Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Cruise Fares

8 posts in this topic

Hi  Since most cruise lines set their prices for the forthcoming season the Pound has increased in value against the Euro and the cost of fuel has fallen greatly.  Do you expect cruise to pass these savings on to passengers who have already booked?   I don't but I suspect some of these savings may be used to offer lower boarding fares to those booking late to fill the ship.

This topic has been discussed previously and the concensus of opinion is i believe, that nobody but the cruise companies will benefit from the fall in oil price and the stronger pound.

They always state that they buy there fuel oil months if not years in advance when the costs were higher, so lets wait and see if fares are reduced or the fuel premium is dropped in the forthcoming months but as has been stated by fellow cruisers don't hold your breath.sad.png

Sorry, guys but I never give this sort of thing a moment's thought.  When I see a cruise I want and I feel the price quoted is reasonable, I book it and that's that.  Never look to see if I could have got it cheaper later/sooner.  Life's too short and there's much more interesting things to do.  If the companies don't make a profit, they go out of business and then, no more cruises.  Naive, maybe but that's the way I choose to look at it.

Furby likes this

David.

I am like yourself I do not look to see if my fare has gone up or down, but I think this is a different item were part of your fare is based on the cost of oil. (fuel supplement) which they can impose when they see fit no matter when you have booked.

I am sure you have noticed how quick things go up but are very slow coming down.

I will bet you are happier petrol price's have come down!!

We are all aware( I think) that companies have to make a profit but are you happy if they make excessive profits?wink.png

DavidH likes this

Over here we have so much competition among the cruise lines we can get some great deals. The problem for us is getting to port. Flying has become such a hassle so we only look for cruises from New Orleans. Our city only has a commuter airport so we generally have to fly north to Chicago or Detroit for a connecting flight to end up south. Also, the fares are outrageous, especially after they tack on charges for luggage. With the wait time and delays it's not worth it! We can drive to the port of New Orleans in 10 hours. We have received fare reductions before making final payments on cruises that have been reduced to help sell all the cabins. Our TA, who is now retired, watched this very closely for us.

As KeithnRita have said there is a lot of competition in the States and cruises are a lot cheaper. They also have the advantage that if the fares are reduced then your final invoice is also reduced unlike here where once booked that is the price that you pay even if it does drop.

As KeithnRita have said there is a lot of competition in the States and cruises are a lot cheaper. They also have the advantage that if the fares are reduced then your final invoice is also reduced unlike here where once booked that is the price that you pay even if it does drop.

Not if you book with Princess they will honour the price reduction in the UK as long as you ask for it.

I cannot see the cruise companies using a saving on fuel to offer lower fares to passengers who book on late deals. Surely this will mean enhanced profits and better dividends for shareholders.

ron likes this