Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Pesky Pirate

Supermarket Offers

9 posts in this topic

I was going to put this on the begrudge thread but thought it might not be appropriate…

There are a lot of supermarket offers from the buy one get one free to the buy one get one half price… With the amount of food that the country wastes through taking advantage of these offers, and lets face it there isn't usually enough time for the food to be consumed prior to its sell buy date, I think that it would be better if supermarkets just reduced the items in the first place. This would probably result in more sales, including by those who are on there own who usually again fall foul of the offers by not being able to take advantage of them.

What do you think…

Most of the BOGOF offers come from the manufactures and not the supermarket which is why you will see the offer in various stores it is their way of getting rid of excess stock.

You would be appalled if you saw the amount of food supermarkets dispose of each and every day into compactors so it can't be eaten it is just squashed to a pulp as they are not even allowed to give or sell it cheap to staff.

Jaczs they could if so inclined half the time it is just to much trouble, but sometimes they do give certain foods to foodbanks. But as the pesky pirate says instead of the BOGOF sell the product cheaper. I don't think the manufacturer has much say in the matter the big 4 supermarkets call the shots imo.wink.png

Sadly if food has gone past the display until or use by it must be thrown only best before can be sold at a cheaper price or given away the rest must be destroyed yes even potatoes carrots and onions.

These sell by dates are a piece of nonesense. Most people have fridges and freezers these days.

I once was auditing a wholesale butcher's and there was meat in the freezer which was 7, yes 7, years old and when it was queried we were told that provided it was cooked within 24 hrs of defrosting there would be nothing wrong with it. That is nearly 40 years ago but nothing has really changed since then - has it?

There is a system being developed that may save waste. fresh food is packaged with a label that reacts to the food starting to 'go off'.For example the label may start off green, when the food starts to deteriorate it turns amber, you then need to eat the food within a few days before the label turns red. This way food will not need to be thrown away when it reaches a 'date' but when it genuinely is no longer fit to eat.  

A relative of mine worked in one of the big chain supermarkets and told me a story of a lad who was sacked for eating a bun that had been made that day but hadn't been sold and was about to go in the bin. I know rules are rules but that was harsh.

GiGi

Totally agree pesky pirate .  I am one of these that is addicted to BOGOF offers and do waste certain items . Definately better if they reduce.  I think Morrisons is going in the right direction , I have just done a online shop and my bill seems to have decreased