Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rita123

Barcelona

26 posts in this topic

Out of all the ports we're visiting on our first cruise in October, I think i'm looking forward to Barcelona the most!! Has anyone been? What did you think?

A very nice city, easy to get around take a walk up Las Rambla which is not to far from where the ships berth, it is amazing what they sell.

Have a nice cruise ;)

Hi Rita

A fantastic city especially if you're a fan of Gaudi..

You can pick up the Ho Ho bus from the bottom of Las Ramblas which is not far from the dock gates

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187497-c173389/Barcelona:Spain:Hop.On.Hop.Off.Sightseeing.Buses.html

But be careful..the pickpockets on Las Ramblas just love tourists from the cruise ships.

harley1 and WAVES like this

We have been to Barcelona a few times and love it! The Hoho buses are great. Defiately get to the Gaudi Park. Las Ramblas are lovely t walk down but like Terminator said be very careful of pickpockets. You've also got the olympic stadium if that' your thing. At Plaza Catalunya there is a large El Corte Ingles which is a fab department store. Just up from the front of there are some lovely tapas restaurants too. Sure you'll love it!

At Plaza Catalunya there is a large El Corte Ingles which is a fab department store. 

Take the lift to the cafe/restaurant at the top of the store. Order the freshly cooked churros (with sugar) and coffee, then sit and enjoy the views over the city. Lovely....

Hello,I totally agree with everthing that has been said.When you enter the Ramblas from the port end there is a kiosk on your right hand side selling cards and the like.This is staffed by quite possibly one of the rudest men I have ever met.

Rodger.

Our ship visited Barcelona about 4 weeks ago and I found that Las Ramblas had changed. Many of the stalls that sold birds etc. have all gone. The street performers were mostly gathered now at the lower end of Las Ramblas and there seemed to be less of them. The whole area appeared less crowded with more police thus giving the renowned pickpockets less opportunity. If like me you are a fan of the Hard Rock Café this is situated at the bottom end of Plaza De Cataluña and does an excellent Pina Colada. Have a great time.

Our ship visited Barcelona about 4 weeks ago and I found that Las Ramblas had changed. Many of the stalls that sold birds etc. have all gone. The street performers were mostly gathered now at the lower end of Las Ramblas and there seemed to be less of them. The whole area appeared less crowded with more police thus giving the renowned pickpockets less opportunity. If like me you are a fan of the Hard Rock Café this is situated at the bottom end of Plaza De Cataluña and does an excellent Pina Colada. Have a great time.

Oldworldtraveller - hard rock cafe an a pina colada! where on the same page. have an amazing time rita

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Hello,I totally agree with everthing that has been said.When you enter the Ramblas from the port end there is a kiosk on your right hand side selling cars and the like.This is staffed by quite possibly one of the rudest men I have ever met.

Rodger.

What! Buy a car from a kiosk! How do you road test it?

Just to be clear the current dock is not near Las Ramblas. It is a shuttle bus or short taxi ride away. The shuttle bus drops you near the old port area and is near Las Ramblas, but still a little walk.

If, in the new dock, you are parked in the furthest berth then it is even a long walk to get out of the dock area. We usually jump in a taxi to wherever we wish to go - our current favourite area is Port Olimpic.

A great city with plenty to do and see.

RayO

Take the lift to the cafe/restaurant at the top of the store. Order the freshly cooked churros (with sugar) and coffee, then sit and enjoy the views over the city. Lovely....

I agre to this sentiment we have always done this and did it a fortnight ago on our Princess cruise and used the port bus for the first time very efficient and cheap. My only change would be a personal one and that is have hot chocolate instead of coffee it is very yummy. The port bus picks up at every terminal at the new docks and drops you off behind the building near to the market by the Christopher Columbus statue and at only 3 euros each return very cheap.

I love Barcelona also, the food market is amazing and a great experience of local life . Also to the right of the Ramblas as you walk up is  the Latin Quarter, this is  worth a visit . lovely squares with little tapas bars - less expensive and crowded  than eating on Ramblas ! My husband also enjoyed an excursion we took to the Nou Camp (football ground !) , actually I quite enjoyed it too if I'm honest !

Ditto the last comment about the market.  Off to the left as you walk up the Ramblas.  You will never so much vibrant colour in one place.  Puts our markets (and supermarkets) to shame.  There are also some stalls selling food to go which is local, cheap and delicious.

Spot on about the market, the most colourful I've ever seen.  The shuttle bus is only a three or four minute run, and the drop-off point is only a couple of hundred yards from the bottom of Ramblas.  Great views of the city from the cafe at the top of El Corte Ingles, and if you decide to do the tour of Barcelona's football stadium it will come as no great surprise to find that the exit is through the club shop!!  Lots to see and do, one of the best calls in the Med.  Enjoy!

Spot on about the market, the most colourful I've ever seen.  The shuttle bus is only a three or four minute run, and the drop-off point is only a couple of hundred yards from the bottom of Ramblas.  Great views of the city from the cafe at the top of El Corte Ingles, and if you decide to do the tour of Barcelona's football stadium it will come as no great surprise to find that the exit is through the club shop!!  Lots to see and do, one of the best calls in the Med.  Enjoy!

If you do decide to do the tour of Camp Nou football ground, do it independently. The shore excursions options for this with most cruise lines are expensive and get you there at a time when the crowds are often beginning to reach their peak. If you do it independently, you can hop in a taxi at the trade centre (the usual drop off point in the city from your ship) then head straight there and beat the queues, plus you'll make a decent saving doing it this way.

We have visited many churches etc on our holidays but Barcelona's Segrada Familia took our breath away. On the outside it is typically Gaudi & looks as though it is melting & the inside is so full of light that it is incredible. We did a tour there with P & O last year & can recommend that you try it as the guides are full of knowledge & you go straight in rather than join the long queues if you go indepentently.

The new mayor of Barcelona Ms Colau, apparently has a controversial plan to limit the number of tourists.

This is probably primarily aimed at the sub-letting of apartments, and the effect of pricing locals out of the property market.

My view is that if they "tackled" the pickpockets issue with sufficient camera surveillance so that you did not have to have your hand continually on your wallet while in the subway, then a substantial number of apartments could well become available as the "thieves" moved on.

We were in Barcelona recently, well March actually on the Britannia Maiden cruise.

I have been there several times and decided to do something a little different.

On foot we set out to see how many of Barcelona's 'landmark buildings' we could capture on camera.

It was good fun and included Casa Batlló,

16335644103_b1d3f5bdd2_z.jpg

...and Sant Pau Recinte Modernista...

...which for some reason this site won't accept the code. Oh well.

Perseverance obviously pays off...

Sant Pau Recinte Modernista..

16768259400_d185566c07_z.jpg

Like so many other cruisers and tourists, I keep a camera handy, never know who you might meet. wink.png wink.png