Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Pre Or Post Cruise Stays

8 posts in this topic

Hi Occasionally I book a pre cruise stay but I have never had a post cruise stay in a land hotel.  I nearly always have a two or three night land based hotel stay before undertaking a cruise from Florida or the Caribbean.  This is to chill out and relax and recover from jet lag.  Do you prefer a pre or post vacation, or neither?

Hi Occasionally I book a pre cruise stay but I have never had a post cruise stay in a land hotel.  I nearly always have a two or three night land based hotel stay before undertaking a cruise from Florida or the Caribbean.  This is to chill out and relax and recover from jet lag.  Do you prefer a pre or post vacation, or neither?

Hi LA,

For us, it depends entirely on the location of the cruise and how much time we've already spent in a particular area..  Last year, we had a pre cruise stay in Dubai but just a day room in Singapore as we've spent time there before and had an overnight in port onboard Azamara Journey.  In March 2015 we have a pre cruise stay booked in Hong Kong but, again, just a day room in Singapore after disembarking Celebrity Millenium.  In January 2016 we intend to have a week touring California before embarking Aurora in San Francisco and at least a week in North Island, New Zealand when we disembark in Auckland.  The latter is because, although we spent 6 weeks touring New Zealand in 2008, we never got further North than Auckland and want to do that area justice next time around.

Land Ahoy likes this

If we are in an area we haven't visited before we may have both pre and post cruise stays.  When a flight is involved we prefer to make our own arrangements and arrive at least one day before the cruise.  On our next adventure we are spending four days in Singapore pre cruise and two days in Dubai afterwards in addition to the overnight stay on the ship.  When we cruised from Australia to New Zealand we spent a week in the Sydney area before and a week  on the North Island of New Zealand afterwards.  When taking a long and expensive flight we try to maximize the time in the area because we will probably not return there.

DavidH likes this

David H - Interested in your comment about Aurora 2016. We have done 2 previous world sectors with P&O, once letting P&O arrange flights and hotels and once another company we booked with.

We want to do Aurora Singapore to Southampton staying in Singapore for a few days as love Singapore but P&O brochure and online dummy booking doesnt offer hotels this time which is odd. How did you book your option, with P&O of yourself? Dont know how it could work for us as only need one way to Singapore.

To the OP as others have said definately depends where you start and end your trip and times of flights too if known. Would hate to just be taken off ship and straight to airport.

David H - Interested in your comment about Aurora 2016. We have done 2 previous world sectors with P&O, once letting P&O arrange flights and hotels and once another company we booked with.

We want to do Aurora Singapore to Southampton staying in Singapore for a few days as love Singapore but P&O brochure and online dummy booking doesnt offer hotels this time which is odd. How did you book your option, with P&O of yourself? Dont know how it could work for us as only need one way to Singapore.

To the OP as others have said definately depends where you start and end your trip and times of flights too if known. Would hate to just be taken off ship and straight to airport.

Hi harber78,

We've stayed over in Singapore several times.  The first visit was to break up the journey out to our motorhome tour of New Zealand to which I referred in my previous post.  Almost the whole trip (including hotel) was organised through Trailfinders.  We used them again, for flights and pre-cruise stay when booking our Azamara cruise last November, though we stayed in an apartment in Abu Dhabi owned by a family member for the return stopover.  Because we are very comfortable with their service (not to mention the fact that they make no charges for payment by credit card), we have booked all arrangements associated with the Celebrity cruise in March 2015 through them.

In January/February this year we toured Australia with Scenic Tours and they arranged our stopover in Singapore on the way out, our post tour extension in Sydney and Dubai stopover on the way home.  We were very impressed with Scenic.

As for the Aurora trip in January 2016, we will certainly not be using P&O for any of our non-cruise arrangements.  It's early days as yet but we may well use Avios points to get us out to LA or San Diego, then probably arrange car/accommodation via (you guessed it) Trailfinders, together with arrangements for our time in the northern end of North Island, New Zealand and flights/stopover on the way home.  

Hope that helps.

For me, the planning gives me almost as big a kick as the holiday.  That reminds me, I must start planning our annual early summer caravan tour for next year.  Current thinking is France (as always) and the Italian Lakes.