Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kerry304

Is A Balcony Essential On A Fjords Cruise?

24 posts in this topic

Just spotted a bargain 1 week cruise to the Fjords on Azura in July (£499), but am wondering if we'd be missing out on the scenery by not having a balcony?

There's a huge jump in price for a balcony (£300pp) then it makes it not such an attractive offer!! huh.png  (i know i'm tight, i'm a Yorkshire lass at heart you know).

I haven't sailed around this area so your opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks  

we have done numerous cruises to Norway and always had an inside cabin when you are on deck you have a full view of everything in a balcony you only see one side of the ship. Stick with an inside cabin and save your money you will need every penny youve got for when you dock biggrin.png .

kerry304 likes this

I will always book the best cabin I can afford at the time, if you can go for the balcony then do it treat yourself, but if it meant the difference between a balcony or not going nothing wrong with an inside cabin.  Azura is a lovely ship,  I have been in a inside cabin on her it was everthing I needed, for the best views you would probably go on deck.

At that price get onto Bolsover and book it smile.png

Oldworldtraveller and kerry304 like this

My husband likes to get up very early and photograph the changing scenery whilst sailing down the fjords. We find that's best done from a balcony but we've also done it from on deck. The trouble with that is you've got to get dressed first!

kerry304 likes this

Only you can make the decision as to what is right for you, kerry304.  Personally, I would never be without a balcony but that's not to say you couldn't have a fantastic time without one.  Just that you can only take in the views in a public forum if you don't have your own, personal, outdoor space.  When we cruised the fjords on Arcadia, we and our friends deliberately chose balcony cabins looking out over the stern of the ship so we had fantastic views, particularly on our way out of each call.  The views of the midnight sun over the top of the world in the (not so) early hours of the morning will live in my memory forever.  Whatever you decide, have a fabulous time!!

kerry304 likes this

You have to remember that you will be there when the days are almost at their longest. That means that there will potentially be excellent views to be seen from before 4.00 am, as you head into the fjords, and you probably wouldn't want to be on deck that early. We usually sleep with the curtains open so that we maximise our views of the scenery.

kerry304 likes this

I will always book the best cabin I can afford at the time, if you can go for the balcony then do it treat yourself, but if it meant the difference between a balcony or not going nothing wrong with an inside cabin.  Azura is a lovely ship,  I have been in a inside cabin on her it was everthing I needed, for the best views you would probably go on deck.

At that price get onto Bolsover and book it smile.png

Good advice RiverSong.

I take the view (excuse the pun) that if you can afford a balcony then that is why one should have.

I mean to say, it gives you the best of all options and means one doesn't have to linger on deck 'just in case' something comes into view.

RiverSong and kerry304 like this

Good advice RiverSong.

If you can afford a balcony have a stern one so you see the full panorama as you sail by. It's all very well having a inside cabin and then spending your time on deck if the weather is good but what if it rains, is cold or windy. Standing around on the deck suddenly becomes less than attractive.

DavidH, kerry304 and RiverSong like this

Thank you for all of your comments, i'm still undecided! Now it's more a case of 'i'd like' a balcony but may have to plump for an inside as we have other holidays booked. I'm thinking we could do a couple of really good excursions for the difference in cost. Ooh decisions, decisions!

Or maybe I take a chance and leave it a bit longer to see what happens... wink.png 

Thank you for all of your comments, i'm still undecided! Now it's more a case of 'i'd like' a balcony but may have to plump for an inside as we have other holidays booked. I'm thinking we could do a couple of really good excursions for the difference in cost. Ooh decisions, decisions!

Or maybe I take a chance and leave it a bit longer to see what happens... wink.png

I would rather be on a ship in an inside cabin than at home. When we have a balcony unless, as someone mentioned, it is on the stern, we still spend a lot of time on deck to get the full view. You don't know what you are missing on the other side of the ship! A balcony is wonderful for reading quietly, or enjoying fresh air, but as a vantage point for scenery it can leave much to be desired. We switch from inside to balcony according to our budget. Often we can take advantage of a good deal to add an extra cruise by taking an inside cabin.

kerry304 likes this

Once when on the fjords I went on deck to take photos whilst hubby took them from the balcony, He missed a submarine surfacing then going under again as he was on the wrong side of the ship, also don't forget unless you are able to get a stern balcony you will be seeing the same views going into the fjord as coming out again.

kerry304 likes this

When i am deciding i try to consider the difference in price, if theres a massive difference i tend to think save the money on the cabin as it is towards your spending money if the difference is minimal id go for it!

It's just got to be a matter of personal choice - how much money you want to spend. For me a balcony is very important but then I'm lucky and have always been able to cruise with a balcony. When we visited the Fjords we were up at 5am, with fleeces on top of jumpers and trousers and sat on the balcony drinking cups of tea (my husband) and coffee (me). It was lovely just to be able to pop back inside for another drink. No it's not essential but it was lovely. We had a balcony at the rear of the ship so we were able to see both sides of the Fjord. Also what you miss on the way in you will see on the way out.

