Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAVES

Vigo

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have seen Vigo on a lot of itineraries just wondering if any body has been? got any tips? is it worth getting of the ship?

Thanks in advance

Hi  This port has been discussed a few times on this forum and the general consensus is that it isn’t a great place to visit; a few however, thought it was Ok I am with the former.  It probably is worth getting off it has a few good cafes but it has too little attractions to fill the day.

Hi  This port has been discussed a few times on this forum and the general consensus is that it isn’t a great place to visit; a few however, thought it was Ok I am with the former.  It probably is worth getting off it has a few good cafes but it has too little attractions to fill the day.

Sorry didnt see this as a topic

i went a few years ago on a P&O cruise and although it didnt blow me away i thought it was ok, it had a little shopping centre and it is a little hilly but to be honest thats as much as i saw when i went :)

Its OK if you like C&A and shoe shops and a very nice El Corte Ingles if you can manage the walk up the main street and the slight incline when you turn right at the top. A lot crave about the fish restaurants and say its the place to go for lunch but never really appealed to me.

It's an OK place, but nothing overly stunning.

Quite a few good restaurants to choose from for lunch. A bit of money has been spent on the new shopping centre just outside the port.

OK for cheapish fake leather goods, if that floats your boat, says my wife.

RayO

We quite liked Vigo and it does depend what you want out of the port. So,

The ship will berth right in the town a short walk away from an excellent shopping centre, so no need for a shuttle. If you are visiting Vigo for a short while, then don’t waste your time hanging around the port, all the best places are in town.

It’s best to get a map or at least a plan of the central part of Vigo before you go anywhere. There is a tourist information kiosk as you come off the ship, by the large head and shoulders statue. This is also where the tourist bus goes from. The bus gives a two hour tour of Vigo and the surrounding area. It’s good value at just €7.50 and leaves from outside tourist information at 10am. 12noon, 4.30pm and 6.30pm. Although it is hop on, hop off you need to be aware that there is just one bus – so it’ll be 2 – 4 and half hours before you can hop back on!

The Old Town has elegant fountains, monuments. You can climb up La Guia Hill for the fabulous views of the city and the Rande Straits.

There are plenty of shopping opportunities in Vigo, as it has an abundance of pretty little shops, as well as large shopping centres. Wander up to El Corte Ingles then stroll back through the town and down to the harbour front which is a nice little walk.

If you would like to go to the beach in Vigo, you would have to take a regular bus (number 10 from the street across the pier) or a taxi that would cost you about 10-15 Euros to the nearest beach, Samil or La Fuente. There are boats and catamarans to Cangas, just across the bay, that run every half an hour from 7 am till 10 pm. It costs about 3 Euros per way, you can buy the tickets right at the pier where your cruise arrives. The boat ride is just 15 minutes and you can get a great overview of the harbour from it. Sometimes, there are even dolphins swimming along the way. Once you get to Cangas, there is a nice big beach to the right of the pier called "Rodeira" it can get a bit crowded during the months of July and August but it is still a nice place to lay in the sun.

There are also some boats going to Cies Islands, however check you have enough time if you are just stopping over from a cruise but it is a very beautiful place to visit, the main beach at Cies Islands has been named the "most beautiful beach in the world" by the newspaper The Guardian.

Further Afield:

About 60 miles outside Vigo is the world-famous shrine of Santiago de Compostela. This shrine is one of the important places of pilgrimage.

Oldworldtraveller and DavidH like this

I personally like Vigo and despite what some say there is a lot to see. Have a look at this link. http://www.whatsinport.com/Vigo.htm

Hello,

I have seen Vigo on a lot of itineraries just wondering if any body has been? got any tips? is it worth getting of the ship?

Thanks in advance

Vigo always appeals to me. 

It gives reasonable access to Santiago de Compostela for a start.

And for those who appreciate excellent seafood it is a Mecca, especially for oysters.

Indeed, the cuisine of the surrounding Galician coastline is  based on fish and seafood.

Madness to miss it. 

We quite liked Vigo and it does depend what you want out of the port. So,

The ship will berth right in the town a short walk away from an excellent shopping centre, so no need for a shuttle. If you are visiting Vigo for a short while, then don’t waste your time hanging around the port, all the best places are in town.

It’s best to get a map or at least a plan of the central part of Vigo before you go anywhere. There is a tourist information kiosk as you come off the ship, by the large head and shoulders statue. This is also where the tourist bus goes from. The bus gives a two hour tour of Vigo and the surrounding area. It’s good value at just €7.50 and leaves from outside tourist information at 10am. 12noon, 4.30pm and 6.30pm. Although it is hop on, hop off you need to be aware that there is just one bus – so it’ll be 2 – 4 and half hours before you can hop back on!

The Old Town has elegant fountains, monuments. You can climb up La Guia Hill for the fabulous views of the city and the Rande Straits.

There are plenty of shopping opportunities in Vigo, as it has an abundance of pretty little shops, as well as large shopping centres. Wander up to El Corte Ingles then stroll back through the town and down to the harbour front which is a nice little walk.

If you would like to go to the beach in Vigo, you would have to take a regular bus (number 10 from the street across the pier) or a taxi that would cost you about 10-15 Euros to the nearest beach, Samil or La Fuente. There are boats and catamarans to Cangas, just across the bay, that run every half an hour from 7 am till 10 pm. It costs about 3 Euros per way, you can buy the tickets right at the pier where your cruise arrives. The boat ride is just 15 minutes and you can get a great overview of the harbour from it. Sometimes, there are even dolphins swimming along the way. Once you get to Cangas, there is a nice big beach to the right of the pier called "Rodeira" it can get a bit crowded during the months of July and August but it is still a nice place to lay in the sun.

There are also some boats going to Cies Islands, however check you have enough time if you are just stopping over from a cruise but it is a very beautiful place to visit, the main beach at Cies Islands has been named the "most beautiful beach in the world" by the newspaper The Guardian.

Further Afield:

About 60 miles outside Vigo is the world-famous shrine of Santiago de Compostela. This shrine is one of the important places of pilgrimage.

What an excellent comment Peter.

Hello,I am sorry if this sounds negative.

We have just read the thread and neither my wife nor could bring Vigo to mind.

I checked on the papers in our cruise drawer and we visited on Azura 20th September 2011.We still cannot bring anything to mind,so i guess that says it all for us.Sorry Vigo people.

Rodger.