Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

treacle

Gratuities..pre Pay Or Pay On Board ?

24 posts in this topic

I was just checking what other people thought about tips on board companies like celeb and royal caribbean allow you to pre pay them before you go, do you think thats the best way or would you pay on board ?

I'm convinced that the Americans have a lot to answer for on tipping. In the USA it seems that you tip everyone 10-15% irrespective of the service you receive, generally I leave the tips on but find the $11.50 tips excessive though many Americans tip that then tip extra, something I won't do unless I receive exceptional service. Tipping should be just that an extra amount for exceptional service not an expectation.

We enjoy Princess and have cruised six times with them but really dislike their tipping policy. We always stop it and for this reason;

my understanding from the small print is that your built in gratuity on a Princess ship is  used by Princess to spread across the entire fleet. This is not the case with P& O who state that ALL tips are used to reward the staff and crew on the ship you are sailing on which is why we do not stop the fixed gratuity when sailing with them.

I would rather pay the proper price for a cruise and then tip accordingly after that on the basis of the quality of service etc. we should only be concerned with our own particular cruise and not the entire fleet (at a rate presumably decided by Princess who clearly control who gets rewarded and by what amount, and have also heard it said that they take 15% for admin!)

Spoken to quite a few staff (on Princess ships) and when asked, none of them said they would have to hand any tips in. Because I had stopped our gratuity and they would be aware of this I even offered our cabin stewardess her tips in two envelopes but she declined saying it was not necessary.

Finally, we are all aware of the tipping philosophy in America but I wish as a UK cruiser I could get a cruise for the same price as they seem to be able to. Can't blame the Americans but we pay through the nose compared to them.

i would aways pre pay on american companies as it does work out cheaper and less hassle when you are onbaord knowing everything is  already sorted.

We are traditionalist and miss the good ole days aboard ship when you handed out tips for good service. Now it seems thru auto tipping we are not only tipping for good service but for mediocre service, as well.

Our first cruise in 1997 was on the Carnival Sensation and they had tip envelopes and recommended amounts for you waiter, assistant, cabin steward and maitre D. Also 15% was added automatically to drinks. The service was very good to outstanding.

Our next cruise was a year later on the Holland America's old Westerdam. This was before Carnival bought them out. The cruise brochure claimed no tipping necessary. Our stateroom had no tip envelopes and our drinks did not have 15% added. The service was even better than outstanding! We tipped them more than the recommended amounts for Carnival and we also tipped the bartenders and servers who treated us like royalty.

Bottom line for us, the service has slipped since auto tipping became the norm!

Unfortunately most of the staff rely on the tips .

P & O's rate is £3.95 per person per day which covers your cabin steward and the waiters at the table.

If decent service you can, as we normally do, add something extra by a little handshake and a passover at the end of the cruise.Or use the old envelope procedure.

How this will work with 'Freedom Dining' I do not know

David

seahorse likes this

I would like the cruise lines to pay all the staff who do not have regular contact with passengers, a salary appropriate to there job and sufficient for their needs. All those staff with whom the passengers have contact, could be paid a lesser amount because if they provide a good service people like me will tip them well. Hope that makes sense. Is this reasonable or am I missing something?

yes at least if you pre pay your bill is less at the end - did i miss the last discussion?

Yes you did as LandAhoy has said this topic has been murdered to death and caused numerous arguments.wink.png

The service i have had on cruises has varied between good, excellent and outstanding.  I do not believe in tipping extra up front as some people do, that feels like a bribe, but either leave the auto tips in place on my account, or prepay, according to how much on board credit I will have.  If i ever had poor service I would discuss it with the appropriate supervisor and try to resolve the issue while on board.