Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Recommended Holiday Reading

10 posts in this topic

Hi  Don't do too harsh on me but I have just come back from a land based in Southern Spain visiting the old Moorish cities including Granada and Rhonda.  I usually download a couple of "appropriate" novels on my Kindle.  This year it was the Tales from the Alhambra by Washington Irving (worth reading and informs the reader of the history and legends of this impressive citadel).  Do you consider reading novels set in the areas you visit and in addition I am going on a cruise to the Canaries later in the year and I don't know novels set in this region can anybody recommend any?

Gosh you put my holiday reading to shame! I shall be in Gran Canaria in two weeks but going with me shall be a Sophie Kinsella and a Val McDermid.

I don't know any novels set on the Islands but Furteventura has quite a violent past, we did an island tour and the guide was excellent we had no idea about the bloody battles that took place. A book about the history of the islands would be interesting. If you take an island tour of Furteventura take a little bag of unsalted peanuts with you as they may stop at a place where the wild chipmunks will come up and take them from your hands, very cute indeed.

GiGi

Cannot suggest any novels but there must be some about how the Castilians got control of the Canaries, or the story around how Nelson lost his arm there.

If a person wanted to read a book to gain a true perspective on the location that they were visiting then I find that it would have to be fact based, to read a fictional novel that was supposedly based in a certain place can be a let down and based purely on supposition. It depends on what you want at the end of the day.

I can recommend "Confessions of a Holiday Rep" by Cy Flood, this is partly based in the Canaries (during my time there as well, im not saying which character i am though)

I can recommend "Confessions of a Holiday Rep" by Cy Flood, this is partly based in the Canaries (during my time there as well, im not saying which character i am though)

From Tales from the Alhambra, to Confessions of a Holiday Rep...? 

Two very different reads

Visiting Rome inspired me to read "The Empire" series of books by Conn Iggulden. They were excellent, but normally I just sit in the sun and read books that are easy on the brain - Lee Child, Peter James, Karin Slaughter etc.

The Ibsen play "Brand" was apparently set with Geirangerfjord as a backdrop so would be appropriate reading for a fjords cruise.

Not sure how well it would go down if this play was put on as part of the entertainment programme on board ship, but it would certainly offer more dinner conversation potential than a "tribute act".

Land Ahoy likes this