Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leogoldie

Mosquito Bite

13 posts in this topic

Chikungunya, which is contracted through mosquito bites, causes a sudden onset of fever and agonising joint pain, particularly affecting the hands, wrists, ankles and feet.

British tourists and expats are among hundreds of thousands of cases reported since the beginning of the outbreak last year.

Dr Saranthdany Xavier, a doctor on Bequia island in St Vincent and the Grenadines who contracted the disease, said: ‘The outbreak began here in April and since then there have been about 2,000 cases in the country as a whole.

‘From August, it has been calming down but we are still treating a few cases.

'Lots of my friends have come down with it. The mosquitoes … bite everyone the same.’

Shavern Ollivierre, of the community group Action Bequia, said: ‘I had it back in May and it was really quite painful for three days.

'It’s a very grave problem … in the entire region.

'I’ve got a lot of family in Barbados and it is rampant there.’

According to the Caribbean Public Health Agency, there have been 165 confirmed cases in St Vincent and the Grenadines – and locals say the suspected number is much higher.

In Barbados, there were 58 confirmed diagnoses and 1,258 suspected sufferers.

I'm really surprised by this as quite a few of my friends cruised the Caribbean earlier this year and never mentioned anything. When I asked them about it they didn't know what I was talking about.

I've just been on the holiday/cruise operators websites and no ships are changing itineraries etc...and nothing is reported.

Would like to see how this pans out!

There was an article in The Daily Mail today regarding this Chikungunya virus in the Caribbean ,caused by mosquito bites.

According to the article It seems the best protection is to use a good insect repellant to prevent being bitten in the first place, apparently it cannot be transmitted by person to person .

This was the first report I had read of this virus.

RiverSong likes this

I read the report in the Daily Mail and this is the first time I have heard anything about it!  Like most articles that the Mail produce I can understand why anyone travelling there may be concerned.  My understanding is this has been going on since last December, putting into perspective the volume of travellers that will have gone to the Caribbean on land based as well as cruise holidays I can guarantee if this was a major problem we would of heard more about it before now, and the World Health Organization would be involved?  Let’s be honest the media love a story like this.  I am not dismissing anyone that has come in contact with this virus, but it would never stop me travelling to the Caribbean and what better way to see it than on the comfort of a cruise ship.  If anyone is really concerned surely the first point of call would be your Doctors?

Furby, vamp23 and hturtle like this

Not the daily outrage again, this mozzie bite problem has been in the caribbean for some time, If it was as serious as they had made out nobody would be visiting and all the holiday & cruise companies would be advising that malaria medication would be mandatory.

MUST BE A QUIET NEWS DAY AGAIN!!!

probably more chance of being hit by a bus walking down the street!!!!!!!

The symptoms seem to be similar to other illnesses such as the flu. We've been to the Caribbean many times and I don't think we've had it. Apparently it only affects you once and then you're immune.

Around here in the Lower Ohio River Valley we have the West Nile Virus which is also transmitted by mosquitoes.

Click this link for more info on the Chikungunya Virus:  http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/symptoms/index.html

We will be in the Caribbean in early January and are looking forward to it.

This is what todays ABTA Bulletin had to say on the matter

The ABTA Destination Services team have been circulating regular updates with regards to Chikungunya.    As a reminder, Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease transmitted to humans by the bites of infected female mosquitoes.

Chikungunya is characterized by an abrupt onset of fever frequently accompanied by joint pain. Other common signs and symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. The joint pain is often very debilitating, but usually lasts for a few days or may be prolonged to weeks.

There is no cure for Chikungunya. Treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms; therefore it is essential that insect bite avoidance measures are practiced. 

Basic precautions should be taken by people traveling to risk areas and these include use of repellents containing DEET, wearing long sleeves and trousers and ensuring rooms are fitted with screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering.  For those who sleep during the daytime, particularly young children, or sick or older people, insecticide treated mosquito nets offer good protection. Mosquito coils or other insecticide vaporizers may also reduce indoor biting.

The NaTHNaC insect bite avoidance traveller sheet can be accessed here: https://www.nathnac.org/travel/misc/travellers_mos.htm

The latest WHO update suggests that Chikungunya has been identified in nearly 40 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe and also in the Americas.  As of October 2014, over 776 000 suspected cases of Chikungunya have been recorded in the Caribbean islands, Latin American countries and some south American countries. 152 deaths have also been attributed to this disease during the same period. Mexico and USA have also recorded imported cases. On 21 October 2014, France confirmed four cases of chikungunya locally-acquired infection in Montpellier, France.

The WHO factsheet on Chikungunya can be accessed by the following link: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs327/en/