Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guest Solent Richard

Cunard Clamp Down

29 posts in this topic

I'm very pleased to announce that i have received a message from another forum member who is on Queen Mary 2 doing a back to back trans Atlantic, they sailed from New York yesterday evening.

He says...." the evenings dress codes on Cunard really being tighten up now ....I've never seen it before were the commodore/chart room staff are now politely reminding any guest (after 6pm ) of the correct dress code. The bar staff are directing the occasional guest to the winter garden where they will be served. Last night immediately after the boat drill a public announcement was made throughout the ship ( including my stateroom) reminding all new guests of the weeks dress codes and a reminder that in all public rooms and Restaurants the dress codes must be adhered too ! ..Thank you Cunard ! That is why we choose to travel with you"

Superb news I say, Well done Cunard for listening to your loyal passengers.

10905620626_4431cc532a_z.jpg

under the bridge likes this

Lets hope they roll it out to P & O as well

It certainly used to apply across the ship, even to the staff and the photographers too.

David

Lets hope they roll it out to P & O as well

It certainly used to apply across the ship, even to the staff and the photographers too.

David

I would certainly agree with that.It is about time P&O got there finger out and enforce the dress code,or why bother telling everybody about it ;)

Paul Inkpen and roverrod like this

Well done Cunard!

I find it interesting how things change in a relatively short period of time.

When we first cruised (with P&O) it was the case that the "recommended" dress code applied throughout the ship and for the whole evening. At that time I don't recall seeing anybody trying to circumvent the dress codes.

In my view once you start allowing exceptions (typically eating in the buffet) then it starts to drift away a bit as you have to allow other exceptions such as walking to the buffet. I've also read on forums where people have said that they change after dinner!

It's also interesting that at that time people realised that "recommended" meant "expected" and those who did not want to comply with established cruise line conventions did not cruise.

PO do do it  , I was in the Crows nest on the Aurora  when along came  a waiter and informed a couple  it was after 6pm these venues now insisted everyone dress  in accordance with the day's dress code, as cruisers  were coming in for cocktails for the early sitting they didn't want to see people   casually dressed in shorts etc in a formal evening.

I would hope they do across the fleet Oriana and Aurora did , well done Cunard. CG

Paul Inkpen likes this

It's an anachronism that's had its day everywhere but Cunard, it seems to me, which is paradoxically all the more reason why it should be enforced.

If people book wanting and expecting formality having had it promised, then it should be delivered. 

It's much less clear cut on other lines, and that's why the line is increasingly blurred.

Just returned from our Oriana cruise. The dress code was enforced in the named locations. We saw people refused service and gently guided to the exit in the Crow's Nest. Dress code generally well adhered to.

Is the dress code shipwide on Cunard or just certain venues?

RayO

It's an anachronism that's had its day everywhere but Cunard, it seems to me, which is paradoxically all the more reason why it should be enforced.

If people book wanting and expecting formality having had it promised, then it should be delivered. 

It's much less clear cut on other lines, and that's why the line is increasingly blurred.

I disagree that it's an anachronism. It seems to me that there are still occasions when formal or indeed informal wear are expected. I think the confusion comes from the fact that most (or maybe all) cruise lines have certain areas that are exempt from the dress code. As I have said on previous occasions life was simpler (not that long ago) when you ate in the MDR or your cabin and the dress code applied in all public areas.

Good afternoon Shipshape.

Lovely to see you on a progressive forum.

I of course would beg to differ - that it's an anachronism.

It is firmly entrenched in the majority of P&O's ships and, to a fair degree, on Fred Olsen.

If it was anything but neither would be attracting the numbers they do.

After all, we are British.

Good afternoon again Shipshape.

I'm pleased to report that this thread is being replicated on another Forum.

Absolutely amazing. Another  Bolsover and SR first.

Of course the joy is that the news I started with actually came from another forum member who is still on Queen Mary 2.

Nothing like first hand information.

Paul Inkpen likes this

I disagree that it's an anachronism. It seems to me that there are still occasions when formal or indeed informal wear are expected. I think the confusion comes from the fact that most (or maybe all) cruise lines have certain areas that are exempt from the dress code. As I have said on previous occasions life was simpler (not that long ago) when you ate in the MDR or your cabin and the dress code applied in all public areas.

Good afternoon Shipshape.

Lovely to see you on a progressive forum.

I of course would beg to differ - that it's an anachronism.

It is firmly entrenched in the majority of P&O's ships and, to a fair degree, on Fred Olsen.

If it was anything but neither would be attracting the numbers they do.

After all, we are British.

Hello Shetlander and Hello Richard

I wasn't necessarily intending to use the word 'anachronism' in a negative or pejorative sense.

There's nothing wrong with formal dress and still many (though undoubtedly fewer) occasions and venues when it's the correct and appropriate thing. I just don't think that any longer includes most holiday ships.

It was appropriate to 'mainstream' cruising when that type of recreation was open to very few people. It's just that things have moved on.

