Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyes12

Msc

9 posts in this topic

Some one I work with has been on them & really enjoyed it booked again for next year.  I was unsure but they are doing a 2 night cruise from Southampton on the Opera about the 25 May next year.  I am thinking about going on this to try them.  :)

Beautiful, and extremely clean and well-maintained ships. MSC seem to generate a more vibrant atmosphere than P&O, though the food may not be quite as acceptable to the British palate. Very much cruising with an Italian accent! If you go frequently, their loyalty scheme is miles better than that of P&O.

We did a week on the "Lirica" a couple of years ago round the Emirates. Doing it again on the same ship in 2014. As someone said, it is cruising with an Italian slant and everything is announced in about 6 languages. We have got a really good all inclusive drinks and ice cream package which we will certainly get our money's worth from - did the same last time and we were quids in. Ship was OK but we have got an outside cabin this time rather than an inside. MSC have some good deals so it is worth checking them out on a regular basis.

I agree with Alistar,

Beautiful, and extremely clean and well-maintained ships. MSC seem to generate a more vibrant atmosphere than P&O, though the food may not be quite as acceptable to the British palate.  Colour schemes are bold but work.

I went around the Med on MSC Magnifica - loved it.

The Italian things are noticeable - little disorganised at Venice at embarkation, slightly the case at disembarkation - however that Italian we can fix that and we wanna help comes through all the time.

The 4 languages on board didn't spoil anything and the acts were superb.

My only beef is the cost of drinks (8 euros plus for a beer).  - advise get a multi buy beer ticket - order table wine - do not get a wine deal - some people did have an inclusive deal but that wasnt offered by Bolsover.

For dancing much better than P&O with one floor (Tiger Lounge) being available to dancers for long session each night - catering for all tastes and styles of dance.  

Not as cardboard as P&O who I regularly travel with and you will probably enjoy it.

Comfort was a priority - empty top deck pools at night to stop spillage and to improve stability - P&O could learn a few things from MSC and visa versa re organisation.  My wife is a poor sailor and she commented on the improved stability.

At the time P&O didn't offer Istanbul - by the way there guides were absolutely superb.

Drop note back if you need any more.

This is quite surprising really, I've never cruised with MSC before but their ships always look really nice.  I was just always put off by the fact that their Italian orientated and with me being so used to the Britishness of P&O, i thought i might find it too different.  The comments here though seem really positive and they always look really good value for money, might have to give them a closer look next time around.

We have sailed twice so far with MSC and have a third cruise pending. I agree with everything said before, ships are extremely clean and well appointed, entertainment excellent, (we agreed the shows were far better than those we have seen on Princess ships), staterooms were more than adequate and the staff are accommodating. Our only criticism is the evening dining experience, everyone at our table was dismayed at the lack of "refinement" and although the menus and food are fine they could present the meal so much better. On occasions the served each course so quickly and it appeared to make absolutely no difference which particular course you were eating, as soon as your plate was empty it was literally whisked away and another appeared in its place. Evening dinner was "chaotic" at times which spoiled the dining experience for us.

Once you adjust to the Italian way which some may find brusque you should enjoy your voyage! All in all I would still recommend, great value for money.

It's about 3 years since we cruised with MSC. It was a beautiful ship and the entertainment the best I've seen. But, the service was poor with people on our table never being served at the same time. 

Also the staff seemed intent on looking after themselves as first priority. If you were heading towards a waiter with a tray you had better move out of the way as they wouldn't. And, being Italian, you had better sharpen your elbows as they haven't heard of queuing.

A lot of interesting advice on this topic - we've just booked 10 days in August along the Iberian coast and it will be our first time away from P&O. A little surprised that the prices are so much better than P&O at this time of year.