Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Music - Guilty Secrets

20 posts in this topic

Hi  Although I am a "Rocker" at heart (Led Zep, the Pistols and Nirvana being among my favourite artists) although I never admitted it at the time I also loved Karen Carpenter's voice but hated most of her songs.  Do you or did you have embarrassing tastes which you were afraid to admit to your peer group?

We have brushed on this before Land Ahoy I have a similar excellent taste in music love my Rock & Indie bands, guilty pleasure would have to be a tong in cheek America band called Steel Panther very un PC but brilliant live.

Also last year went to Rock City in Nottingham to see Chas & Dave we had such a good time, booked it again for this December.

I loved the 80's Rock Music, Def Leppard, Heart, Boston, etc, but would also secretly listen to Celine Dion. Currently loving a band called Volbeat, sound a bit like a cross between Metallica and Nickelback.

I like Nirvana and Metallica but also like Take That and One Direction have some nice songs.  I used to like Emerson Lake and Palmer and Jethro Tull and people used to look at me as if I was odd, well that's if they'd even heard of them !  

Land Ahoy likes this

I like Nirvana and Metallica but also like Take That and One Direction have some nice songs.  I used to like Emerson Lake and Palmer and Jethro Tull and people used to look at me as if I was odd, well that's if they'd even heard of them !  

Hi  I'm off to see Asia next month, Carl Palmer is the drummer, he also played with the first band I ever saw live Atomic Rooster.

Hi  Although I am a "Rocker" at heart (Led Zep, the Pistols and Nirvana being among my favourite artists) although I never admitted it at the time I also loved Karen Carpenter's voice but hated most of her songs.  Do you or did you have embarrassing tastes which you were afraid to admit to your peer group?

Hi LA,

As someone who has been (and still is) prepared to spend over £200 to sit on a stone step to watch opera in Orange (that's the town in France and not the colour I was wearing!!) or Verona, as well as for the best seats at the ROH, Covent Garden when my favourite tenors are in town, I also love the heavier music of ZZ Top (Rough Boy is my favourite track), the more modern blues of Joe Bonamassa (check out his fantastic new album, "Shades of Blue") and taught myself to play guitar by playing along to both Buddy Holly and The Shadows (not to mention studying a Bert Weedon guide).  I was brought up in a household where Gilbert & Sullivan were worshipped and have appeared in most of their operettas at one time or another (Pirates of Penzance and HMS Pinafore are favourites).  What I'm trying to get across is that I have a pretty wide and varied musical taste but that I have never felt any need for embarrassment in the fact that I get huge enjoyment from music.  For those of you who were around at the time, I even played Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale" on the Church Organ as my friends walked down the aisle at their wedding - it was number 1 in the Hit Parade at the time.  Now, if you're referring to embarrassing tastes outside of music......well, that's a whole different ball game!!  wink.png 

Well I love all sorts of music I'm like David I do like Opera (I have my favourites La Boheme being my most favourite) but I am a child of the sixties and like pop music too.  If I'm to confess anything it's that I rather liked Wham and I do very much still like George Michael.

DavidH likes this

Hi Land Ahoy are you referring to Asia from the 80's Voice of America & Heat of the Moment to name a couple of tracks, if so, where are you seeing them??

Hi  By sheer co-incidence I saw the group last night at the Sage in Gateshead.  Yes they are the group you mentioned and did a great set.  All of the original members except Steve Howe (more famously associated with Yes) are present and he is replaced by a young guitarist named Coulson (I think).  Carl Palmer did an excellent drum solo showing off his technical abilities. 

thanks Land Ahoy I will investigate if any local gigs to me and I still have there albums, with the original artwork on them (who wouldnt!!)

& h turtle I thought you would be a big STEPS fan (with all the dance routines)

RiverSong likes this

Hi  They played quite a few tracks from their latest album (Gravitas) and they certainly stood up to their earlier recordings.  I haven't purchased the album but I am dropping hints about what I wish for Christmas!

I like all sorts of music, depends on my mood…. This morning I was doing surveys in a stately home and someone had Classic FM going full belt. I suppose it was apt for the surroundings, but not so good on a Monday morning…. smile.png

For us it's 50s-60s music, country music (all kinds including blue grass) and good ole fox-trot music from Sinatra and others. We also love New Orleans Jazz. We are not much in to the current rock and rap music.