Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Honey73

Fabulous Viking River Cruise! :)

22 posts in this topic

Hi All!!

Back from my trip down the Danube on the Rinda with Viking River Cruises and what a fantastic time I had!!!! I must admit, I was a little wary at first as I thought everyone would be in bed by 8pm...but I was so wrong!! Had a marvellous time! Budapest is a fantastic city along with Vienna and Melk and you get free city tours within your price, along with all your meals and free drinks at meal times! The waiters made sure my wine glass was always topped up! You can choose a continental breakfast and light lunch in the Aquavit Terrace or you can opt for Full English breakfast buffet style in the main restaurant along with menu choices i.e. eggs benedict, full menu choice and buffet at lunch and full table service for evening meal, always a different choice on the menu and usually local cuisine however there is also Steak, Salmon and Chicken breast on the menu every evening.  You can help yourself to free and unlimited Tea, Coffee and hot chocolate throughout the day along with baskets of lovely fresh cookies, cakes, biscuits etc.  The entertainment is low key but really really good fun with a pianist who loves you to sing a long with him, local entertainment, fun quiz's and the staff are absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to go again! Just need to choose where!!!

It sounds fabulous! The photos are great! A river cruise is on our bucket list, however our bucket has a hole in it.

We will be on a partial river cruise in about 2 weeks as it takes about 8 hours for the Serenade of the Seas to navigate the Mississippi River before entering the Gulf of Mexico.

I had a really great time, it was my birthday whilst we were away so we went to Mozart & Strauss Concert in Vienna....how could you not???? .....I'm so glad I did, it was amazing.  The excursions are really well organised, we did so much in the week but on the flip side of that it was really relaxing too.  I was so surprised with how smooth the sailing was, I thought it would be a little rocky but you cannot even tell you are moving.  I can't wait to see their new ships launch for ocean cruising!!

andreant likes this

Would love to go on  river cruise, unfortunately the good ones all seem to involve flying so that is a no no.

Hi  Some Rhine river cruise lines do allow you to take the train from London to the embarkation port so it is possible to take a river cruise without flying.  However, beware you will be responsible for transferring your own luggage when you change train stations in Paris

Furby likes this

Hi All!!

Back from my trip down the Danube on the Rinda with Viking River Cruises and what a fantastic time I had!!!! I must admit, I was a little wary at first as I thought everyone would be in bed by 8pm...but I was so wrong!! Had a marvellous time! Budapest is a fantastic city along with Vienna and Melk and you get free city tours within your price, along with all your meals and free drinks at meal times! The waiters made sure my wine glass was always topped up! You can choose a continental breakfast and light lunch in the Aquavit Terrace or you can opt for Full English breakfast buffet style in the main restaurant along with menu choices i.e. eggs benedict, full menu choice and buffet at lunch and full table service for evening meal, always a different choice on the menu and usually local cuisine however there is also Steak, Salmon and Chicken breast on the menu every evening.  You can help yourself to free and unlimited Tea, Coffee and hot chocolate throughout the day along with baskets of lovely fresh cookies, cakes, biscuits etc.  The entertainment is low key but really really good fun with a pianist who loves you to sing a long with him, local entertainment, fun quiz's and the staff are absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to go again! Just need to choose where!!!

Excellent news.

I'm a great fan of Viking River Cruises and it's always good to hear another members excellent review.

We did the Danube on Viking Embla and also had an outstanding time.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/28/solent-richard-catches-a-viking-maiden/

Your comment of Melk brought back some fond memories...

8856282668_9f8f18c1cd_z.jpg

All too often seasoned cruisers whinge regarding the pricing of river cruises but with companies like Viking you certainly get value for money.

Honey73 likes this

I went on a Viking river cruise too in Germany -Passau to Nuremburg. It was a great experience and lovely to see the Bavarian scenery and medieval towns with their cobbled streets. I enjoyed going through the locks and watching the staff at work. The atmosphere was very relaxed and informal - everyone was like part of a family. I would definitely recommend.

Honey73 likes this

The pictures look fab. Was it through Viking that you went? Ive heard AMA Waterways are supposed to be fantastic for River Cruising also.

Hi  I haven't sailed with AMA Waterways so I can't comment on the quality of the cruise experience but I can vouch for Uniworld they offer an excellent product.

Yes I've heard of AMA too but again I can't comment first hand, but I can definately recommend Viking....brilliant from start to finish :) Thank you Bolsover Cruise Club who recommended it in the first place :)

Also did Danube 2014 fantastic every thing so well done so much so we are doing the DOURO in June for our golden anniversary.

We enjoyed the small ship and everybody was so friendly no stand offishiness we have found when ocean cruising [not every body but it does happen] Nothing was too much trouble even when the chef was asked for a curry he went and bought all the spices and made a very good chicken curry to a recipe provided by an Indian lady passenger. He being Austrian had never made a curry before.

Ian

Just re-reading my post from a year ago!!!! Booked another river cruise, trying APT this time, Bordeaux in July 2016, I've booked their all inclusive option which picks me up from home to airport and back, all inclusive drinks and excursions and extra special excursions to choose too..............roll on July!!!

DavidH likes this

Just re-reading my post from a year ago!!!! Booked another river cruise, trying APT this time, Bordeaux in July 2016, I've booked their all inclusive option which picks me up from home to airport and back, all inclusive drinks and excursions and extra special excursions to choose too..............roll on July!!!

Hi Honey73,

Sounds like a great trip.  Particularly like the all inclusive package, with airport transfers.

I was going to post that I would waive to you if I spotted an APT boat from our caravan site on the the banks of La Garonne but then I realised that the timing is not quite right.  We are planning a 3 night stop at Camping de Bordeaux Lac in late June as part of our 2016 caravan tour from Santander to Calais, whilst your trip is in July.  By then, we will have moved on via the area round Bergerac, the Dordogne, up to Limoges and then spending time in the Loire Valley, where we will meet up with some members of the family.

I think I enjoy the plannning as much as the trip itself.

Here's to good weather for us both!! smile.png

DavidH

Honey73 likes this

Would love to go on  river cruise, unfortunately the good ones all seem to involve flying so that is a no no.

Elvis, some companies travel to the port by coach e.g. Shearings. We did one 10 years ago & we had a night in a hotel on the way & another night in a different hotel on the way back from Germany. It was very relaxing & a great holiday.

Honey73 likes this

Ahhh David I'm going to wave in that direction anyway just in case you extend your stay! haha.  What an itinerary for you...must have taken a while to plan....I bet your holidays are amazing!! I will be raising a glass in celebration of our joint holidays!! biggrin.png

DavidH likes this