Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Worrying Words From An Airline Pilot

16 posts in this topic

What are the most worrying words you have heard from an airline pilot?

For me it was a Scandinavian Airlines captain attempting to leave the terminal for the second time after returning with a computer problem.

"The on-board computer now err (long pause) seems to be working"

Two minutes later he "threw in the towel" and conceded that a new plane was needed.

Upon landing we where greeted with 'folks we seem to have a lot of low lying cloud tonight.... we can't see a thing up here so we will be landing by computer guidance' to be fair probably the smoothest landing we have had.

"Welcome to this brand new Dreamliner, this is its fourth flight, we are having a few technical problems"!!!

The flight was fine, really comfortable can really recommend the Dreamliner

After two attempts to land on a snowy runway in Montreal, the second of which took us so low that we could see the snow ploughs almost beside us, we ascended very sharply.  The captain said "They may call that clear, I do not.  Ladies and Gentlemen we are on our way to Toronto."  I couldn't believe the complaints from people around me.  Would they have preferred the captain to risk a dangerous landing so they could get home?  We would have had to make a connection to get to Toronto, so we were home several hours early.

Sheila

We need to jump start the engine. If you do not wish to fly with us your luggage will have to be found and off loaded. Only 6 people left. Did not include husband and myself, we had to be back to UK for work. Very quiet, tense atmosphere once we finally got going.

The worst was from a family member on the aircraft as the captain advised it was standard practice for the United States fire service to chase the plane down the runway as it came in to land (nothing to do with the engine fire!!!!!!!!!)

& more recently which gave people the jitters, the plane was coming into land during a storm and as we hovered above the runway the pilot aborted, as we came round for the 2nd time it was the captain rather than the co-pilot flying( the excuse was priceless- another plane on the runway- this airport only receives about 4 flights a day & not a plane in sight) Judging by this companys record this week I think a little porky pie was the order of the day

Brace, Brace, Brace!!!

Mick Miller the comedian on Azura this week told a joke on the brace position starting with the stewardess requesting that passengers put their heads between their legs to simulate landing in an emergency situation, the response being that "If I could get my head between my legs I wouldn't be flying to Thailand would I?".

I was flying to Sri Lanka to do some volunteer work after the tsunami. My Mum has always been very supportive of my travels but this time she had expressed her concerns and made me research on the Tamil Tigers (For those who aren't aware who these are, these are a terrorist group in northern Sri Lanka. But me being me I still went ahead and booked flights there!

We were almost there and the captain said 'we are making a diversion to another airport as the Tamil Tigers have taken over the airport' My mum's words were ringing in my head at this point!

Myself and my friend looked at each other and we both said there's only one airport in Sri Lanka... looked o the screen and the plane was flying to India. So we had a VERY long wait on an Indian airport runway whilst the army moved on the Tamil Tigers and re-open the airport! In the end we were late to start the volunteer work but we got there eventually!