Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GiGi

Freedom Dining

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I realise there has been many topics on tipping but as a first timer I have a question. I can understand that if you go for the set dining where you have the same table you know that your tips will go where they should. However we have gone for freedom dining so would it be fairer to take off the auto tipping and reward the members of staff who deal with us on a day to day basis?

When we booked our cruise the sales lady said she always takes the auto tipping off her account at the start of the voyage but is this looked down on and do you think the staff know and think you are a cheapskate ? We are good tippers for good service but we wouldn't want to p* off our cabin steward before we even set sail!

Thanks

GiGi

Hi  It's much easier to pay by the auto-tipping route, so it make's sense to use this system.   The only reason why somebody wouldn't use this easy system is if they wished to pay less than the recommended rate but many would deny this; citing that they wish to pay individuals who had served them rather than admit to being a tight wad.

sista likes this

Whatever floats your boat.

We are lead to believe that all tips are pooled whether cash or auto, so it shouldn't really matter. We prefer auto-tipping but usually give a little extra, i.e. £10 or £20 per waiter or cabin steward, for good service - we don't know if they're allowed to keep these.

Also, don't forget that the tips don't just go to those that you see or wait on you personally, e.g. we rarely use the cafeteria but some of our tips will go to them. There are lots of support crew behind the scenes who work just as hard as the front men and women.

I'm with Land Ahoy, I'm always a bit suspicious of those who remove auto-tipping especially after being informed that tips are pooled anyway.

RayO

BTW - I believe that there are some cruise lines who insist on auto-tipping for freedom/anytime dining. I may be wrong.

If you're on P&O their recommended tips are much lower than other cruise lines we have sailed with.

RayO

We used to tip more before the auto tipping so nearly always give a bit extra to the cabin steward and our waiters. However not the wine waiter as we understand they get a percentage of the amount spent on drinks. Hope that's true.

Usually the tipping info. onboard tells you that you do not need to tip the drinks waiters. However, if you do they're not going to refuse are they.

RayO

BTW - I believe that there are some cruise lines who insist on auto-tipping for freedom/anytime dining. I may be wrong.

If you're on P&O their recommended tips are much lower than other cruise lines we have sailed with.

RayO

We're booked on Celebrity Millenium from Hong Kong to Singapore next March and can confirm that pre-paid gratuities is required in order to select freedom/anytime dining.

The choice is yours. Not so many years ago 2 envelopes were always left in your cabin for your tips - your choice of what to give for the service received. Many passengers who have cruised for years still carry on with this same tipping method. After all a tip is a gift for the service received - not an automatic right.

We've always left our tips on and then in some cases given a little extra to our own waiter etc. We once bought our waitress, Rose, some perfume and gave her some cash too as well as the automatic tip as she was just brilliant! That was on Brilliance of the Seas.  

I think it's fair to leave the tips on as it's not much money at all when you think it gets split between all the staff (or so we are told). Obviously it's everyone's choice so it's up to you GiGi x

Hi  It's much easier to pay by the auto-tipping route, so it make's sense to use this system.   The only reason why somebody wouldn't use this easy system is if they wished to pay less than the recommended rate but many would deny this; citing that they wish to pay individuals who had served them rather than admit to being a tight wad.

Exactly my view Land Ahoy. The harmony continues.wink.png wink.png

Hi,

I realise there has been many topics on tipping but as a first timer I have a question. I can understand that if you go for the set dining where you have the same table you know that your tips will go where they should. However we have gone for freedom dining so would it be fairer to take off the auto tipping and reward the members of staff who deal with us on a day to day basis?

When we booked our cruise the sales lady said she always takes the auto tipping off her account at the start of the voyage but is this looked down on and do you think the staff know and think you are a cheapskate ? We are good tippers for good service but we wouldn't want to p* off our cabin steward before we even set sail!

Thanks

GiGi

Good afternoon GiGi.

You haven't said which cruise line you are sailing with.

Most cruise lines that offer 'freedom' dining don't offer the option of opting out.

I can certainly confirm that the staff know exactly who has opted out of the auto systems. While on Celebrity Infinity my suite steward was very surprised when on the final evening I gave him an envelope. He didn't expect it and said as much.

Always happy to help.

Hi,

We will be on the Oriana going to Northern Norway.

I think we will keep the tips on our bill and if we find an excellent member of staff we will give them something personally. When I think of what we would tip each day when we stay B&B abroad, the fixed rate for P&O isn't bad at all.

Tipping can be quite an iffy subject. I know someone who proudly states they have never tipped in their life and goes on to say "when someone tips me for doing my job I'll tip them for doing theirs!" Oh well.........

Thanks for your help

GiGi

The only reason why somebody wouldn't use this easy system is if they wished to pay less than the recommended rate but many would deny this; citing that they wish to pay individuals who had served them rather than admit to being a tight wad.

Land ahoy and Solent, I beg to disagree with you about people who remove auto tipping are the ones who actually pay less, two cruises ago we were fortunate to have a suite, I removed auto tipping and tipped my cabin steward butler, both the  waiters and the wine waiter, i actually tipped more than what was recommended, i also tipped more than one of the waiters in the bars.No doubt you will call me a liar but hey I have been accused of much worse over the years

It should be left to individual preference,and what god forbid if you had rubbish service and a useless cabin steward.

I will be leaving auto on next month as i did last cruise and no doubt tip extra if they deserve it.

Surely though it would stop these kind of questions and debate if they paid the crews a decent wage and they did not have to expect to supplement their wages with the tips.

Its the same with restaurants ashore where they have a service charge you get pathetic service and the staff expect a tip as well.

ron, Pebbles93 and Land Ahoy like this

Land ahoy and Solent, I beg to disagree with you about people who remove auto tipping are the ones who actually pay less, two cruises ago we were fortunate to have a suite, I removed auto tipping and tipped my cabin steward butler, both the  waiters and the wine waiter, i actually tipped more than what was recommended, i also tipped more than one of the waiters in the bars.No doubt you will call me a liar but hey I have been accused of much worse over the years

It should be left to individual preference,and what god forbid if you had rubbish service and a useless cabin steward.

I will be leaving auto on next month as i did last cruise and no doubt tip extra if they deserve it.

Surely though it would stop these kind of questions and debate if they paid the crews a decent wage and they did not have to expect to supplement their wages with the tips.

Its the same with restaurants ashore where they have a service charge you get pathetic service and the staff expect a tip as well.

Hi  I totally agree and I usuallly sail on cruise lines which include tips in the boarding fare, unlike some who think the service will decline, the service on these lines is in my experience is usually much  better.   I would still pay my tips via my OBC  on conventional cruise operations but if the service was exceptional (it's never has been in my case, I'm low maintence) I would give extra to the staff member personally..

paul1924 likes this

Hi

I found that leaving on the tips was much easier for me as you receive so much good service that i would end up tipping that many people that i could probably book another holiday!

I agree how you pay your gratuities is a touchy subject. I agree with some views and disagree with others. No one actually knows how much they earn or how the tips are shared out, or whether if you hand over cash personally do they have to pool it. Yes staff should get a decent wage, what is a decent wage at home for these workers, how many hours do they have to work and in what conditions, are they supplied with uniforms, fed, and although it's said they live in cramped conditions below decks, what are the living conditions at home like. Yes they do work hard and always seem very friendly and happy. They all seem to have the latest phones and iPads etc.

ron likes this