Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

boomboomtime

Christmas Events

23 posts in this topic

Hi All

As Christmas is not too far away i've been thinking about the market events that many towns/cities offer, helping us get well and truly into the spirit of things.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Christmas Markets that they would like to share?

And bah humbug not allowed on this topic  tongue.png

have only done one christmas market in Lincoln, it didnt make me want to do it again, far too many people, couldnt get to any of the stalls, couldnt even see them in some areas, so maybe stay clear of this one if not keen on masses of people

Hi The goods in German Xmas Markets in the UK are vastly overpriced when compared to those charged in Germany (information provided by a German friend).  My advise on Xmas Shopping is that the rich should read and absorb Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol and give generously to those on lesser pay.  I have been on cruise to the Xmas markets on the Baltic coast, unfortunately, most these markets only truly come alight after dark and the ship is usually sailing by then.

its not even Halloween yet (even though its a made up american excuse to beg sweets) or Bonfire night

give it a break on the christmas already please, at least another month or so

Manchester's Christmas market is really good the only downside is the parking unless you park outside of the area and use the tram system, Eccles is a place to park then get a tram into the centre.wink.png

boomboomtime likes this

We have friends in Germany and have been to the Christmas markets in Cologne,Stuttgart, Munich and Ulm over the years. I love the Christmas markets in Germany. We haven't been for a while though as we can no longer fly.

I'm not an expert on Christmas Markets, but if you don't want to leave the UK you could consider Edinburgh.

It's a gorgeous city at any time, but the Christmas stuff there is fun.  Alex and I have an annual night out where we book a nice hotel and enjoy the festivities!

We're thinking of doing the Manchester Christmas Market this year. Ive never been before, but my parents went last year and loved it. Very, Very busy, but loved all the stalls, the food/drink and the atmosphere! :)

boomboomtime likes this

we did the Nottingham xmas market on xmas eve last year my children loved it, very festive, lovely stalls and a huge ice skating rink we will be doing it again im sure

We will spend Christmas Eve with the family and on Christmas night we will be in New Orleans for a couple days before our cruise. It will be interesting to see Bourbon Street lit up for the holidays!

RiverSong, DavidH and JH327 like this

I go into Birmingham Christmas Market most years with my girly friends.  We leave the kids with the hubbys & jump on the train into Birmingham.  After a browse around the stalls, lots of mulled wine & a scrummy dinner we make our way home.  That is totally the start of christmas for me

boomboomtime likes this

Well, Halloween is over and bonfire night is iminent. hturtle,  you will be interested to know  I have almost finished the christmas shopping, fought to be be organised so I can enjoy Nov and Dec taking it easy, Manchester here i come, or maybe Edinburgh, or Birmingham, spoilt for choice now. Thanks everyone biggrin.png

And I did say no bah humbug welcome lol.wink.png

Another vote for Edinburgh, I just love to visit that city. The last time we were there they had a German style market just inside the Princes Street gardens but for me the best part of the trip is going into Jenners store at Christmas, it's a lovely building and they decorate it so well.

GiGi

this has happened at Centre Parcs today, its the official oppening of their Winter Wonderland season, sorry cant post the image for some reason