPlus account which is a very comprehensive policy, though thankfully I've never had to claim.  It is 5* defaqto rated though, and from reading the policy in full, I can't see anything to worry about.

I've also used their breakdown cover which is excellent.  We have our phones insured too under the same plan.  Great service from Nationwide - highly recommended.  You even get 3% in-credit interest!

WAVES likes this

I have insurance with my bank and its more than enough for me!! i think your best of reading the policy before? it might put your head at rest?

We have insurance with our bank too and I rang to find out whether it would cover us for our last cruise and it did. I'm considering using it for our World cruise as it gives excellent cover. I believe we have to pay a certain excess to cover anything over 30 days ( I think). I will be checking with them soon.

Be careful if you have pre-existing conditions as the banks sometimes don't cover them or they will load you an extra premium.

That's true with any insurance, but a very good point.

These days (to avoid claims of mis-selling) banks are very explicit about asking the right questions.  Any medical history should be disclosed.

We have travel insurance through our Bank account Lloyds and it works very well and they are very efficient when making a claim as we did earlier this year when we had to cancel a cruise through a family illness.

But I would agree with earlier posts you must disclose existing medical conditions as we already had. ;)

Many of my friends have insurance through their bank account (phone, holiday and some other perks) and im thinking of doing the same but unsure as to whether it actually covers for cruising? Anyone have insurance through the bank and can advice me?

Thanks x

It's fine for basic requirements but once you have a medical problem the surcharges escalate amazingly fast.

As with so many things in life, if it's too good to be true.....

Be careful if you have pre-existing conditions as the banks sometimes don't cover them or they will load you an extra premium.

I echoed your words before I reached your comment.

I seem to recall some time ago a certain forum member on another site boasted of having the perfect 'bank' insurance but she would never put  a name to it.

Scrutiny is everything when so much depends on the protection provided.

Like DST87 we have our travel cover provided by the Nationwide. My husband is over 80 and we both have medical conditions and have had to pay £100 to cover us both for the year with world wide travel. They do cover you for cruises but only up to 31 days but for an additional preium we can extend this. Saga quoted us over £1000!

Irene

dst87 likes this

Like DST87 we have our travel cover provided by the Nationwide. My husband is over 80 and we both have medical conditions and have had to pay £100 to cover us both for the year with world wide travel. They do cover you for cruises but only up to 31 days but for an additional preium we can extend this. Saga quoted us over £1000!

Irene

It's good to know that older customers and those with medical conditions can still be covered by Nationwide at a reasonable cost. I've not had any experience with this first hand so it's good to know!

we are with hsbc. i have called them in the past and we are definately covered for cruises. also declared a few medical issues and we have been covered at no extra cost :)

I have been with HSBC with my current account for years but do not qualify for their Premier Account and even though it doesnt affect me but only covers you with their travel insurance if you are under 70.

Iv always bought my insurance seperatly, is it any cheaper doing it through your bank? i may have to invest

Nationwide FlexPlus costs £10/mo but also provides mobile phone insurance for you and the family (if you have kids), very comprehensive breakdown cover (which I've used, so can attest to), and in-credit interest of 3% on balances of up to £3,000 - better than most savings accounts.  After tax, this means you can ear £5/mo in interest.

The FlexPlus debit card allows perfect fee-free cash withdrawals abroad, and having the account allows you to apply for the Nationwide Select credit card, which offers perfect fee-free rates for purchases worldwide.  It really is a hard-to-bear combination, IMO - and I've done my research!

As well as that, Nationwide are one of the few truly mutual building societies left in the UK and in my experience their customer service is outstanding.

shallwe likes this

Nationwide FlexPlus costs £10/mo but also provides mobile phone insurance for you and the family (if you have kids), very comprehensive breakdown cover (which I've used, so can attest to), and in-credit interest of 3% on balances of up to £3,000 - better than most savings accounts.  After tax, this means you can ear £5/mo in interest.

The FlexPlus debit card allows perfect fee-free cash withdrawals abroad, and having the account allows you to apply for the Nationwide Select credit card, which offers perfect fee-free rates for purchases worldwide.  It really is a hard-to-bear combination, IMO - and I've done my research!

As well as that, Nationwide are one of the few truly mutual building societies left in the UK and in my experience their customer service is outstanding.

By the time I have paid the £10 per month fee and the additional fee for pre-medical conditions for my wife it is above what I pay for my travel insurance so really no great benefit to swapping to Nationwide.

I have banked with Nationwide for over 35 years and have their basic Flexaccount which means I don't have to pay any monthly fee. I take advantage of their included European travel cover and although we declared some pre-existing medical conditions, we weren't charged any excess. I would point out though that none of our pre-existing medical conditions are serious or life threatening, plus we are both in our early/mid 50's which would also help us.

To upgrade the insurance for our Caribbean cruise next year to Worldwide cover will cost me £40 for the both of us. So, £40 for an annual worldwide cover? - brilliant.

I can get the extra benefits for the pay-monthly Flexaccount cheaper elsewhere so that doesn't interest me although they may be very useful for others.