Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Oldworldtraveller

What Should The Dress Code Be?

56 posts in this topic

Yes I appreciate that this is a thorny subject and I have posted it, again tongue in cheek, to see if a reasoned discussion can be had on the subject.

Firstly on most cruise lines the dress code is only 'Suggested or Recommended'. People complain that other passengers don't adhere to the dress code but as already said in most cases it is only suggested or recommended not compulsory. Going to the other extreme if they recommended torn jeans how many would comply?

There are approximately 60 cruise lines operating over 300 cruise ships with different suggested and recommended dress codes.

What are your true thoughts, suggestions and wishes on dress code.wink.png

seaworld1 likes this

Hi  As you state there are many cruise lines in operation and so the choice of dress code you wish to adopt is extremely flexible.  Even  the 6* vessels have a wide variation in the dress style you wish to wear (Silversea, Cunard Grill and CrystaL still have formal nights whereas Regent and Seabourn have Country Cluib Casual).  This also applies to the mainstream cruise lines although the number which still suggest formal wear is diminishing.  Since the choice dress code is so wide I think all passengers should comply with the recommended dress code, if you don't wish to don a tux /ball gown/cocktail dress you should have booked a cruise on a different line.   I accept social behaviour is different to what it was in the past and it is reflected in the many cruise lines which have done away with formal nights.

legionman123 and momoperth like this

I like the formal nights but I think semi formal ( or Jacket required) a bit pointless. I know some of P&O's ships now have only 2 dress codes and I'd be happy with that Formal nights and casual nights. I think it would make formal nights that little bit more special.

nick1310, momoperth, rachel and 3 others like this

I agree with Land Ahoy, there are different ships offering a wide variety of dress codes to suit all tastes. Just wish passengers would comply to the recommended dress codes, and personally wish the cruise lines would enforce rather than suggest or recommend.

Opportunities whereby people dress up these days are diminishing, so for me to be able to dress up on a cruise, makes it all the more special, therefore would look more favourable on a cruise line offering this facility.

As for torn jeans being recommended, although I wear jeans, they are never of the torn variety, so would never wear a pair on land or sea, if a cruise line had an enforced policy for this type of clothing, then would look elsewhere when booking. Just wish those who do not adhere to the dress codes would do the same.

We are traditionalists when it comes to wearing apparel.  We always check in advance on the expectations of the cruise line with which we are booking/travelling and pack appropriately to be able to feel comfortable on those occasions in which we are likely to wish to participate.  In my case, for example, I would not dream of taking lunch in a formal dining area without changing into slacks and a casual shirt with some sort of collar.

We enjoy formal nights on those cruise lines which offer them and my wife always reminds me of how much she has saved me over the years by designing and making her own clothes.  Every new cruise can expect to be graced by several new outfits, none of which will ever place her at risk of meeting someone wearing the same dress.  For my own part, I usually take both black and white jacket options, with accessories to colour match with my wife's outfits.

We certainly feel that people choosing a particular cruise should be prepared to adhere to the stated dress codes or stay out of the relevant areas at those times.  Ship's personnel should be trained to discreetly ensure that their company's guidelines are adhered to.

Fudge, Furby, nick1310 and 3 others like this

I see that a recent survey suggests that 70% of cruisers want the cruise lines to re-introduce formal wear throughout their ships. 

I certainly am of the opinion that any dress code should be enforced rather that just recommended and that everyone should comply - if they dont agree then choose another ship.

With baggage weight limits being enforced I think that cutting out the "semi formal" wear may be an option

Just my opinion

David E

Clinty, Fudge and Sailaway like this

I like formal nights and think they should be enforced.  When people are presented with a choice there will always be those who choose not to 'dress up' so there is a mish mash on formal nights instead of uniformity. 

seaworld1 and Sailaway like this

As I said in my original post this was to get a reasoned discussion on the subject and I think this has been achieved.

It's interesting to note that people believe a dress code should be enforced but it's difficult to enforce something that is only recommended or suggested. If ships made a dress code compulsory then they would undoubtedly lose customers which would hit their profit margins and ships already are not sailing full.

This year I have sailed with 5 different cruise lines and they all had a recommended dress code. It is very noticeable that of these it was only P&O and Fred Olsen where you see black tie attire on 'Formal' nights worn by the majority. This may have something to do with the fact that different parts of the world have different versions of formal wear. For example a Sulu is part of the formal wear in Fiji but I wonder what reception a male entering a restaurant on a formal night might receive if wearing one!!. On many lines a business suit is considered formal whilst on others formal nights are a thing of the past as I believe they will be on most lines in a few years time.

