Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Safe Ports Of Call Or Exotic Desinations

15 posts in this topic

Hi  With some of the world in conflict and cruise lines cancelling many ports of call in more "rarely" visited areas such as the Ukraine and Israel has it influenced your choice of itineraries before selecting a cruise or do you see it as an opportunity to book a cruise at a bargain price with a modified itinerary.  I have seen some Black Sea cruises advertised at very low prices but in truth the only reason I would wish to travel to this region would be to visit areas which are no longer included.  What's your views?

Hi  With some of the world in conflict and cruise lines cancelling many ports of call in more "rarely" visited areas such as the Ukraine and Israel has it influenced your choice of itineraries before selecting a cruise or do you see it as an opportunity to book a cruise at a bargain price with a modified itinerary.  I have seen some Black Sea cruises advertised at very low prices but in truth the only reason I would wish to travel to this region would be to visit areas which are no longer included.  What's your views?

it depends i would think on the individual and if price drives thier choices or destinations. me personally having visited many med ports its now down to price

There are lots of ports in the Black Sea which are not in conflict. Could this be a chance for the cruise lines to start visiting other ports in Georgia, Turkey, Bulgaria and Romania which have history and beauty. Just a thought.

Good thoughts OWT, with many passengers out there crying out for different itineraries maybe this is the golden opportunity for cruise lines to bite the bullet(so to speak) and try new countries that I'M sure would welcome the tourism industry to their doors.

It only needs for one port to be cancelled and then we get bombarded with "...that port was the only reason I booked the cruise".

How many times have you heard that?

Furby likes this

And in answer to my last I have missed a total of 5 ports of call in just 4 of my 44 cruises.

St Helena on QE2 when it was definitely too rough to tender.

Dubai on Aurora's World cruise during the Second Gulf War.

Ashdod and Haifa on Oceania's Nautica  during the last Palestinian flare up.

Did I make a fuss?      No way José.   That's cruising.

words of one syllable No, I have been on land based holidays in the past where there had recently  been troubles or problems and found that as long as we took normal precautions no problem, having said that I did live and work in Bosnia for 12 months in the late 90's where the odd hand grenade was thrown and the odd gun fired, oh and a bit more on occasion 

It only needs for one port to be cancelled and then we get bombarded with "...that port was the only reason I booked the cruise".

How many times have you heard that?

Hi SR,

First time for everything,I guess and this is the first time I've been really disappointed by one of your posts. Maybe you have enough years and money left in you to be that philosophical. Unfortunately, I do not - on either count. Hence my recent posts re the Aurora cruise in October.

David I didn't say anything when you posted regarding your disappointment, because it seemed like rubbing salt into the wound. We were very lucky to have done these excursions on the 2013 World cruise. I remarked to my husband only the other day how lucky we were to have done them then. I'm so very sorry for you. I can understand how bitterly disappointed you may be feeling. It's not quite the same as missing the odd Caribbean or Mediterranean Port is it. 

DavidH likes this