Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pit crew

First And Second Class

44 posts in this topic

Are passengers on p and o cruise ships separated in any way by the cost of their tickets. If you pay the select price do you get a better dining room or a better table than if you pay the saver price? And do they allocate passengers at dinner according to what they have paid?

I am not aware of such divisions but then I have never asked anyone "what did you pay" so have no way pf knowing what kind of deal the person had.

it certainly is not like Cunard

We prefer second sitting and as first sitting is usually booked up early most of the late savers are allocated second sitting or freedom dining. There does not seen to be any discrimination on seating. We have booked early and sat with people who booked late, and we booked a saver and sat with people who booked early, although price paid has never been discussed. In fact the one time we booked a saver we had a better cabin and table than when we booked on board a year beforehand.

Are passengers on p and o cruise ships separated in any way by the cost of their tickets. If you pay the select price do you get a better dining room or a better table than if you pay the saver price? And do they allocate passengers at dinner according to what they have paid?

I think 'separated' is not the best adjective to use in this question, but not too worry, allow me to elucidate.

As regards passenger 'preferences' in their Dining Room arrangements, then there is a well established system in place.

Those who book early and pay the 'Select' price, quite rightly,  have their 'preferences' given priority. This is for both the choice of 'sitting' and table size. 

Where multiple dining rooms were available then they were generally allocated on a 'cabin/stateroom position.

The Maitre d'/ Restaurant manager has access to a passengers details and next in the equation after table size comes age grouping.

I take the point this is about P&O then allocation of tables by nationalities does not come into the equation.

I think it is pretty obvious that when such large numbers are being catered for it will not always be possible to match individual preferences. 

Therefore, i would add, the current systems are more than equitable and those that have committed either earlier, or paid a higher fare, are rightly rewarded.

I trust that helps.

DavidH likes this

I am not aware of such divisions but then I have never asked anyone "what did you pay" so have no way pf knowing what kind of deal the person had.

it certainly is not like Cunard

Good morning June.

Of course Cunard are now being copied by numerous cruise lines in as much as 'you get what you pay for'.

MSC have their 'Yacht Club' and NCL their 'Haven', all offering a ship within a ship.

Indeed, I was recently reading a kind of blog by a member of this forum from some Costa ship where the writer paid an incredible amount of money to get free use of the spa and a similar dining arrangement to Celebrity's Aqua class...

"These veranda staterooms offer spa elements infused into the stateroom experience and priority seating in the exclusive and chic specialty restaurant, Blu".

I know what I'd prefer.

I would further add of course that even on P&O suite guests have their own breakfast restaurant.

We prefer second sitting and as first sitting is usually booked up early most of the late savers are allocated second sitting or freedom dining. There does not seen to be any discrimination on seating. We have booked early and sat with people who booked late, and we booked a saver and sat with people who booked early, although price paid has never been discussed. In fact the one time we booked a saver we had a better cabin and table than when we booked on board a year beforehand.

You are of course quite right Seawitch.

However, what we never know is what the sum total of passengers priorities was on each occasion.

Often we come out of these situations having received a 'stroke of good fortune'.

Good morning June.

Of course Cunard are now being copied by numerous cruise lines in as much as 'you get what you pay for'.

MSC have their 'Yacht Club' and NCL their 'Haven', all offering a ship within a ship.

Indeed, I was recently reading a kind of blog by a member of this forum from some Costa ship where the writer paid an incredible amount of money to get free use of the spa and a similar dining arrangement to Celebrity's Aqua class...

"These veranda staterooms offer spa elements infused into the stateroom experience and priority seating in the exclusive and chic specialty restaurant, Blu".

I know what I'd prefer.

I would further add of course that even on P&O suite guests have their own breakfast restaurant.

Good Morning Richard,

Could you please clarify your point about suite guests having there own Breakfast Restaurant as having sailed exclusively P&O I have never heard or seen this, maybe I have been missing out ;)

Having always sailed with P&O, apart from paying the higher fare and as already been said this gives you the choice of cabin position and dining preference free shuttle buses and other benefits there is definitely no class distinction. ;)

Good Morning Richard,

Could you please clarify your point about suite guests having there own Breakfast Restaurant as having sailed exclusively P&O I have never heard or seen this, maybe I have been missing out ;)

As far as I know, it only applies on Ventura and Azura where suite passengers can breakfast in the White Room (Ventura) or Seventeen (Azura).

There is no option for other passengers to breakfast in these restaurants even by paying extra.

Brian

Great Answer from Solent Richard, I was lead to beleive that the difference firmly lies in the dining allocated and nothing to do with restaurants etc, if people book on the select fare they have a choice of what time to dine, on an early saver they can request what they want a month before but this isnt guarenteed and the saver you are allocated whatever sittings they have left.  So if you want to dine at a definite time for medical reasons etc then I presume the best thing is the select fare

Good Morning Richard,

As far as I know, it only applies on Ventura and Azura where suite passengers can breakfast in the White Room (Ventura) or Seventeen (Azura).

