Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

Ryder Cup, Help!

8 posts in this topic

I am a complete novice when it comes to golf, but my other half loves the sport & comes from a large Irish golfing family.  This weekend they will all be glued to the coverage in Gleneagles Scotland for the 40Th Ryder Cup.

The thing is I don’t understand anything about this or why it is such a big sporting event other than its Europe V United States, so any tips would be appreciated.

If you can’t beat them, then join them scenario.

wacko.png 

Hi,

I write this sat watching the Ryder cup with my hubby.

I think it's all about the pressure the players feel because they are not playing for themselves but for their team, which is alien to them. Some come out on fire, sometimes the ones you least expect and big big names come out and play like a numpty!

But it's the drama, the 'it's not over till it's over' . A team could have a massive lead on the final day and you think 'that's it we're done for' but then a monster put goes in, the crowd roar and suddenly things start to turn and the impossible happens!!

It's infectious, watch and enjoy.

GiGi

RiverSong likes this

Everyone to their own but I have had some lovely walks on golf courses(I don't play). There are usually lots of rabbits and birds but we've seen families of stoats prancing across the fairways and we've been chased by baby coots who are convinced we have food for them. While abroad we've encountered lizards and parrots but by far the most bizarre was in Mexico where just in one round there were giant iguanas, capybaras and (and I kid you not) crocodiles in the water hazards! We were assured they kept them well fed. The cutest moment though was one early morning at The Forest of Arden where the course goes through a deer park and while coming up to a green the tiniest little Bambi came out of the trees and just stood looking at us for a good few minutes and then it's mum came and suckled it. There is more to golf than balls!

As for the cup, the boys are doing well but are not out of the woods, Europe was once trailing by the same number as the US going into the last day but came back to win so anything can happen, and most often does.

Regards

GiGi

Hi

So glad you enjoyed the cup, it's always even better when we win!

My two favourite moments were Ian Poulter's chip in on Saturday and Martin Kymers's chip in yesterday. You rarely see Kymer show emotion like like that but you could see how fired up he was and how much it meant. Brilliant tournament, if they could cut back on the speeches and thanking their mothers brothers neighbours cat for making it all possible it would be even better!!

See you again in two years;-)

GiGi

RiverSong likes this