We that post on forums make up a very small percentage of the 2.7 million who cruised out of the UK last year and that figure is growing. Cruise lines are getting bigger ships and attracting a younger passenger of which I would suggest the vast majority do not own black tie attire. Personally whilst I always adhere to the dress code I do find it tiresome carting black tie attire around the world especially with weight restrictions on aircraft. That of course is another subject. Why is the limit on European flights with the major airlines 23 kilo but fly as I did early this week from Brazil the limit is 2 bags up to 32 kilo each? Just my opinion.

pennbank, winjad, momoperth and 1 other like this

You are in my opinion correct with your assumption although I do enjoy the Formal nights it is as you say a little tiresome carrying Black tie attire around the world.

Plus the people who are now starting to cruise are of a younger generation with different fashions, I am quite comfortable with what is worn so long as it is smart.wink.png

momoperth and pennbank like this

To my mind a formal night is what it says - formal.  I think the suggested code statement is being read the wrong way.  I think it is there to give passengers an indication of what to wear on formal night, i.e. long evening gown or dinner suit, not an invitation to disregard/flout the type of evening it is. 

ron, Jaczs, Mistymoon and 1 other like this

Spot on Fudge I agree 100% you know well in advance how many casual, semi formal and formal nights there are and should dress appropriately. If you don't want to then pick a line which is more suitable to your needs.

Mistymoon and ron like this

I live in Canada and will be flying to Britain for the August 20 Cunard Mediterranean cruise. Having to pack a tuxedo is a bit much as I never wear a tuxedo, no matter where I go, although I do wear a formal suit with starched shirt and nice tie every day for work. Maybe I will wear a Winston Churchill bow tie and a dark blue suit for the formal evenings of which there are two. If it was good enough for Winston it should be good enough for Cunard.   

I always try adhere to the cruise lines suggested dress code, however on one particular occasion I was 'forced' to dine with my dinner jacket on, nothing other than it makes me feel very uncomfortable and restricted when eating, I felt that was very much over the top. I accepted it and didn't make a fuss, but haven't sailed that particular line since, which may seem a little extreme to some, but for me it totally took away my enjoyment of the cruise, as I ended up not using the MDR for the remainder of my time on board.

Most frustrating was that on the previous evenings nothing was said.

HLM.

J2bec likes this

Just one point, people are assuming that younger passengers do not want to wear or enjoy wearing formal wear. If you go into any formal hire shop around June you will see them packed with 15-25 year olds. Young people these days are much more likely to have dressed in black tie than I did at their age, and they certainly seem to enjoy it.

I think formal wear is far more popular in Britain than most other parts of the world, and it is inevitable that non British cruise lines will have a less rigid dress code.  I think it is reasonable to expect international passengers on a British cruise line to accept the formal dress code, but it is also reasonable for British passengers on international cruise lines to accept that they will probably be mixing with people to whom dressing formally is not important.

Sheila

I am pretty inexperienced at cruising with my second one coming up in July. Both will be with P&O. I don't object to formal nights providing that formal includes lounge suits. Having spent all my working life formally dressed so to speak it holds no particular interest to me but I appreciate it is liked by many cruise customers and I wouldn't want to spoil their enjoyment providing there is a degree of flexibility. For me to hire/buy a dinner suite for use once every five years is hardly a good investmentwink.png

David

I agree excellent reasoning Sheila, it is also the customers responsibility to choose a product that caters for their tastes. No point in booking a line with a rigid dress code if you are not willing to adhere to it and as there is plenty of choice out there moaning about it after you have booked shows a lack of researching your own holiday.

I agree excellent reasoning Sheila, it is also the customers responsibility to choose a product that caters for their tastes. No point in booking a line with a rigid dress code if you are not willing to adhere to it and as there is plenty of choice out there moaning about it after you have booked shows a lack of researching your own holiday.

Could not agree more cruise chef. There's no excuse anymore, firstly because of the sheer amount of cruise lines and ships to choose from these days that cater for so many preferences and secondly because the wealth of information available both online and in brochures in the modern day is incredible. There is no way you can book a cruise and not come across the dress code issue. It's everywhere and therefore not adhering to it seems crazy if you've booked the holiday knowing what to expect in the first place.

Captain Kidd II likes this

We thought that the removal of semi-formal nights on P&O would be a shame but we found that formal and casual nights worked quite well. As mentioned they are the suggested minimum requirement. Ladies can wear "posh frocks" and men "suited" every evening if they wish to. I do think that the dress code should apply to every venue on the ship not just certain eating places and bars. Passengers who don't like dressing up should seek their cruise else where!

I am rather tired of hearing complaints from passengers who have cruised on the same ship/liner time and time again. Please will they cruise with another company.

So far we are perfectly happy with Arcadia and Aurora.

momoperth and Tally like this