Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Happy Cruiser

Ocean Cruise or River Cruise

14 posts in this topic

I'd really like to explore this part of world and it seems there's plenty of departures to choose from. Has anybody here experienced either a Far East ocean cruise or a Far East river cruise? I want to get the most out of this as I'll only be doing it once.

Thanks

Excellent place to visit. I used to work in Shanghai so got to do a bit of travelling. Not been back in 14 years, I bet it's changed massively.

I would do Ocean cruising as there are so many AMAZING Cities that you can visit.  I've not cruised that are before but I travelled in South East Asia.  Love Hong Kong, its fantastic, make sure you extend your stay if your cruise starts or finishes there. Sooooooo much to see & do.  Totally eat like a local in the little resturants hidden away or on the street markets!!

We took a cruise with Celebrity from Singapore to Vietnam and the Philippines.  We spent four days in Singapore before the cruise.  The whole experience was incredible.  We saw a part of the world that was unlike anything we had seen before.  Our next cruise was from Singapore to Dubai, calling in four ports in India and we have also done a land tour of China.  Next month we are cruising from Vancouver to Tokyo and staying in Japan for two weeks.  There are so many interesting places to see that I think it is essential to extend a cruise with some land travel.

The Mekong Delta river cruise is on our bucket list, maybe in two years for our special anniversary.

Sheila

Yes Happy Cruiser I had the luxury of a round trip from Singapore to Burma & Malaysia, one of the most fun and interesting voyages I have ever done.

Hi  

The pros and cons of taking a river cruise or an ocean cruise is all down to your individual personal preferences.  I haven't sailed around the Indian Ocean so I can't comment on this region.  Last week I was on a river cruise on the River Danube and I can thoroughly recommend this style of holiday but I also enjoy ocean cruising.  The ambience on both are different, ocean cruises tend to have ample evening entertainment, a variety of dining options and bars/lounges but this not the case with river cruising,  Decide whether you like 24/7 activities or a more relaxed atmosphere and the decision which you chose will be obvious.  The main advantage of ocean cruising is the lower prices compared to that charged to board a river craft.  The upside for those who have cruised on quite a few ocean ships is that you may find that river cruising offer "new" ports of call.  Whichever you chose have a great vacation.

Me too Furby. Plus it would be interesting to see what their thoughts on it would be now after choosing but also considering the rapid rise of river cruising between 2013 and now. More brands, ships and itineraries to choose from than ever.

Me too Furby. Plus it would be interesting to see what their thoughts on it would be now after choosing but also considering the rapid rise of river cruising between 2013 and now. More brands, ships and itineraries to choose from than ever.

i know! i cannot believe how many river cruise companies come up when you google it!

I remember just a few years ago that if I had only heard of Viking River Cruises and that was only from conversation with others. Nowadays Viking are everywhere, seemingly with an endless marketing budget. I'm now also aware of an abundance of river cruise companies and the individual benefits each could provide, mostly from the information I've read on this forum, which is one of the things I like about it.

The original question was "Ocean Cruise or River Cruise"

River cruising is the fastest growing part of the travel industry with 24 new river boats launched this year and others in the pipeline for next year. It is a totally different concept to ocean cruising in both standards and amenities. The following are a few of the basic differences.

Ocean cruising offers a range of ships that basically supply the same things albeit to different standards. Visit different countries, sometimes a different one every day, large scale entertainment, lots of passenger activities, spa's, large gym's, usually more than one swimming pool, several speciality restaurants and large buffet, formal nights etc.

River cruising is more sedate and relaxed. Visiting towns within a region that the large ships cannot reach, beautiful scenery when travelling from one port to the next, excursions included in the fare, gratuities often included, excellent food, no formal nights, no photographers.

As can be seen they are totally different products offering different experiences. Which is best, that is for you to decide which you prefer.

sammy sun likes this

Very well said OWT, choosing what it best for someone is all down to personal preference and for them to decide. Some love the idea of a relaxed and sedate cruise experience where they can visit smaller towns that larger cruise ships can't reach, others prefer ocean cruising and the feel of a larger ship where there is generally ample of room on deck and whole lot of entertainment to choose from.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Very well said OWT, choosing what it best for someone is all down to personal preference and for them to decide. Some love the idea of a relaxed and sedate cruise experience where they can visit smaller towns that larger cruise ships can't reach, others prefer ocean cruising and the feel of a larger ship where there is generally ample of room on deck and whole lot of entertainment to choose from.

Hi  Most of the points you state are correct but one is definitely wrong.  River cruise ships have more open deck per passenger than ocean cruise liners.