There is no option for other passengers to breakfast in these restaurants even by paying extra.

Brian

Correct Brianl and exactly the places I alluded to.

10675163053_6f09a1e8a8_z.jpg

10674956164_1d12a56c5d_z.jpg

The opportunity for an 'al fresco' breakfast really appeals.

Great Answer from Solent Richard, I was lead to beleive that the difference firmly lies in the dining allocated and nothing to do with restaurants etc, if people book on the select fare they have a choice of what time to dine, on an early saver they can request what they want a month before but this isnt guarenteed and the saver you are allocated whatever sittings they have left.  So if you want to dine at a definite time for medical reasons etc then I presume the best thing is the select fare

Thank you Cruise Chef.

I went to the trouble of writing all that in the hope that we won't see the toys leaving the pram when 'saver fares' don't get their first choice.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong in grabbing a late saver fare, living proof I'm capable as well...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/09/ventura-a-perfect-fly-cruise-med-break/

Hello,Land  Ahoy is wearing a hard hat for one reason,I think we should all join together with Richard and wear one for another reason :- ie.the amount of people who pay saver price and then raise the roof when they dont get what they want.

When we book saver we accept what we get and think of what we have saved,then we book another cruise.Simples.

Rodger

sammy sun, seawitch, Tally and 1 other like this

The only line who does separate 1st /2nd class passengers is Cunard that is why I won't go on them!

Good afternoon Travellers.

You know I haven't heard that comment for God knows how long.

However, before we start a serious debate how about you telling us which lines you cruise with as an alternative to avoiding Cunard on that basis.

That way I will save both my time and energy in scribing a reply.

Look forward to hearing from you.

11169629784_9e07a13424_z.jpg

Hi  I'm going to wear my tin hat now.,  As  many of you know I believe all the dining  on P&O is very much second class (speciality dining excepted).

Good afternoon again Land Ahoy.

I don't think you will need a tin hat at all.

P&O passengers are generally a very happy bunch and tend to ignore remarks regarding their cruising.

They also have so much more choice than those who sail for a week at a time on smaller more expensive vessels.

Fortunately I like a varied cruising life and cover the whole spectrum.  ;)  ;)

ron, Tally, Falmouthgirl and 1 other like this

Hello,Land  Ahoy is wearing a hard hat for one reason,I think we should all join together with Richard and wear one for another reason :- ie.the amount of people who pay saver price and then raise the roof when they dont get what they want.

When we book saver we accept what we get and think of what we have saved,then we book another cruise.Simples.

Rodger

But it's a fact Rodger. They have no perception of how life on board is run and when they discover they aren't getting as much as their full fare fellow passengers the toys depart the pram.

PopsiB likes this

I think I must lead a sheltered life I have never heard anybody complaining about dining allocations. As for the breakfast for suite staterooms according to P&O they do not have a separate option !! ;)

I think I must lead a sheltered life I have never heard anybody complaining about dining allocations. As for the breakfast for suite staterooms according to P&O they do not have a separate option !! ;)

From P&O website.....

In addition to the main or buffet restaurants, passengers travelling in a suite may also take advantage of having breakfast in the restaurants listed below at no extra charge. This is available on every cruise, regardless of the duration.

Ventura - The White Room

Azura - Seventeen

Adonia - The Ocean Grill

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/WR_breakfast

Brian

ron likes this

From P&O website.....

In addition to the main or buffet restaurants, passengers travelling in a suite may also take advantage of having breakfast in the restaurants listed below at no extra charge. This is available on every cruise, regardless of the duration.

Ventura - The White Room

Azura - Seventeen

Adonia - The Ocean Grill

Brian

I would like to apologise profusely the information I have been given was totally wrong ;)

Having paid P&O saver price for the first time last year, and getting 2nd seating which we have never done before, I actually enjoyed the extra time before dinner that this provided. Booked saver price again on Azura in October and quite happy to get any seating that's offered to us.

Having paid P&O saver price for the first time last year, and getting 2nd seating which we have never done before, I actually enjoyed the extra time before dinner that this provided. Booked saver price again on Azura in October and quite happy to get any seating that's offered to us.

Hi Kite63.

It's usually a safe bet where 2nd sitting is concerned. Two out of two for me and very happy. I just love a sail away and would hate to miss them by having either to be at dinner or getting showered before.

From P&O website.....

Ventura - The White Room

Azura - Seventeen

Adonia - The Ocean Grill

Brian

Nice find Brian. Amazing what a little research will turn up.