Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

i spy with my little eye

Carcinogenic

44 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have been reading the posts now for many months and I can see that a lot of people on here are also on Cruise.co.uk forum and others (you could say I am doing a study).  The first thing I have realised is that not everyone on the forums are genuine. There are people from all walks of life and probably the cruise companies are represented (incognito).  What worries me about the anti smoking brigades' issue is that by cruising they automatically become far, far worse than any smokers anywhere in the world.  We are currently trying to understand exactly what is going on with the cruise lines - banning smoking on balconies and now even E cigarettes because of 'health issues' and in the case of E cigarettes, they 'look like someone is smoking'. 

What I am about to tell you now, you can easily verify and some of you will not like this (some of you may not even cruise again).  Cruise companies have known for years that by burning crude diesel oil (which they do 24/7), your health is at risk, especially if you sit on balconies.  It is now widely accepted that carcinogenic particles are emitted from the funnels in very, very large quantities.  16 cruise ships emit the same amount of pollution in a year as all the cars in the world put together.  In one second, they emit as much pollution into the atmosphere as all the smokers in the world do in one week.  It is becoming apparent that cruise ships are far more dangerous to health than you realise.  They damage the environment, marine life and even the ports that the ships visit are beginning to suffer.  Look at what the ships have done to Venice, the Everglades, the Great Barrier Reef and so on.  Even my local port is now looking into the pollution caused by the cruise ships.  The W.H.O. has now put diesel, especially raw diesel in exactly the same bracket as cigarette smoke (carcinogenic - cancer causing).  Other studies show that the people most at risk are truck drivers, farmers, railway workers and it would seem, most at risk, ship passengers and workers.  The mammoth engines do not stop, even in port they are continually running and polluting the atmosphere.  One cruise line in particular is trying to clean up its act but probably only because of pressure put on them.  In all honesty, cruise ship brochures should carry a warning - Cruising could seriously damage your health.  So next time you worry about a smoker on a balcony, just remember the amount of environmental damage, damage to peoples health (especially around the ports), damage to marine life etc. is being caused for your enjoyment (just like a smoker when he has a cigarette because he enjoys it).  Please now go to Google and search these words - Can cruise ship pollution cause cancer?  Do cruise ships cause environmental damage? Is raw diesel oil carcinogenic? - Please just read what there is to read and then ask yourself this question before you book another cruise - Do ya feel lucky (well, do ya?) - your choice.  If you are concerned about your health, stop worrying about someone having a cigarette on a balcony near you and start worrying about the billions of carcinogenic particles that are falling on you from the ships' funnels.

Summing up, I have cruised many times on many lines but I really don't know if I can support the cruise lines any longer after seeing the pictures on the internet of dolphins and whales washed ashore in pieces after being chopped up by the ships' props.  Birds covered in oil by ship spillages (like the Concordia).  Of course we have to have shipping, cargo ships etc are a necessity, but cruise ships are just there for our pleasure and it would seem most peoples attitude is screw the environmental damage, screw other peoples health but don't smoke near my balcony because I don't like the smell............Have fun cruising and helping to destroy so much    

Are you a smoker by any chance :rolleyes:. Oh please!!! everyday I read the newspapers which tell me one day coffee is bad for me and the next day it prevents me getting skin cancer. Every day in fact I'm told  this is bad for me but yesterday it was good for me.Actually, I don't care the trouble today is everyone is an expert on something and scaremongering seems to be the thing today's experts are most concerned with. I've got other things to worry about. If I want to cruise ,I'll carry on cruising and I'll take my chances. As to your other points you go with your conscience and I'll go with mine.

Furby likes this

let's face it. everything is 'putting you at risk of cancer' these days. You only live once, please don't blow the smoking issue wide open again please guys lol x

I didn't say I thought smoking was good for you but cruising definitely is, so I know which one I'll be taking a risk with. ;)

Pebbles93 likes this

I didn't say I thought smoking was good for you but cruising definitely is, so I know which one I'll be taking a risk with. ;)

With you all the way Tally, smoking and cruising :D

Pebbles93 likes this

With you on this one tally, I love it when the next roll out of what is good/bad for us comes out. Eggs, corned beef, e numbers, wine. bottled water, If the peddlars of this had their way we would eat dust, drink nothing and die of malnutrition and dehydration, come on folks everything is good in moderation. AND WE ALL CAN CHOOSE WHAT WE DO ;)

Next thing will be getting out of bed in a morning will be bad for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ron, Tally and Pebbles93 like this