This is really good news . When we were on QE for her world cruise this year the bar staff in Commodore Club and the midships bar were asking the non dressers to leave. There was a member of staff , I think her name is Dani and she was in charge of the bar staff ( she is married to a musician on QM2) she would patrol the bars and and ask the non dresses to leave . On evening we had a guy came to the bar in a T Shirt. The bar pointed out to him his mistake in not dressing up.He was British. He refused to to leave so my husband told him to have respect for the people who had honoured the dress code and when he booked the cruise it was part of the conditions he had signed up to. My husband got a round of applause and the guy shuffled off muttering and walked straight into Dani who almost physically removed him.

I must say I think it is fantastic news and I do hope Cunard get really tough on this as I go all out to dress up and spend a lot of time and

effort and money in doing so as it is what I love to do and the reason we cruise Cunard.

It is not always the men who do not dress correctly either . Many ladies just wear an ordinary day dresses and seem to get away with it. I think

cocktail or long should be the call. I see men in DJ's and ladies in regular day dresses and to me that is not correct dress. It doesn't cost much to buy a nice glitzy outfit if you don't want to spend a lot on the it. There are always cut price sales in the UK and also cheaper shops. No excuse in my opinion not to wear the correct dress code. Carry on Cunard chuck out the non dressy people I say :)

Paul Inkpen likes this

I think you are spot on maggieshoemou we regularly travel with P and O and cannot believe how many women wear maxi dresses and other attire that is probably only fit to travel to the beach in. We are taking our first trip on Queen Vic this new year and are so excited hearing that the dress codes are properly enforced. Can't wait well done Cunard and come on P and O get in line

I have read several of these posts regarding dress code. My wife and I have recently returned from a p and o cruise on Oceana , which was fantastic , and we did follow the dress code because we wanted to , but I had no problem with those who did not follow the dress code. We were on the cruise for us and had better things to do than judge other people , who , like us , like the idea of waking up in a different place each day. This being possible by ship. To the people who say don't cruise if you don't want to dress up , its time you realised that these cruise lines are not yours and the cruise companies see there is a much bigger market out there than the tuxedo and tiara brigade and it is all about mutual respect from both sides. For the cruise companies to survive and thrive they know they need to adapt to peoples wishes FROM ALL SIDES.

I have no problem with a drew code in the main dining room and always follow it.  However there should be alternatives for those who do not want to dress up, and they should not be banned from bars or the theatre as long as they are decently dressed.  I do not include shorts or T shirts in that description!  It isn't reasonable to expect formal dress when serving  yourself at a buffet, and because you choose to eat in the buffet you should not be precluded from buying a drink in a bar.

Cruise lines have to move with the times.  If they do not attract a younger clientele they will go the way of the dodo.  The average age of cruisers on ships with a casual approach is younger than the very formal lines, and many lines are trying to position themselves in the middle, to attract a mix of ages.  This may not please everyone, but will be more likely to ensure the long term viability of the company.

This thread is about Cunard. There are many cruise lines out there where the dress code is more relaxed. If anyone doesn't like to dress for dinner than don't book Cunard. Simple! There are enough loyal Cunarders around to fill their ships and we don't have to dress down to please a few on the cruise who prefer not do so. There are alternative venues on Cunard for those who prefer low key style of dressing and dining. Most people adhere

to the dress code as they love it, long may that be the case.

Hello maggieshoemou,You of course do not need my backing but I give it freely.

On the Queen Elizabeth last year we thought they could have been a little tighter than they were,nothing serious,I am not talking T shirts and short,but they were a lot of Americans on board and we wondered if a slight relaxation had been made towards them.

We are on Queen Elizabeth 17 October and looking at Queen Mary2 late November so hopefully strctness will be the order of the day.

Rodger

It seems that we can never get away from this subject of dress codes  - whether P&O or Cunard!

For what it's worth I like the phrase used by Shetlander that "recommended" meant "expected" as I think that this sums up the views of many seasoned cruisers!

If you have a dress code (whatever it is) then please enforce it - makes life on board so much simpler.

PO do do it  , I was in the Crows nest on the Aurora  when along came  a waiter and informed a couple  it was after 6pm these venues now insisted everyone dress  in accordance with the day's dress code, as cruisers  were coming in for cocktails for the early sitting they didn't want to see people   casually dressed in shorts etc in a formal evening.

I would hope they do across the fleet Oriana and Aurora did , well done Cunard. CG

I agree, we've seen it enforced on the Aurora. I think it seems to be the larger ships which have a problem.

Couldn't agree more,  a couple of years ago our cruise on the Queen Victoria was really spoiled by a group on the next table who would not adhere to any dress code,  despite complaints to the Maitre'D etc nothing could be done (?),  But they must have been good tippers as the waiters and wine waiter were ALWAYS round there table,  even setting it up with their drinks etc Before they arrived.

Lets hope it continues.

Well done Cunard. As Elite members with Princess, I raise this subject every time we cruise with them, but every comment just seems to be ignored. Whether it is casual dress in the restaurants on formal nights, or sloppy dress in the cocktails bars every evening, if there is a standard, then it should be rigorously enforced. Cruise lines would only have to refuse a few people a couple of times before the message gets through!

I have yet to cruise with Cunard, P & O is my line of choice,  and dressing up on formal evenings is one of the attractions. Seeing the ladies and gents in their finery is great and I do not recall having noticed passengers not adhering to the dress code. Is this 'problem' more noticeable at certain times of the season, say school holiday time?