Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

vamp23

Princess Cruises Onboard Account Conversion

17 posts in this topic

I am due to go on my first Princess cruise at the end of the month and on my cruise personaliser it is asking me if I want my bank to convert my account or the ship . Does anyone know how much Princess charge ? I cannot find the information on their website .

Always ask to be billed in dollars and let your bank do the conversion. Cruise ships never give you a good exchange rate.

Brian

Very good information, Brianwink.png

We have done a few Princess cruises and always tell them to leave it and bill us in dollars do not fall for there "guarantee" that if you let them do it you wont lose out.

RobBar likes this

I was unsure which way to do this as my bank charge a 2% conversion charge, Ive checked with Princess and they dont charge so I'm still unsure which way to go. I suppose it depends on the rate the Princess convert at!!!

I am due to go on my first Princess cruise at the end of the month and on my cruise personaliser it is asking me if I want my bank to convert my account or the ship . Does anyone know how much Princess charge ? I cannot find the information on their website .

I was unsure which way to do this as my bank charge a 2% conversion charge, Ive checked with Princess and they dont charge so I'm still unsure which way to go. I suppose it depends on the rate the Princess convert at!!!

Good morning to you both.

Different Banks and different Credit cards (Most owned by banks) charge a varying percentage for 'foreign currency conversions'.

I seem to recall the smallest i have seen is 2.75%.

HSBC for instance charges that amount after the conversion has been made.

Far better to use one of the few Credit Cards that does not charge a fee. My preferences are the Halifax Clarity and Saga Platinum.

I hear what Cruise Chef says and that is fine to a point. Princess may not charge a fee but what 'rate of exchange' are they using?

That is where the calculation hinges.

RobBar likes this

We have always asked to be charged in dollars, they did once charge in £ although we had requested dollars . We were about £70 out of pocket they said they could do nothing on board even though they had made the mistake. We complained when we returned but they only returned about £20 -we were a party of four and they only returned the difference for one passenger. 

We always get billed in dollars and let our bank do what they need to do, and I like to think we have done the right thing - but maybe need to try the other way around once to know for sure?

use GBP to buy onboard dollars before you go £300 buys $500 dollars a good exchange rate and no charge from princess or your bank.

How do you do that Seawitch please?  I like that idea

telephone the customer services at princess and tell them you want to gift yourself onboard credit. enjoy your cruise.

Fab Seawitch - thank you very much.  I will give them a call in the morning - and also look at the cruise personalised, as I think that may have an option to gift an onboard credit??  

What a brilliant forum this is :-)

As a regular with Princess, Windstar and Regent I found it better all round to open a US Dollar account with my bank. When the exchange rates are good I use a currency broker to convert GBP to $US. No bank or cruise line fees, you are in charge. 

As a regular with Princess, Windstar and Regent I found it better all round to open a US Dollar account with my bank. When the exchange rates are good I use a currency broker to convert GBP to $US. No bank or cruise line fees, you are in charge.

That is exactly what we do. It works out better for us.