Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

What Do You Begrudge Spending Money On?

22 posts in this topic

Hi  I don't mind spending relatively large amounts of money on sailing on upper preminum cruise lines or above and I will even spend well over four figures for a road bike but I begrudge spending a vast amount of money on cars.  What do you not  mind spending money on and what do you economise on?

We spurge while on vacation, whether it be a cruise ship or a trip to Florida, Vegas, Chicago, etc. We also  like to own cars, and in my case trucks, with all the latest gadgets. However we are not much in to 'status vehicles'. When it comes to money we've never been to frugal when family members needed our help. What we don't like spending money on is the many taxes we pay to support the deadbeats! We seem to now have more and more of them!

JH327 likes this

Spending monies on Lottery tickets and not winning the BIG one :)  kidding

We will spend monies to have a good cruise and hotels, arguing about small things after spending large monies to enjoy oneself makes no sense to us.

Our car is used to get us from point A to B... now 7 years old

Good clothes to last

Hi  I don't mind spending relatively large amounts of money on sailing on upper preminum cruise lines or above and I will even spend well over four figures for a road bike but I begrudge spending a vast amount of money on cars.  What do you not  mind spending money on and what do you economise on?

Good morning Land Ahoy.

Like you on cruising I have no problem spending on quality cruise lines. Watch this space.

Unlike you I also have no problem spending vast amounts (?) on cars: as long as they too are quality vehicles.

I take the view that if I am going to drive in today's motoring conditions I want t do it in comfort.

As far as 'begrudging' spending, that's more difficult. Fortunately we all have a choice on what products we use and can chop and change to suit a budget.

Having said that the one item that does spring to mind is the heads for my Braun electric tooth brush. Braun appear to have a monopoly on their supply but I do like them so I bite the bullet so as to speak.

RobBar likes this

I hate spending money on food!!! It's a rip off!!! There are only two of us and if I need to do a "whole" shop it can be getting up to £80/week - That is an awful lot of money per month and I hate it!!!! haha

RobBar likes this

Ha ha  Honey73 ,, try going from 2 adults and Sunday dinner for three families to a daughter who moves back with two children and dog, course children being children ,, change their minds on what's to eat all the time.

I get your drift though....

Richard ,,, I am sure you have an old fashioned toothbrush as in manual one , around for emergencies as in no power , batteries gone :)

ron likes this

paying to park my car at the hospital, I know I have to pay it but I still begrudge it:(

I totally agree .....What a rip off! I dare not calculate how much We have spent over the last 4 years!

I hate spending money on food!!! It's a rip off!!! There are only two of us and if I need to do a "whole" shop it can be getting up to £80/week - That is an awful lot of money per month and I hate it!!!! haha

Ah, but do you consider you are eating well for that cost?

Some folk spend that on an evening meal out: granted it includes a bottle of wine.

Oh i think this one is easy to answer!! Basically anything that doesnt do or work as advertised, a fairly broad statement but it covers anything from cars, holidays or even a product from the local supermarket

I begrudge paying insurances of any type, although appreciating they are a necessity. I like to see something in my hands for my money. I am tight when it comes to clothing, and won't fall for designer labels. Similarly, I will not pay extra for a car just because of it's badge. A Ford does the same job as a BMW.

I begrudge paying insurances of any type, although appreciating they are a necessity. I like to see something in my hands for my money. I am tight when it comes to clothing, and won't fall for designer labels. Similarly, I will not pay extra for a car just because of it's badge. A Ford does the same job as a BMW.

Sorry, kite, can't agree with your last statement.  Having graduated from being a Ford fan to driving BMWs there is, in my opinion, no comparison.  Admittedly, my last 3 BMWs have been very highly spec'd, including multi-adjustable seating, head-up display etc. and the price tags have reflected that - but they have each been an absolute pleasure to drive.  In this modern age, when journey times are so unpredictable, I for one am prepared to pay extra for that cosseted feeling that Ford just cannot give me with there current offerings.  I await the Vignale with interest.

Hi David. Personal tastes, once again. I pay cash for my cars and like to have all the extras, but my budget won't stretch to a top of the range German car of youngish age. My top of the range Mondeo has all the luxuries and speed that I need, for the price of a basic to mid range prestige vehicle, and that suits me. What's a Vignale?

DavidH likes this

Hi David. Personal tastes, once again. I pay cash for my cars and like to have all the extras, but my budget won't stretch to a top of the range German car of youngish age. My top of the range Mondeo has all the luxuries and speed that I need, for the price of a basic to mid range prestige vehicle, and that suits me. What's a Vignale?

Hi kite,

Appreciate your comments.  Vignale is Ford's response to the need for a slightly more upmarket product and experience for the buyer.  They are launching the concept based on the Mondeo first and may then roll it out on other models.   An insight is available at "https://vignale.ford.co.uk".

iknowlescourier likes this

Sorry, kite, can't agree with your last statement.  Having graduated from being a Ford fan to driving BMWs there is, in my opinion, no comparison.  Admittedly, my last 3 BMWs have been very highly spec'd, including multi-adjustable seating, head-up display etc. and the price tags have reflected that - but they have each been an absolute pleasure to drive.  In this modern age, when journey times are so unpredictable, I for one am prepared to pay extra for that cosseted feeling that Ford just cannot give me with there current offerings.  I await the Vignale with interest.

We have had German cars in the past, husband loves them, me not so much.  Currently we have a top of the line Ford Explorer, bought because it has enough power to tow our boat.  A German car with similar towing capacity was far out of our price range.  The Explorer has more bells and whistles than we need - heated leather seats, Sat Nav, reversing camera etc, but these features are nice to have.  Our son was somewhat disparaging about our choice, but having tried it he changed his opinion.  I do grudge spending big money on cars, my feeling is that as long as it is reliable and comfortable it is adequate.  Maybe cars are 'man things' - to me they are nothing more than transportation.

iknowlescourier and Land Ahoy like this

Hi David.

Yes, it does look interesting. I have a Titanium X Sport now but will certainly take a look at the Vignale models when they come out. Never thought I would say that a car looks nice in brown lol

DavidH likes this