Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seawitch

Ladies Your Help Please

25 posts in this topic

Sorting out my evening dresses for our next cruise I found my favorite damaged beyond repair. My husband being the lovely man he is took me shopping for a new dress. Unfortunately after trying all the major department stores and my usual shops there is not a suitable long evening dress to be found. On asking in Debenhams my usual place I was told I now have to order evening dresses online. I am sure all the ladies understand that I want to try on a dress to see if it suits me before i buy it. Can any of you helpful ladies suggest where I can buy a new dress?

sorry I always order on line and send back if I don't like it on.

I usually have to try on about 10 dresses before I find one that fits right. I didn't think they would be very pleased if I ordered that many and then sent all but one back.

I hate shopping and always buy my evening dresses online - just google "long/maxi dresses" and you will find many to choose from.  Don't be afraid to order several designs, or indeed several sizes of the same one if you want to be sure of fit - the companies are used to this, and I do it all the time.  Remember you only pay one postage charge no matter how many you order, returns are free, and at the moment very few of the companies I use are charging for postage anyway.  For obvious reasons I would prefer not to broadcast where I get mine as I don't want to end up in the same dress as everyone else!! :wacko: The joy of shopping this way  is you can try them on in the comfort and privacy of you own home, with different underwear/shoes/jewellery, then having made your decision you can sleep on it!  Be brave,and good luck. Barbara.

maggieshoemou, seawitch and WAVES like this

I'm not much help either as we do not have any department stores or shopping outlets near to us.  I thought I'd be in the minority of ladies who shop mainly on line but I see others do too. I actually prefer it too as I hate shopping. :)

Whilst I might see what is available in different stores on line, I never shop on line, I like to feel the quality of the fabric and try on before I even entertain buying a dress. The problem is that they all vary in size and lengths between stores and whilst they might hang and look ok on the model on line sometimes you find the quality no better than a piece of rag. 

Just my opinion, and I have to say I hate shopping for clothes…  :wacko: well to be honest I hate shopping anyway.  :)

seawitch likes this

I will visit the  Roman outlets sometimes and have picked up some good bargains in evening dresses.

When we had a Co-op in our town they had a section for evening wear also as someone has suggested Monsoon.

seawitch likes this

Hi seawitch,

You haven't said which area you live in so unless you shop in department stores it's not so easy to help with smaller stores. I found a place near Stamford, Lincolnshire when looking for Granddaughter's Prom dress, they also carry a range of evening wear. I haven't been there as she found a Prom dress local. I can pass the details on if it is a suitable distance from you.

Have you anywhere local that make dresses? That may be an option to consider .

Good Luck.

seawitch likes this

Thank you for all you suggestions I have tried Roman- not one evening dress . we don,t have a Monsoon but we drove to an outlet site that has one but they had no evening dresses. I have looked online but most appear to make them to order and you can't return them unless they are faulty. I have found one at Coast online but they had none for mail order, they have one in stock about 50 miles away so we may try there. PopsiB I would love the details of the store near Stamford it is not near us by our youngest son lives nearby and we could go next time we visit. If anyone could recommend a reliable online store I would be very grateful.

Speaking of evening dresses we have had threads about 'formal nights' and some who feel if a person doesn't dress accordingly it spoils the 'ambiance' of the evening.

The other side of this for me is when I see ladies in what they think is 'passable' for evening wear.

I have seen cheap looking cotton skirts with a totally miss matched T shirt or some other such garment and then of course there is the women who have been a bridesmaid and use the dress - most still look like a bridesmaid.

Sorry if I sound snobbish ( which I'm not ) but I would rather see someone in a smart casual outfit than pretending to be in formal wear.  

I do sometimes wear a trouser suit as that is an acceptable form of dress for evening wear, usually as a back up for when I am in pain. Although I assume that some people would not find it acceptable. I have to admit though that I too have seen some odd looking types of evening wear… 

Looking with my sister earlier this year for an outfit for her daughter's wedding, you could try wedding shops, they may well have embellished gowns for evening.  Better still try googling 'cruisewear', there are companies selling clothing to wear on a cruise.  From a personal point, I have worn black dressy trousers with a sequin top, and a wrap, team with sparkly sandals and you have a perfectly acceptable outfit.  On one cruise I bought an evening bag which was decorated with black and white downy feathers.  Perfect for black and white night.   But please do not use 'Light in the Box' website - I bought some shoes for my niece's wedding, they didn't arrive.  This company is situated in China and although the shoes seemed a real bargain, you have to add on at the end, customs and other duty.  Since the tracking number I was given didn't work, I got a refund from Paypal.  The shoes, although deemed to have been despatched, never arrived.

TKMaxx sometimes have a few lovely ones. Only problem is they often only have 1 of each design so if it's not your size then it's tough luck.

Hello Seawitch you could try googling for names such as Joseph Ribkoff, After Six, Frank Lyman to name a few. These are usually sold in individual shops, and sometimes sold on the cruise ships. You may also fund some other makes. Worth a try.

I too have  black crepe Palazzo trousers that I bought from Roman about 10 years ago.  I have bought different tops over the years, including black and white ones for Black and White Night. The trousers have a small elasticated insert in the waist, so they fit throughout the cruise.

Most evening wear is available in the shops before Christmas, the retailers haven't room to stock it all year round.  Good luck,

Waves49 likes this