Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trebor49

Norway Fjord Excursions

15 posts in this topic

We are booked on the Arcadia for a two week fjord cruise next July - Is it easy to 'do your own thing' on a Norway fjord cruise or do we go on the organised ship tours? 

We went on our second one week trip to Norway in June. The first time we went on tours but this time we did our own thing. It is easy to get off the ship and just wander in Bergen, Geiranger, Stavenger. We went on the train in Flam which is quite an experience. Don't rely on being able to book that independently as you'll probably not get on. My advice is to do a mixture. Google the different ports to see what they offer. Enjoy your trip. We love it there.

All are easy to do yourself, there are many private tours when you reach port, Tinkerbell is right though about the Flam railway very popular so usually best to book a tour.

I disagree about the Flam railway it's very easy to do on your own. If you check when the cruise ship tours are going and avoid those times you can do it yourself, no problem.

The ship's tours don't usually involve a return trip on the railway - you travel to Myrdal then get on a coach to do a bit more scenery then back to the ship.

If you do it on your own you have to do the roundtrip, cost about £40 p.p.

If you state the ports you are stopping at it may get more specific answers.

RayO

The trip we did on the railway was a return trip. The alternative was to cycle back. Passengers that hadn't booked could only get on the train when it was too late to get back to the ship so most were disappointed however it did cost us £62 each which I thought was overpriced.

We used the red open topped buses in most ports in June , keep your first ticket then get a discount on  all others after,  you can pay by debit or credit card. quite safe , also free Wifi on the buses. But we did the organised trip in the Lofoten islands there wasn't many other options.

Also its nice to see the local  area where you dock . then thats the excuse to go back on another cruise to Norway, always leave something to make you want to do a return visit.

Flam Railway is over rated in my opinion. We did it independently, and were so glad we didn't pay the ship's excursion prices. The journey up was OK but most people were going to sleep on the way back. Sorry, just my opinion.

I have only done a 7 night Fjord cruise and if I went again I would not bother with excursions as very easy to get around .  Bergen and Stavanger is very easy accessible , but if you are going to Flam definately book the railway . It depends on what you want to do as some of the excursions are a bus ride away

We are booked on the Arcadia for a two week fjord cruise next July - Is it easy to 'do your own thing' on a Norway fjord cruise or do we go on the organised ship tours? 

Good morning Trebor.

Just looked at the brochure and see you are visiting a few places I did earlier this year.

Have a look at this review I did. Different ship but the Geiranger and Bergen visits  are applicable...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/07/10/celebrity-infinity-to-iceland-and-the-fiords/

14425426397_e93cb40a12_z.jpg

14609736724_273ee2e237_z.jpg

There is also a full review of Geiranger Fjord at this link...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/07/16/one-way-to-do-geiranger-fjord/

14454561530_5864a44021_z.jpg

14618250006_50191e45d7_z.jpg

Your heading for a great cruise on a nice ship.

blondie likes this

Definitely agree with Boushki. The tour to Briksdal Glacier was amazing. We went in May when the waterfalls were in full flow. If you are able, walk up rather than be driven. Much better for the views on the way.

The railway journey from Flam is worth the trip and you can hike and or cycle back which is a wonderful walk.

I understand if you block book a minimum of tickets you can book the train online from uk.

The Flam railway is easy to do by yourself and has the advantage of a quiet train not full of cruise passengers if you choose a time before or after the excursion goes