Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

A Night Out In Istanbul

11 posts in this topic

Not so long ago my wife and I were lucky enough to be on a cruise that over-nighted in Istanbul.

Now this is a vibrant and interesting city at the best of times and there was no way we were going to spend that night on board so, with a little help from the internet, we embarked on an evening out in Istanbul.

Our venue of choice was Sultana's, one of, if not the, top Belly Dancing Restaurants in Istanbul. They certainly boasted the Turkey's best known dancer, Didem...

8390569002_f9a022a55a_z.jpg

and in the flesh...

8390568204_9708162871_z.jpg

We had a Fab evening at a very reasonable price of €55.00 which included a pick and return to the ship, a very good 3 course meal and unlimited alcoholic or soft drinks. Another perk of booking via the internet was the choice from a superior menu and reserved table of choice....

8390567216_2de0ec1da5_z.jpg

I've written a full review of the evening on my blog site with lots more pictures...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/11/one-way-to-do-istanbul-the-nocturnal-edition/

...while for anyone interested in Sultana's can find all the information on their website...

http://www.sultanas-nights.com

DavidH likes this

Very opportune Richard

We had notification this morning that R416 has change it's itinerary and now includes 2 overnights in Istanbul next month

Thanks for the info

David

Thank you for this information. As David has said we will be spending two nights in Istanbul and plan to spend one of those in the city. We have not got our excursion program yet (there have been a few changes to our itinerary) so it could be that P & O will have an evening excursion laid on, if not can you let us know how you got to the restaurant?

Thanks

Irene. 

Thank you for this information. As David has said we will be spending two nights in Istanbul and plan to spend one of those in the city. We have not got our excursion program yet (there have been a few changes to our itinerary) so it could be that P & O will have an evening excursion laid on, if not can you let us know how you got to the restaurant?

Thanks

Irene.

On their website it says that they provide free transport to and from centrally located hotels, and from reading SR's blog it seems that this also applies to cruise ships.

On their website it says that they provide free transport to and from centrally located hotels, and from reading SR's blog it seems that this also applies to cruise ships.

I can confirm this Shetlander. We were picked up and returned to the Azura.

Thanks

Irene. 

I'm sure they will. I seem to recall it was a 'Dinner Cruise' along the Bosphorus.

Istanbul is a fantastic city, there's so much to see and do there, we loved it and I am extremely keen to go back.  We too were fortunate to overnight in port and I've mentioned a place before on this forum.  I had a friend from work who was living over there at the time and recommended the Sunset Grill.  We booked a table and it was amazing.  If you're there for two night Shetlander and fancy eating out one evening then try this place because the food is excellent and the view is one of the best you'll find in the city.

Here's the link to the restaurant - http://www.sunsetgrillbar.com/en

Istanbul is a fantastic city, there's so much to see and do there, we loved it and I am extremely keen to go back.  We too were fortunate to overnight in port and I've mentioned a place before on this forum.  I had a friend from work who was living over there at the time and recommended the Sunset Grill.  We booked a table and it was amazing.  If you're there for two night Shetlander and fancy eating out one evening then try this place because the food is excellent and the view is one of the best you'll find in the city.

Here's the link to the restaurant - http://www.sunsetgrillbar.com/en

Thanks for that link Sammy Sun.

We are back in Istanbul in the not too distant future and had planned a seafood dinner under the Galata Bridge.

Food for thought now, I shall consult Solent Barbara.

Thanks again.

sammy sun likes this

Definitely worth a visit Richard but a point to consider; I notice in another post on Istanbul today you mentioned arranging a private transfer from the airport prior to departure.  If you decide to book this restaurant, I would recommend doing the same.  Although the restaurant itself is actually not too far in distance away from the port, the evening traffic in Istanbul was unbelievable and therefore, like yourself, we were very thankful that we'd arranged a car beforehand rather than relying on quayside taxi services as the fare would have been astronomically I can imagine.  

Definitely worth a visit Richard but a point to consider; I notice in another post on Istanbul today you mentioned arranging a private transfer from the airport prior to departure.  If you decide to book this restaurant, I would recommend doing the same.  Although the restaurant itself is actually not too far in distance away from the port, the evening traffic in Istanbul was unbelievable and therefore, like yourself, we were very thankful that we'd arranged a car beforehand rather than relying on quayside taxi services as the fare would have been astronomically I can imagine.  

Game on. Solent Barbara approves and I'm now onto the logistics.