Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GiGi

Christmas Food

22 posts in this topic

It's getting closer and I was wondering what are your favourite foods over the festive period or what foods instantly remind you of Christmas?

Last weekend we had Bucks Fizz with the last of a bottle of bubbly and I made smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and as we sat at the table we both said it suddenly felt like Christmas morning.

GiGi

Sailaway and Land Ahoy like this

Hi  Some food/drinks are reminiscent of Xmas's long ago but for the wrong reasons.  Terrible sweet sherry, Snowballs and Babycham etc.  However, the smells of spices (e.g. Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg etc.) always evoke the spirit of Xmas even in summer.   Am I unusual in that I really enjoy Christmas pudding and even love it served cold, broken into small pieces and folded into homemade ice cream.

Sailaway likes this

Christmas pudding- I make my own.I make my own glace oranges to line the basin, dried apricots soaked in golden rum & lots of fruit, nuts and spices. Bought the Heston Blumenthal pudding one year and my guests complained.

Sailaway likes this

Nice one David H perhaps you could try the new kids on the block this year PURPLE SPROUTS!!  I automatically think of gingerbread and the fantastic ginf=gerbread nativity scenes I have seen on ships in past years.  Who can beat a good warm mince pie thoughrolleyes.gif

I love all of the Christmas food pretty much!

My Christmas food build-up always starts... about now!  With Starbucks red cups (Toffee Nut or Eggnog Lattes) and the various Christmas sandwiches that appear in supermarkets and sandwich shops.  Not to forget mince pies, which I've already had a few of this year!

Later will be the plethora of Christmas lunches with friends and ex-colleagues.  Then my Edinburgh break with Alex where some intimate Michelin-starred festive dining will be enjoyed.  Finally Christmas day with family always has to be some sort of roast bird (who are these people ordering Chinese food on Christmas day - for shame!) with a delicious christmas pudding and copious amounts of whisky sauce (and whisky generally, of a higher quality than goes in the sauce).

I can't wait - it's my favourite time of the year!

Sailaway likes this

My hubby would agree with the Brussels sprouts. After hating them for most of his life, since marrying me he now loves them. I bought some a few weeks ago when the first batch came into the shop and when he saw them his eyes lit up and he said "ooooh can we have bread sauce and pigs in blankets too" !! I ended up making pretty much a Christmas dinner and not wanting to leave the half dozen or so in the serving dish he went on to do a perfect enactment of the famous sprout scene from the Vicar of Dibley !!!

GiGi

doratheexplorer likes this

So it looks like you are all lovers of festive fare and are looking forward to Christmas.

Being a lover of the season and someone who enjoys cooking I always wonder what others will be cooking over the holiday period. This year for us it looks like this .....

Christmas Eve - Roast fillet of beef, Yorkshire puddings, mixed roast veggies, green beans and I always have to make creamed garlic Savoy cabbage for these friends who come on this night along with a traditional trifle like our grandmas made it with raspberry Swiss roll on the bottom!

The big day - Christmas dinner as we all know it and to keep everyone happy at least 7 different vegetables. But no pudding, warm mince pies and a cheese board.

Boxing Day - Roast venison with Yorkshire sauce, a selection of veg and the must have is scallion mashed potato.

I can't wait but my sister is the opposite, she hates cooking and dreads Christmas Day from one year to the next.

What's cooking at yours this year?

GiGi