Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CruiseGeek

Noisy Cruise Neighbours - How Do You Politely Tell Next Door To Shut Up?

20 posts in this topic

My parents recently returned from a 2 week cruise. They came back slightly annoyed because their neighbours were always noisy. They did report it to reception but said it didn't help. They didn't want to confront them personally as it would have made it awkward for the remainder of their cruise.

Has anyone here ever been in this situation? How did you dealt with it?

AuntyCaz likes this

In all honesty I have never had this problem, apart from the odd bangs when you wonder what on earth is going on next door, never really heard voices. Had the other odd time you can hear the TV but never had it where its happened all through a cruise.

We have never had noisy neighbours but if we did I would report it at the reception and keep on to them if it did not stop,it is after all there problem to resolve the situation not yours.

Why should you have to confront noisy people and end up possibly having friction between you and fellow passengers let the people who are paid to sort it out do it.wink.png

DavidH and RiverSong like this

Hmm tough one this one. I would agree with ron, if it's persistently annoying to you then you need to be persistently annoying the reception desk and making your feelings known. It shouldn't have to be something that ruins your holiday or makes you feel uncomfortable after waiting with anticipation to get on your cruise. Leave it to them but make sure they deal with it and keep badgering them till they do.

There are people who have no idea, or give a damn, about how living their life impacts on others, especially in the confines of cabins on ships.  Generally speaking if you have to point out to someone o be considerate you've probably wasted your time because it hasn't entered their head in the first place to be mindful of others.  In all probability, the neighbours are going to know it is you who has complained anyway.

I have cruised a fair amount with different cruise lines and never had any issues with ongoing noise. I know on some ships the walls are paper thin which means you hear the occasional bang here and there.

Never faced this problem, but have heard a few TV's in the late evening from next cabin. I agree with Ron and feel that if you virtually camp at reception, they should sort it. Maybe ask to speak to the "accomodation manager" if nothing done in the first couple of attempts. We took this approach when noisy Air Conditioner and Pump room kept us awake, it worked eventually.

I think that the term "noisy" is subjective, what is unacceptable noise to some people is not to others. To make a viable complaint the detail needs to be elucidated, as for example playing loud music in the middle of the night is very different from say mid-afternoon.

Reception will get dozens of complaints for one thing or another, and not all will be treated seriously.

The best approach may well be to ask reception to check their "Health and Safety and Environmental Impact Documentation" with regards to what the maximum allowable sustained noise decibel level from an adjacent cabin is, thereby "throwing the ball into their court".

My parents say it was mainly the TV and the fact they would then talk over the top of it - maybe the neighbours were hard of hearing - probably not much you can do if that's the case.

I had it on one cruise whereby the tv was blaring loudly until the early hours. It was so bad that when I reported it and the deck officer came up, he couldn't even make himself heard by the occupants and had to let himself in. On a couple of occasions the occupants weren't even in the cabin and they hadn't realised they had left it on, they were actually hard of hearing but when they were spoken to they did turn it down to a dull hum…

Travelled with extended family one year and although no prob in my cabin , there were two teenagers playing electric guitar in their cabin all hours of day and night next door to members of my family . They complained to reception on numerous occasions and spoke to the boys but nothing was done . Reception said that they had a right to enjoy their cripuise as well !

Why on earth were they allowed to take guitars on board ?

By the way their parents cabin was on another deck!

My parents recently returned from a 2 week cruise. They came back slightly annoyed because their neighbours were always noisy. They did report it to reception but said it didn't help. They didn't want to confront them personally as it would have made it awkward for the remainder of their cruise.

Has anyone here ever been in this situation? How did you dealt with it?

We had the same problem on our recent Grand Voyage which was for 77 nights. Our neighbours tended to shout at one another when chatting very late night. So much so, that it woke my OH.

I knew that we had to do something and took the opportunity when I was behind them in a queue early on in the cruise.

I tapped her on the shoulder, introduced myself as her next door neighbour and mentioned, very politely, that their voices late at night woke us up. She was extremely apologetic and thanked me for mentioning it. From then on, they were as quiet as church mice.

I find the selfishness or ignorance of people leaving their balcony doors open,causing that howling / whistling noise down the corridor annoying, easily stopped by placing a  rolled up towel by the door on the floor. If I leave my balcony door open then I always place a towel inside my cabin by the door to prevent it.

The Banging of cabin doors early in the morning around 6ish and afternoon if having a siesta . Some people think that they are up so everyone should be.

However I find  the sound generates not normally from my immediate neighbours  but from others along the corridor.

We had a cabin at the back of us who always had the TV on and it used to blare out we could hear the words, we complained to reception they came and investigated the person in the cabin would fall asleep they let themselves in.

We also went under the prom deck and had runners pounding the decks early every morning waking us .FG

We have cruised about 30-35 times, and even have Princess Elite status, but we have given up on all the major cruise lines because the ships are filling with 'low life' .  We do not live with that at home and we are not going to live with it on holiday.  We have transferred our cruise holiday allegiance to a small, exclusive cruise company - no noise, no low life and absolutely fabulous service.

We have cruised about 30-35 times, and even have Princess Elite status, but we have given up on all the major cruise lines because the ships are filling with 'low life' .  We do not live with that at home and we are not going to live with it on holiday.  We have transferred our cruise holiday allegiance to a small, exclusive cruise company - no noise, no low life and absolutely fabulous service.

I must be the low life as I can only afford to book with one of the major cruise lines. It is my way of getting the holidays in. Like many I object to passengers treating the crew and other passengers as "below status". If there is too much noise from the next cabin I wait until I know they are there, go out on the balcony, and start moaning about them. Its amazing how it works.

Had a couple in the next hutch who were on their 50th anniversary, on Adonia P&O  for a long voyage. Husband was always slamming the cabin door and shouting at his wife for buying things. How they lasted 50 years of marriage? She was a bit of a fishwife anyway.

We left notes in their 'postbox' by the cabin but it made no difference, nor did complaints to reception. they went off on a 3 day trip and we realised that on Adonia all doors are noisy closers but not as bad as when being slammed. Some people just do not know how to close a door gently, just barge in and let the door go.

Thank goodness for that HOW DARE LOW LIFE go on a cruise ship with yousad.png sad.png

Carolyn and Falmouthgirl like this