Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Should Some Cruise Traditions Be Banned?

52 posts in this topic

Hi  Many cruise lines stick to age old traditions, some of which I think should be consigned to Room 101 or do you like these relics froma bygone era?   Here's a few practices I would ban or in some cases not attend and what would like to see go?

Baked Alaska Night - Completely Naff

Sailaway Parties - I never go out of my way to attend these

Captain's Welcome/Farewell Cocktail Party - I don't wish to stand in line for a photograph, just give me a whisky

Table Sales - Junk

Some people like this but I have never seen the point of the chocolate on your pillow at night, and how many get left or chucked away?

Rita would be very disappointed if they did away with the chocolate on the pillow! 

RobBar likes this

I was on Ventura earlier in the year and have to say I attended one of the best sailaways ever on a ship. Great weather, music, entertainment and great fun!!

It wouldn't be an issue if I didn't attend a Captains cocktail party again or have a baked alaska parade however if people have never cruised before I know first time cruise clients really enjoy these little extra things.

ron and RobBar like this

Hi  Many cruise lines stick to age old traditions, some of which I think should be consigned to Room 101 or do you like these relics froma bygone era?   Here's a few practices I would ban or in some cases not attend and what would like to see go?

Captain's Welcome/Farewell Cocktail Party - I don't wish to stand in line for a photograph, just give me a whisky

Table Sales - Junk

Here you go LA

Feel free to make as much use of it as you like..

http://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/forum/topic/775-room-101/

Land Ahoy likes this

Some people like this but I have never seen the point of the chocolate on your pillow at night, and how many get left or chucked away?

We never eat them. On our last cruise we asked the cabin steward not to bother with them. He still persisted.sad.png We put them all to one side (48 of them). I wonder if they were recycled.ohmy.png

Table Sales - Junk

Hello,and I thought i lived in the grumpy corner.

Rodger

The way to look at this is that to new cruisers these are all new experiences for them and something that makes magical memories like they did the first time for us. I no longer bother to attend the cocktail parties or sailaways and the table sales have never done anything for me but to others they are loved. If you don't like them stay away but they are special to some so leave it for them to enjoy.

RobBar, Furby and Claire55 like this

Each to their own.

We agree that sailaways are not for us but some of the most unlikely people love them - a case in point being some friends of ours who are definitely not party people at home. Some other friends were on a land based holiday in Madeira when Aurora was staging a Sail Away and came home asking if that is what we REALLY enjoy about cruising. 

When did anyone last see a Baked Alaska Parade on P&O? Do other lines do this?

Welcome aboard parties - we can take them or leave them but certainly don't relish standing in a long line to have a picture taken with the captain. We would be most unlikely to buy it anyway and as for the 'free' drink? However we became aware on a recent cruise that some people were eating in the buffet on that night so that they could attend both parties and were boasting about the number of G'NTs they could consume by doing this. 

As for the "boot sales" we feel retail should be confined to within the shop areas and should not encroach on areas which can cause a bottle neck when shows etc. are coming out.

However, as Jaczs says these events can be fresh for new cruisers and, apart from the obstructions caused by sales tables,, can be avoided by those of us who wish to do so.

Jaczs likes this

Cant say I've ever seen a baked alaska parade

The sailways are good for first time cruisers  (my partner) but once youve seen one you seen them all I use this time to do my laundry (sad i know) when on the longer cruises while the mature of the cruisers are busy getting nostalgic .. ha ha

The table sales are just so old hat but again this is tailored for the mature traveller but cant understand why as Ive been on ships with lots of early 20 's 30's 40's people and nothing is ever geared for us

The captains cocktail and welcome on board I do like chance to get as many free drinks (Land Ahoy would appreciate this) as possible and keep a girl out of not dressing in her new dress

I think cruise liners should check their manifest and see what peoople are travelling on their cruises to bring new ideas

RobBar likes this

Referring to the theatre acts as "West End" style production when lets face it they aint, yes they are good and much better than I would be (before anyone says it)

And why "West End" when plenty of other theatres are available, why not say Scunthorpe Palace theatre style production

The reason they are on the ship in the first place is that they aint good enough for the west end

Referring to the theatre acts as "West End" style production when lets face it they aint, yes they are good and much better than I would be (before anyone says it)

And why "West End" when plenty of other theatres are available, why not say Scunthorpe Palace theatre style production

The reason they are on the ship in the first place is that they aint good enough for the west end

You say that HTurtle but on two of my last three cruises ( P&O and Cunard) there was a group of four singers who have played almost every lead role in London's West End.

