Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Seanda666

A Double First For Us

11 posts in this topic

We have just returned from a short (3 night) cruise on Queen Victoria to Bruges. Our first short cruise, and our first cruise on a Cunard ship.

I think I can say for all three of us it certainly will not be the last visit to that part of Belgium,or our last cruise with Cunard.

We booked a balcony stateroom on deck 6 for the three of us and I can say we were impressed with the cabin layout, and quality of fittings and furniture. Although only a three night jaunt, our cabin steward was as attentive as any we have had on longer cruises, and greeting us by name on our first meeting with him. The addition of a fridge in the room was a bonus we did not expect, but proved useful to keep the two bottles of wine I took on board (with no issue) cold, to enjoy when dispatched to the balcony at 18:00  while the females got ready

We booked second sitting in the Britannia restaurant and had a table for ten with superb company for every meal. It may be the nature of a short cruise, but on our table I was the oldest passenger at the grand old age of 57, dispelling some of the stories quoted on cruise forums regaling the advanced age of Cunard customers. It was also interesting to see all 4 groups on out table ordering wine with every meal, again in contrast  with some comments regarding the cost of drinks on Cunard ships. The food was excellent in every aspect, excellent selection every evening, with our table waiter taking time to give his recommendations for the evening meal. If there has been a dumbing down on service, quantity or quality then I am sorry I missed how it used to be because I found it all very, very good. We took breakfast in the main restaurant and lunch one day in the Golden Lion, a true pub at sea with a great pub atmosphere. I can not comment on the buffet as we did not use it, but my wife and daughter took afternoon tea one day and returned full of praise. Room service was quick with morning tea/coffee arriving within the 15 min time selected, and a sandwich ordered on our return from Bruges arriving within 20 minutes at what must have been a busy time.

We found the bars and lounges full of atmosphere, and enjoyed a G&T in Hemispheres every evening before dinner, and the show in the theatre post dinner.

I think what surprised me most was the level of service we enjoyed by every staff member we made contact with, nothing was to much trouble and they all seemed to enjoy giving good service, and certainly seem to enjoy there work. I think this may be led from the top, commodore Christopher Rynd was often seen on deck or around the ship interacting with passengers.

So, in conclusion, and I apologise for the lengthy tome, but I could really carry on extolling the virtues of this wonderful ship, a fantastic double first for us, but certainly not the last in either respect

Sean

There are a lot of misconceptions about Cunard, and I see you've discovered for yourself how wrong many of them are!

I'm itching to try Cunard again myself.

My one question:  which cruise lines don't have a small fridge in the stateroom?!

Seanda666 likes this

We have just returned from a short (3 night) cruise on Queen Victoria to Bruges. Our first short cruise, and our first cruise on a Cunard ship.

I think I can say for all three of us it certainly will not be the last visit to that part of Belgium,or our last cruise with Cunard.

We booked a balcony stateroom on deck 6 for the three of us and I can say we were impressed with the cabin layout, and quality of fittings and furniture. Although only a three night jaunt, our cabin steward was as attentive as any we have had on longer cruises, and greeting us by name on our first meeting with him. The addition of a fridge in the room was a bonus we did not expect, but proved useful to keep the two bottles of wine I took on board (with no issue) cold, to enjoy when dispatched to the balcony at 18:00  while the females got ready

We booked second sitting in the Britannia restaurant and had a table for ten with superb company for every meal. It may be the nature of a short cruise, but on our table I was the oldest passenger at the grand old age of 57, dispelling some of the stories quoted on cruise forums regaling the advanced age of Cunard customers. It was also interesting to see all 4 groups on out table ordering wine with every meal, again in contrast  with some comments regarding the cost of drinks on Cunard ships. The food was excellent in every aspect, excellent selection every evening, with our table waiter taking time to give his recommendations for the evening meal. If there has been a dumbing down on service, quantity or quality then I am sorry I missed how it used to be because I found it all very, very good. We took breakfast in the main restaurant and lunch one day in the Golden Lion, a true pub at sea with a great pub atmosphere. I can not comment on the buffet as we did not use it, but my wife and daughter took afternoon tea one day and returned full of praise. Room service was quick with morning tea/coffee arriving within the 15 min time selected, and a sandwich ordered on our return from Bruges arriving within 20 minutes at what must have been a busy time.

We found the bars and lounges full of atmosphere, and enjoyed a G&T in Hemispheres every evening before dinner, and the show in the theatre post dinner.

I think what surprised me most was the level of service we enjoyed by every staff member we made contact with, nothing was to much trouble and they all seemed to enjoy giving good service, and certainly seem to enjoy there work. I think this may be led from the top, commodore Christopher Rynd was often seen on deck or around the ship interacting with passengers.

So, in conclusion, and I apologise for the lengthy tome, but I could really carry on extolling the virtues of this wonderful ship, a fantastic double first for us, but certainly not the last in either respect

Sean

Absolutely no need to apologise at all Sean.

That amounts to an excellent insight, albeit a short cruise, into what Cunard is really all about.

How did you keep the two ladies occupied in the ballroom?wink.png wink.png

Seanda666 and RobBar like this

Hello Duncan

I don't remember a fridge on Ventura/Azura but my wife insists I am wrong

Sean

Your wife is correct and you are wrong there is a fridge in the cabins of both Ventura and Azura.wink.png

Seanda666 likes this

its so refreshing to hear positive comments from people doing a mini cruise. I also found Queen Elizabeth on a short cruise faultless. I always had the impression the mini cruises were full of younger passengers and the service was poor, but maybe Cunard have got it rightsmile.png

Seanda666 likes this

Sean you should write the brochures! you have me convinced, every part of what is written appeals and I must say I will consider a jaunt on Cunard in the future, the fares aren't even over the top at the moment!

Seanda666 and rachel like this

great review Sean, i was on Queen Elizabeth for 2 nights when she launched and i would love to try Cunard again. The dont scrimp on service on the mini cruises, which is sometimes the case with other cruise lines- seeing them as 'booze cruise's

Seanda666 likes this

Just a further observation, we have since returning had a telephone call from Cunard asking how we enjoyed the cruise and a follow up emil from them with a lady introducing herself as our personal cruise consultant, Excellent service from them pre and post cruise.

Sean

p.s many thanks for the kind words from members for the initial post.

RobBar likes this

From I have read and seen, the vast majority of short cruises , 2-4 day variety will attract younger folks (below 50) due to it is easier to get away from work or convince some poor grandparent to look after the critters while a lot of older folks will also use if living near to a port and not having to fly.

Prices for these short cruises also seem to attract the single / unattached woman to have their girl friends get together for a girls cruise.

I see on Facebook , a lot enjoy the variety of wine offered / lol