An interesting topic I-Spy-With-My-Little-Eye.  I think people don't give a damn about global warming, toxic this or raw diesel that.  Folk are just getting on with their lives, driving gas guzzling cars and the rest, and and they really don't care and are not thinking about any future consequences of living their lives, because ultimately these consequences will end up being someone else's problem.  There will be very few people who care about Venice, dismembered dolphins and whales, the Everglades and the Great Barrier Reef and they will continue to cruise without giving these things a second's thought.  As has been mentioned, it is a matter between oneself and one's conscience.

ron likes this

So drinking, smoking, eating red meat, dairy, cruising, cars, planes, trains is going to give me cancer!!! Someone pass me a knife but please insure it is sterile I wouldn't want to die from germs :(

Suetoo likes this

This is all you seem to see on here and other sites -  'I' and 'ME'.  So I will start this off about me - I am not a me, I am a group of people, some are smokers, some are not.  Yes, we cruise - the last cruise was on the NCL Spirit in a Penthouse Suite and just before that the Owners Suite on the NCL Jade.  We wanted to book the Garden Suite but the King & Queen of ******* and their family had booked it (NCL spy that is on this site - you can easily check this now).  We have cruised many times but we also support the group of people who are putting the cruise companies under pressure to clean up their act in more than one way.  Smoking on balconies and E cigarettes is a miniscule problem, the fact that they have banned them is crazy when you look at the bigger picture.  We could not bring ourselves to moan about the smell of smoke from a cigarette from another balcony or that E cigarettes 'look like you are smoking' - it just seems so crazy to condone cruising but moan about these miniscule issues.  Just put perfume on, it will cover up the smell, or would that be too much effort!!!

Just like the anti-smokers achieved their goal. so will we and cruise companies will have to install filters etc to cut down on the emissions. (of course, this will raise the price of cruising, that is if they can afford to install on all ships in the first place). 

This is all you seem to see on here and other sites -  'I' and 'ME'.  So I will start this off about me - I am not a me, I am a group of people, some are smokers, some are not.  Yes, we cruise - the last cruise was on the NCL Spirit in a Penthouse Suite and just before that the Owners Suite on the NCL Jade.  We wanted to book the Garden Suite but the King & Queen of ******* and their family had booked it (NCL spy that is on this site - you can easily check this now).  We have cruised many times but we also support the group of people who are putting the cruise companies under pressure to clean up their act in more than one way.  Smoking on balconies and E cigarettes is a miniscule problem, the fact that they have banned them is crazy when you look at the bigger picture.  We could not bring ourselves to moan about the smell of smoke from a cigarette from another balcony or that E cigarettes 'look like you are smoking' - it just seems so crazy to condone cruising but moan about these miniscule issues.  Just put perfume on, it will cover up the smell, or would that be too much effort!!!

Just like the anti-smokers achieved their goal. so will we and cruise companies will have to install filters etc to cut down on the emissions. (of course, this will raise the price of cruising, that is if they can afford to install on all ships in the first place). 

Well, I'll start off with I. I think if I felt that strongly about emissions etc from cruise ships. I wouldn't cruise.

yes well said tally if someone feels that strongly about there health DONT CRUISE..and if you feel that strongly about the e.cig and balcony ban DONT CRUISE.....but one thing tally it looks like you think we was on there fun or our own enjoyment ?....we was not ..did we enjoy the cruise? yes we did .look at it like this I have a dog I take it for a walk if it poos I bag it up ....I don't leave the mess behind for someone else....[but some people do]...its the same thing as cruising it leaves pollution and allsorts of mess for others ..but by putting the cruise lines under pressure to clean up there ships we will make it much safer for all and less damage to world....all this e.cig and balconies thing its just so crazy ..let them use there e.cigs ..let them smoke on balconies its nothing not even a drip in the ocean or 1 pebble on a beach in comparison to the cruise ships

I Spy, the thing is that everyone knows about the dangers of smoking and passive smoking, and now there are doubts cast on e-cigs but make no mistake, these are important issues to a person, but it will never have occurred to most people the damage to humans, animals and the environment that cruise ships cause.  I would defend your right to post your concerns anywhere and your posts are interesting and without doubt conscience-pricking.  However, I doubt whether anyone has checked out what you say for themselves and will undoubtedly continue to cruise..   

So drinking, smoking, eating red meat, dairy, cruising, cars, planes, trains is going to give me cancer!!! Someone pass me a knife but please insure it is sterile I wouldn't want to die from germs :(

Jaczs that comment has just made my day ! BUT so so true

ron, Jaczs and Pebbles93 like this

Jacs, Get one that has been iradiated just to make sure ;)