To date, those stage stars who have performed in the group include Will Barratt (The Phantom of the Opera), Matthew Gent (Sweeney Todd), Owain Williams (Les Miserables), Michael Conway (Jersey Boys), Dominic Ridley (The Sound of Music), Michael Pickering (Jesus Christ Superstar)

14968400560_d21a55f648_z.jpg

They were without doubt one of the best acts I have seen on a cruise and, as I have commented before on here, received a double standing ovation.

dst87, RobBar, Grandpa and 3 others like this

Try the parade of waiters with guests waving table napkins or the CD talk to tell you what great bargains are available in port and special to ships passengers only or the last talk of what to do prior to leaving and the list could go on but for a new cruiser and a lot of repeat cruisers this is fine.

Just take what you enjoy and forget what you do not , you are only one of the 2,000 - 4,500 odd passengers onboard who by the way are allowing this ship to sail with you .

Cheers

I love the sailaway parties especially in the Caribbean and would be disappointed without them.  The chocolates on the pillow are a lovely touch and the Baked Alaska parade is a bit of fun! There are lots of traditions in this world that are being erased and i feel that my cruise would not be the same without them!!

As a rule of thumb I would have to agree with you. There are always exceptions as depicted by Richard but in the main they are not good enough for the West End. If they were they would be there earning top money as opposed to jumping from ship to ship and living out of a suitcase. That is not to say they are not entertaining and of reasonable quality. However when I see names appear that were in their prime 30 - 40 years ago it does make you wonder. This morning I arrived home from a cruise and out of all the acts and shows I saw only the comedian was memorable for the right reason. His name was Micky Zany. Why was he memorable? simply he was funny and made me laugh which most comedians find difficult because their acts are often based on old jokes and the same old patter. Micky was different because his jokes were new, a great impersonator of individuals and accents. He was a breath of fresh air.

wheels36 and hturtle like this

I don't think so hurtle ! That's Certainly not the case on Cunard  QM2.....James Taylor, Sting & IL Divo  just to name a few ..and I'm not talking tribute bands here !  (been there seen em )

I don't think so hurtle ! That's Certainly not the case on Cunard  QM2.....James Taylor, Sting & IL Divo  just to name a few ..and I'm not talking tribute bands here !  (been there seen em )

James Taylor and IL Divo!!!! After my next cruise I'm definitely booking with Cunard. 

Cunardcruiser likes this

If you dint get the chocolate on your pillow, you would all be complaining! Everyone has different taste so just enjoy and dont go to or use something you dont want to. noone cares :)

If you dint get the chocolate on your pillow, you would all be complaining! Everyone has different taste so just enjoy and dont go to or use something you dont want to. noone cares smile.png

Hi  One of the best cruise lines on the seven seas (Crystal) does not put a chocolate on your pillow, and I and others did not complain

James Taylor and IL Divo!!!! After my next cruise I'm definitely booking with Cunard. 

And so you should Tally ..Go on and give QM2 a go !   ( but only a transatlantic for a start !)  it's a magnet for well heeled & well travelled folk ( not to mention  numerous celebrities ) You never know who you're gonna see jogging past you  on the promenade  deck  rolleyes.gif

Tally and RobBar like this

And so you should Tally ..Go on and give QM2 a go !   ( but only a transatlantic for a start !)  it's a magnet for well heeled & well travelled folk ( not to mention  numerous celebrities ) You never know who you're gonna see jogging past you  on the promenade  deck  rolleyes.gif

That's me out of the equation then as I am definitely not 'Well Heeled'.

RobBar likes this