Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sw7349

Caribbean Cruise Flight.

19 posts in this topic

Hi sw7349

Yes you will be provided with a meal and later a snack such as sandwiches and cake, if you have upgraded your flight to premium seats you will get free drinks if you are in standard economy you will have to buy your drinks.

We are also going to the Caribbean on Thomson Dreamliner 787 and wondered if anyone has been on this type of plane. As this is our 1st Caribbean cruise and my husband's 1st experience of long-haul flights I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on whether it worth upgrading to Premium Economy or would the money be better spent on excursions around the islands?

Hi Walkie Talkie although I have not yet been on the Dreamliner quite a few friends have and they all agree it is a wonderful plane to go on. It is a much more spacious plane both in terms of head height and seat pitch. I usually book Premium Economy but have decided that as our next cruise is using a Dreamliner I will not be paying to upgrade and will use the £600 saved on something else instead.

Hi Jaczs thank you for your comments, this is why a forum such as this is a good source of information. I go to Western Canada on my own quite a lot and, after the experience of flying in economy the first time, always upgrade and have much more bearable flights which is why I asked about the Dreamliner.  I spoke to the manager of my local Tomson shop yesterday and he told me he and other managers were invited to try it out on a test flight from Manchester to Majorca and he had ample room and he is not a small guy either in height or width. So it looks like hubbie and I will be having some very good excursions with the money saved.

Hi Walkie Talkie that is much the same as what I have been told I believe it has a 6 ft head height at the lowest point and a minimum of 33 inch pitch on economy seats which is what you get in most premium upgrades which is why I have decided to fly economy this time. My friend is very tall and he had no problems what so ever with the normal seats.

Have just been on a Carabean fly cruise, both ways on a Thomson Dreamliner in the "cheap" seats, and I can honestly say they were the most comfortable flights I have had. I am 6ft 2ins and I had about a 3ins gap to the seat in front. No complaints at all.

DavidH and Oldworldtraveller like this

Thank you doelearog for the update on the Dreamliner and I am glad you had good flights.  The more I hear about the Dreamliner the more I am actually looking forward to the flight, normally I would be dreading it.

Also, talking about flights, we went to Majorca a few weeks ago on Monarch, this was our first experience of Monarch and I have to tell you that both the landings were fantastic. We barely noticed we had landed, certainly the best we have every had.

On the subject of legroom there has been some recent publicity about "air rage" disputes where people have used a small "knee defender" device to prevent the seat in front from reclining.

Monarch are the latest airline to dump reclining seats, so it could well be that at some point all airline seats will be fixed.

Although Monarch announced this in May last year I am not sure that I would want to do a 10 hour plus trip overnight without a recline option. There was never a problem with seat recline before airlines started reducing leg room to get more passengers on the plane and thus maximise their profits. Increase the leg room back to a minimum of 32 inches in economy and keep reclining seats, problem solved. Back in the 70's when I was flying with Pan Am on their 747's they had an economy seat pitch of 34 inches with a 2-4-3 seating configuration. When I flew back from Brazil a few weeks ago on a BA 747 it was 31 inches with a 3-4-3 configuration. Oh how times have changed. 

On our recent flights with Air New Zealand to and from Los Angeles Silversea booked us 'economy' class seats.

Fortunately Air New Zealand offer an upgrade on check-in, which we took,  and made good use of their 'Skycoach'...

16547400051_7ed8ffdbe7_z.jpg

which converts to this...

15928902803_48825737e9_z.jpg

All explained on this...

16547399821_35e4a0feaa_z.jpg

16523083706_638d24d8fa_z.jpg

just been to caribbean and flew both ways with thomson and you do get meals included in economy, flew back on the dreamliner and it is the most comfortable flight i have ever been on

I always thought it was Air New Zealand's 'Skycouch'

Thanks for that 123LK(?).

We have missed you. That proof reading job is still available. laugh.png laugh.png