I think the fact is that with more and more cruise ships being built and balconies being well in the majority of available cabins, then the industry is well aware of where passengers priorities lie.

But it's good that there is a cheaper option for those whose budget will not extend to the cost of a balcony.

What I do wish, however, is that when trying to justify booking an inside cabin, passengers would refrain from that old  that old adage..."it's only for sleeping in". 

I think the fact is that with more and more cruise ships being built and balconies being well in the majority of available cabins, then the industry is well aware of where passengers priorities lie.

But it's good that there is a cheaper option for those whose budget will not extend to the cost of a balcony.

What I do wish, however, is that when trying to justify booking an inside cabin, passengers would refrain from that old  that old adage..."it's only for sleeping in".

Well unless the passenger can afford a Suite or an extremely large cabin then usually the size of a cabin is just that, For sleeping and showering. Some new ships are being built with extremely small balconies with only just enough room for a few chairs. In that instance much better to be out on deck or looking out through the large windows of the bar with a drink or two.

(image from  http://www.headsup-wh.org.uk/cruising-with-feeds/   )

post-2910-0-94782200-1423747742_thumb.jpg

However, there again it's personal choice. If I could only have a small balcony with a few, probably two chairs and a small table, I'd still rather have that than not have a balcony. It's all a matter of opinion. I'd rather be out on a small balcony, in my own space, able to pop inside for a coffee or drink or whatever, than looking out through the large windows of a bar! Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, just not my preference.

I agree that when I hear, a cabin is only for sleeping in,my reaction is well not for us it's not. We spend a lot of time out on our balcony - and no we're not anti-social, we also go around the ship, enjoy table companions company, go to talks etc. but for us the private space is worth paying for.

DavidH likes this

I agree that ships are being built with more balconies. The Royal and Regal Princess ships have no ocean view (window) cabins, just inside, balcony and suites. The increased number of balcony cabins on newer ships makes the price differential smaller.

Where I disagree, firstly, is that anyone had to justify booking an inside cabin, and secondly that there is anything wrong with saying that a cabin is just for sleeping. Different people have different styles when cruising. When we have a balcony we may spend a little more time in our cabin, but for us cruising is about either being off the ship exploring interesting destinations or being with others around the ship. We have plenty of solo or couple time at home or at our cottage. I know that our sons, who have busy family and work lives, appreciate the chance to enjoy private time on their balcony, at least they did when we cruised with them and could look after the grandchildren, but for us that is not a priority.

Terminator likes this

I agree with you in that I believe no-one has to justify booking any particular type of cabin. There is nothing wrong in saying that "For them" the cabin is just for sleeping - it's just not that for us! It's what I said in my previous posting - it's all a matter of choice and all anyone can say is what is their preference. So no-one should have to justify saying a cabin is just for sleeping any more than I should have to justify that a balcony is an essential for us.

It's great that there is so much choice - and it should be possible for anyone to say what their preference is without anyone telling them they've got it wrong. Sorry if I've gone on a bit but I feel strongly that everyone should be able to say what their choice is.

On a slightly different angle it's always surprised me that if anyone posts on certain sites that they have booked a suite they can, on occasion get referred to as "snobs". This seems to be very much a British thing. On American sites there are often questions posted about for example, suites on Princess ships. The responses are always helpful - people who have been in suites talking about location etc. Responses on some British sites are not always so friendly. The first time we had a suite I thought twice about posting a review - not on this site, it wasn't in existence then, because I knew what some of the responses would be - and they were. I'm not sure why this is.

DavidH likes this

I agree with you in that I believe no-one has to justify booking any particular type of cabin. There is nothing wrong in saying that "For them" the cabin is just for sleeping - it's just not that for us! It's what I said in my previous posting - it's all a matter of choice and all anyone can say is what is their preference. So no-one should have to justify saying a cabin is just for sleeping any more than I should have to justify that a balcony is an essential for us.

It's great that there is so much choice - and it should be possible for anyone to say what their preference is without anyone telling them they've got it wrong. Sorry if I've gone on a bit but I feel strongly that everyone should be able to say what their choice is.

On a slightly different angle it's always surprised me that if anyone posts on certain sites that they have booked a suite they can, on occasion get referred to as "snobs". This seems to be very much a British thing. On American sites there are often questions posted about for example, suites on Princess ships. The responses are always helpful - people who have been in suites talking about location etc. Responses on some British sites are not always so friendly. The first time we had a suite I thought twice about posting a review - not on this site, it wasn't in existence then, because I knew what some of the responses would be - and they were. I'm not sure why this is.

The Class system is still alive and well..................... and living in the UK, sad to say!!

The difference in price is ever increasing...we took a balcony when cruising the Adriatic and found we preferred to be up on high decks to appreciate the panorama, especially during the sail away.....and were often on the shady side of the ship when we had time to use the balcony. Also the shore frequently seemed to be on the "other" side.

Last June, sailing the Baltic with Celebrity , the difference was £1,000 per passenger with a balcony, which for us is a significant amount towards our next trip.

The itinerary ports were incredible, a wonderful memorable cruise.