Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GiGi

Memorable Food

20 posts in this topic

We have been lucky enough to have visited some lovley places and eaten in some very good restaurants. However when we recently had a discussion about what dishes were the most memorable our choices were a surprise.

Wild mushroom soup with truffle oil at Turnberry golf course hotel. This wasn't just soup it was super soup!

Iberian pork steaks in a small restaurant in Seville. If you've never had pork from the acorn eating black pigs you're in for a surprise.

Tomato fritters on Santorini. When done well they are to die for and only work with Santorini tomatoes.

Meat rolls with mashed potatoes in a eight table restaurant hidden in the tiny back streets in Mykonos town. Just torpedo shaped meat balls that were full of herbs and melted in the mouth, delicious.

There were others but none of them were fancy mains from posh, celebrity chef, top end restaurants.

What foods are up there in your top food memories?

Land Ahoy likes this

I have always tried different dishes on cruises, things I may not order in a restaurant.  But my most memorable meal is for different reasons.  While on a land based holiday in Goa we dared to eat in the “Beach Shacks” which all the hotels tried to advise you against.   We had one of the best fish platters I have ever tasted literally caught in front of us for less than you would pay for a bar of chocolate.  Some would call the surrounding basic I prefer rustic.

I remember on our very first cruise they had cold soups on the menu. Up to that point the only cold soups we ever had were actually supposed to hot, or at the very least warm! We both tried the Carnival cold pumpkin soup and it was great!

In 1980 I was travelling through Galicia with two Spanish colleagues on the way to Santiago De Compostela Airport for a flight to Madrid, and we were looking for somewhere for lunch. In a sleepy village one of them identified a restaurant in what looked like nothing more than a large terraced house to me, and after checking it out he beckoned us in.

The restaurant was empty and an attractive young woman dressed as though she had just appeared out of a "Sharpe" film set appeared to take our order, and one of my Spanish colleagues ordered for all of us, then informing us that we were having spider crab.

The huge crab was served with the shell containing delicious juices which we all shared before tucking into the crab legs.

At the end of the meal I asked what was in the juices to which my colleague beckoned "they are from the crab stomach".

I then wish that I had not asked, but some years later I decided to try and buy a spider crab from the "crab stall" in Sheffield market.

"They all go to Spain" was the reply.

I have eaten in many memorable venues but not all the food was that memorable. The following are probably the most memorable because of the setting and excellent food.

Great Pizza at an Italian in The Rocks, Sydney.

Large Baracudda cooked and eaten at a beach shack in Cavelossim, Goa.

Steak cooked over charcoal at Mercado Del Puerto, Motivideo

Conger Eel at Matetic Winery in San Antonio valley between Valparasio and Santiago.

All were delightful and helped me arrange a diet when I returned home.

We have eaten some excellent dishes in restaurants. But some of the most memorable have been rather more casual, the jerk ribs cooked on a oil drum barbecue in St Martin , the ice creams from the takeaway called 'The Frigidaireum' in Rome,the most amazing hot dogs from a street vendor in Amsterdam,fresh seafood tapas in Barcelona market,and local recipe soup with black bread and local pastries for dessert in a tiny cafe in a backstreet turret in Tallin. 

One treat I missed off my original list was during a trip to Capri. We were wandering through the little back streets when we were met with an amazing smell. It was a tiny bakery making the square pizzas and they sold it by the slice. We got a piece and sat on a wall outside and went to pizza heaven, it was delicious, so much so we had to go back and get another slice. I've never tasted pizza like that anywhere since and that was over twenty years ago.

DavidH likes this

Hi  The dover sole in the Magpie Café in Whitby is simple but delicious.   The mushroom soup served in a bread bowl in Prego's (Crystal Serenity) is definitely the finest starter course I have ever had on a cruise ship.  For dessert Gary Rhodes Bread and Butter Pudding.

DavidH likes this

I believe the queues caused such a problem the council/police had to call upon a law that prevented congregations of more than certain numbers and punters had to wait across the road !

I've always wanted to go to the Magpie at Whitby. Do their chips taste like the best roast potatoes in the world.

HIThey don't taste like the best roast potatoes but they are brilliant chips.  However, it the fish which rises the dishes to a different level.  If you do get around to visiting don't expect designer chic it's not about the surroundings but the quality of the food served.

DavidH likes this

I believe the queues caused such a problem the council/police had to call upon a law that prevented congregations of more than certain numbers and punters had to wait across the road !

The good news is that, if you can't get in at the Magpie, then Trenchers is not far away - neither in distance nor quality.